Australian craft beer standards

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chunkious said:
Moondog are trippa's
They sure do get rowdy after a few beers too! I think its great. Did you see the pic of their new beer on twitter? was pure lol's.

biggo said:
On the other hand I have had some great beers
  • Boneyard brewing - Golden ale
I'm happy to hear it, and glad that it survived the trip across the Nullarbor! Boneyard is a gypsy brewing company so I have limited control over the stability our live beer which is largely dictated by the production and packaging processes that are available.

More often than not stale or overcarbonated beer can be avoided if the distribution and sales network (wholesalers, freight companies, bottle shops) treated the beer with a little more respect and transported and stored it cold or at least cool. A large problem is the cost associated with cold freight and the practicality of cold storage (unless the shop has been built with this in mind). You'd be shocked at the conditions in which many bottle shops store their beer because they (rightfully) don't think that their customers would be willing to bare the additional cost of cold freight and storage or improving their facilities. A lot of pubs or small bars are also often to blame due to inadequate draught beer hygiene and can quite easily destroy a perfectly good beer.

Everyone has the right to (and should) return bad beer - and I think more people need to do this if the problem (of either improper handling or just a bad batch) is to be addressed. Brewers don't love hearing about bad beer but appreciate constructive criticism and prefer to know if their beer has gone bad in a particular state or in a particular store so they can fix it. Episode 3 of The Checkout (on ABC iView) had a great feature on consumer affairs and I think a lot of the points raised are applicable to beer - so get informed about your rights and exercise them with confidence!

Brendan is right about the returns. If everyone just drinks a bad beer and never buys it again, the retailer gets the message that it is simply unpopular and that they should have stuck to the original plan to dedicate more floor space to Corona.

I always enquire as to what stock is fresh. I am only willing to pay the premium (esp in Perth) for beer that is actually fresh. I try to get it into the retailer's head that that is actually my primary consideration. I would prefer fresh VB to stale Rogue/whatever.

The thing that shits me to tears about aussie craft beer in pubs is that they serve it at the same temperature as the mega swill. At 1C you may as well be drinking the cheaper stuff!

I've had a gusher from Murrays. One 'AngryMan' in Brisbane and another from the brewery 'BigWednesday' At the brewery Murray noted that they were slightly over carbed but sold 6 for price of 2. All the taps were fine as was the Growler.

I've also had 4x4 boxes of NZ beers where they were all gushers, which was bloody annoying. Name escapes me but they bottle in 1/2 champagne bottles?
I blame the wholesalers who transport it slow and store it hot. If all beers were pasteurised it might not happen but I prefer live beers.

just had dinner at hargreaves hill in Yarra Glen. Have been there many times. These days since in the new brewery at Lilydale the beer is usually consistent. In the older days at the older brewery the beer could often have faults in it and sometimes major ones. After being brought out a Pale Ale that was very very cloudy today and explaining APA should not be served that way another glass was served up the same , very very cloudy. Asking for a ESB instead they happily obliged but the lady delivering that glass of beer argued that some people like the pale ale with all that yeast in it. She informed me she was "Simon's wife" who is the brewer.
I am used to ordering their Stout and having it served very cold. Today I laughed when I could clearly see them waiting for me to finish my ESB before even pouring my stout I had ordered twenty minutes before. It's a shame that despite getting a really good brewery engineered and built they don't pay attention to serving the beer up at correct temperature let alone allowing it to go out cloudy twice. If it were their hefe or aussie pale fair enough but don't they appreciate the point of difference in their product compared to mega brewery beers? Maybe the beer is not high on their agenda at the Yarra Glen cafe?

brendanos said:
I'm happy to hear it, and glad that it survived the trip across the Nullarbor! Boneyard is a gypsy brewing company so I have limited control over the stability our live beer which is largely dictated by the production and packaging processes that are available.

More often than not stale or overcarbonated beer can be avoided if the distribution and sales network (wholesalers, freight companies, bottle shops) treated the beer with a little more respect and transported and stored it cold or at least cool. A large problem is the cost associated with cold freight and the practicality of cold storage (unless the shop has been built with this in mind). You'd be shocked at the conditions in which many bottle shops store their beer because they (rightfully) don't think that their customers would be willing to bare the additional cost of cold freight and storage or improving their facilities. A lot of pubs or small bars are also often to blame due to inadequate draught beer hygiene and can quite easily destroy a perfectly good beer.

Everyone has the right to (and should) return bad beer - and I think more people need to do this if the problem (of either improper handling or just a bad batch) is to be addressed. Brewers don't love hearing about bad beer but appreciate constructive criticism and prefer to know if their beer has gone bad in a particular state or in a particular store so they can fix it. Episode 3 of The Checkout (on ABC iView) had a great feature on consumer affairs and I think a lot of the points raised are applicable to beer - so get informed about your rights and exercise them with confidence!
Some Aussie craft brewers take pains to ensure their beer is properly treated if going into a long supply chain, or they don't sell it.

If some can why not all? I suppose it depends on whether the brewer cares more about making a sale that he does about his product and how his customers will receive it.

Brewers should not lay the problem of badly handled beer entirely at the feet of the consumer.

I recall back in the day when Coopers moved from Leabrook to Regency Park they had a load of issues with crap beer / yeast gone bad etc.
Got to the point where I would crack one at the bottle shop and both myself and the counter dude would try it. Many, many were returned. It can happen to anyone.

I had a holiday in central Victoria and really enjoyed both the Bridge Rd and Bright breweries, stunning beers and lovely surrounds. Vale Pale and IPA are quite nice too.
Brew Boys do a very drinkable few, sampled many on a recent trip to Adelaide. A great restaurant stocked these and I was there a lot, a nearby wine / tapas bar had only Corona... FFS.

I haven't read every post but I dont agree that Australia is not up to standard. I have had an untold amount of Australian craft beer which is off it's titts I guess it's personal preference.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I once had a beer I liked.

Then another time I had a beer I didn't like.

Not For Horses said:
Just read this whole thread. This is a more than adequate conclusion.
and here we are, three pages later.

manticle said:
I have piles
piles...piles of what?...good beer...bad beer....FFS man, make yourself clear.

I too once had a bad beer and also on another occassion and some other time as well.

Back