Australian Story On Abc1 Last Night

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fents

Not a Beer God
Reaction score
Hey did anyone see the program Australian Story on AB! last night at 8.30pm? It was about the Drayton Winery in the Hunter Valley, remember the one that had a massive explosion and killed 2 people last year?

It was a mad story, really touching. Basically in the accident they lost one of the Drayton brothers plus a contract welder that was doing welding at the time i think. Also another one of the workers i forget his name got really badly burnt by the explosion and there was a big part on him recovering and finally going back to work, first steps back in the winery etc - all the Draytons agreed he now has a job for life and may even become the first non family memebr wine maker.

So they had this massive explosion right at the time they were meant to pick and make wine but no more winery to make it in....So all the local winemakers (Bruce Tyrell etc, cant remember the other names someone here will know), help to pick their grapes and make their wine for them, i think Tyrells did the white and a couple of others did the rest.

And you know what really got me, all the wine makers sitting round a table and someone asks why would you make someone else's wine? pretty sure someone replied with well wouldnt you want to help them out?

How good is Australia when someones down the next bloke comes along and picks em up off the floor.

Its the Aussie way.

Biggups the Draytons and everyone who helped them out.

thats a good one. pity i missed it :(
pity livestock don't grow on vines, could've made the drought easier.

thats a good one. pity i missed it

Go to their website and you can read the text, or if you have enough bandwidth, download the movie and watch it. They update it after a few day it is on TV.

Their database archive is huge and there are dozens of interesting stories they have done on wine making and distilling in the past.

EDIT - just pinged at the line by ham2k!

Wirra in McLaren Vale had part of the winery fall over and a lot of McLaren Vale wineries helped them out. The wine industry can be pretty close.

The Hunter Valley is pretty tight knit.

Thanks for letting us know Fents.

I just watched it over lunch...

Link

Rook

More generally, with the AUD$ heading south, this would be a brilliant time to be making wine for export - and beer as well, not to mention planting every square inch you can if you are a hop farmer. I bet Coca Cola are jumping up and down with glee at the moment re their new brewery at Tuggerah NSW.

The wine industry can be pretty close.

Nepotism!

Can can be dangerous if you tread on the wrong toes, but you usually don't get killed or your equipment destroyed. It's only outsiders that try and come in and take our grapes and wimenz!
:angry:

Nepotism!

Can can be dangerous if you tread on the wrong toes, but you usually don't get killed or your equipment destroyed. It's only outsiders that try and come in and take our grapes and wimenz!
:angry:

Perhaps if you make wine in Griffith!

I grew up in the Leeton/Griffith area...had LOTS of Italian's living around us..

Great people, very friendly, made great salamie's, BUT....things did happen around the place that one could not explain, or ask questions about...

;)

I grew up in the Leeton/Griffith area...had LOTS of Italian's living around us..

Great people, very friendly, made great salamie's, BUT....things did happen around the place that one could not explain, or ask questions about...

Don't be afraid Stu, they're all Goodfellas :lol:

;)

I have just spent the last several years living in griffith. I taught Casella (yellow tail) and DeBortoli kids and children of many other Italian famalies and a nicer, more generous group of people you would not find. The school i was at was a growing school and the families donated enough money to build extra classrooms.

I was invited to salami days and sauce days where the families would get together to make their salami and pasta sauce for the year and given plenty to keep my family going, as well as dinners and many other social events. They are a very tight knit, family orientated community who are not afraid of some hard work.

I never saw anything that made me the least bit uncomfortable despite the rumours about the place prior to moving there.

Back