Back to wine/cider brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeFinch

Reaction score
Hello all,

It's been a while since I last brewed. Did a couple back in the UK that involved monster (a caffeinated beverage) and some Cordial in another, both somehow worked even with preservatives etc.
This time I got my hands on a crate of red and green apples and decided to core and blend them in a nutri bullet with a splash of water. 20+ blends later I realised I just needed the juice and not the fibre, couldn't get ahold of some muslin but big w had these mesh net fruit and veg bags, worked a treat in seperating the juice from the fibre.
Anyway chucked the juice into a carboy, mixed some sugar and water over a hob just hot enough to dissolve the sugar. Took the packet of cider yeast and mixed it with a little of the juice and warm sugar to activate the yeast for 10mins. Threw the sugar water and yeast into the carboy stirred to perfection. Took a quick SG reading 1.059 and sealed with an airlock shook once a day for 3 days. Left for a total of 13 days (looking back longer that I thought) anywho final SG 0.094, giving a final ABV 14.5%. Cider is light, with a medium to dry mouth and a hint of carbonation, I've bottled it again big w came in handy with some pop top bottles for $2!! Now just got to wait. In the mean time I got a small sample in the fridge to enjoy. I definitely think it needs time to settle and age.

your ABV is more like 8% to 9% How did you get 14% from SG 1059 OG 994?
Also if it was 14% it would be rocket fuel not cider.

I think he actually used the 0.094 he said in his post as opposed to the 0.994 it probably was.
Although that would be about 126%

Yeah missed the extra 9 so yeah 0. 994 which is 8% to 9%. Thanks for that.
I didnt realise that posts were verified before being reased so I created a shorter second!

Latest posts

Back