Bad Cubing Experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about this Al. My thoughts are with you :'(

Cheers mate...at last some sympathy :icon_cheers: ...will chuck out the cube and keep going. If it happens again I might look into chilling..but I do like having cubes around ready to pitch whenever I want!

The same thing happened to me, I got really pissed off after having to throw out all those expensive ingredients. I found the seal in the cap had a slight twist in it and when I picked the cube up to put it into the fridge some air must have got in.

I've replaced the seal (after giving the inside of the cap a thorough cleaning) and haven't had any further problems.

Ok so you was the bung section covered with hot wort whilst it was upside down? I make sure when i put it on its side that the bung side is on the ground, I beleive the bung section is more likely to cause infection than the handle part, but thats my opinion.

Cheers
I agree. The one time I lost a cube to swelling was a triple decocted bo pils and I reckon it was from the bung. The penetration was a bit rough and could have harboured a nasty or 2.

Always worth giving the bung and o-ring a little soaking in PBW/napisan when doing the same with the cube.

Could be a bacteria orgy around that rubber bad boy...

Sponge

This has never happened to me, but if it did I'd dump the whole cube in the bin and buy a fresh wort kit from craftbrewer. Then I'd think of it more like losing $50 rather than losing a batch of beer.

Back