Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to, however it'll be best being driven by some of the better resourced clubs (like the one I'm in).
Mate, that comes across as nothing but a cop-out.

I believe the expression "Put-up or shut-up" is the appropriate Aussie vernacular here....

This address?
upload_2017-12-17_16-55-8.png

I judge in comps whenever I can, one point I would like to make.
I'm judging the beer in front of me, in the glass, on that day!
I have also entered enough competitions to know the frustration that comes with a score that I think doesn't reflect the beer I entered.
But as a judge, I score that beer in that glass for what it is, not what the brewer thinks it should be,

Every comp I have judged in had a calibration beer and the judges had to agree on each beer within 5 points, at the state (NSW) comp this year I had to resort to calling in the head steward a couple of times. I'm fully aware that we all taste things differently, I know I'm better at some flavours than at others, that it is possible for judges to interpret the style descriptions differently - the point being to try to judge fairly.

Ok maybe judging isn't all it could be, but if you want better judges become one, study up on beer tasting, sit the exam, get involved in local comps - if there aren't any - join a club (start one) organise a comp, even just get some fellow brewers together and learn to taste critically. Its a pretty steep learning curve.
I can also tell you from experience, judging has never been better, I well remember when it was totally subjective, with no style guides, no training... Now that was something worth whinging about, and working to change.
Mark
Late to the party but spot on.

Having said that and read mr no tip’s posts as well as many critical responses - judges do have a responsibility, under bjcp guidlines to offer meaningful, legibly written feedback. I know (not judged nats but judged most vic comps more than once and a tas state comp, bjcp certified) that it ain’t easy but not being easy ain’t an excuse. Do your best, whether competitor or judge. Strive, always to do better.

And that is why I haven't had a beer in any competition for nearly 10yrs . I did enter my beer in the Vicbrew comp and got 5th place it was a red IPA one judge wrote "Mild ,Caramel and Fruity Hops , nothing particularly stands out " and another judge wrote " medium fruity aroma no malt aroma " So tell me why I should enter comps when I get crap like this written for an American IPA and I only entered it for the club as over the past few years entries had been dwindling .

PS : The then club president said it was a strong 42 pointer . You do know the club president that I am talking about Manticle .

I've only really known one club president because I've only belonged to (and been actively involved with) one club. However it's a bit much to use feedback from 'nearly 10 years ago' as a reason to be critical of the currently run national comp, don't you think?

First time I got in the nats, I got rubbish feedback too (beers did ok, no complaints) but that has no bearing on 2017 besides me understanding that judges have a responsibility to offer the best feedback they can to all competitors. Hell, some of my best scoring beers (eg. 42+, vicbrew) had the least feedback and while I happily accepted the win, I expected more. As a judge I expect more from myself.

Sorry I should have put a date in .It was this years Vic Comp . The point I was making is that the feedback hasn't changed .It is only because that this person is well qualified as a BJCP and gave it a good appraisel that I put it into this years Vic comp . Over the last few months the club has been tasting different members beer and through the guidence of our old club president giving better feedback on what we taste see and smell and that is what is lacking in the judging . Yeah aint it a bitch when you get a score like that and the judges write even less . My point again they are not writing what they taste , smell and see they're only going by what the style suggests .

Last edited:
I agree that many judges need to step up their game. BJCP qualification should mean more effort is made, rather than less.

Not necessarily comp organiser's fault (actually not at all) but if you're going to make the effort to judge, actually make the effort.

Written as someone who has experienced trying to articulate himself on a scoresheet after the 24th belgian strong ale that morning.

Mate, that comes across as nothing but a cop-out.

I believe the expression "Put-up or shut-up" is the appropriate Aussie vernacular here....

With a warm inviting attitude like that, it's hard to imagine why more people don't get involved.

The bloke was volunteering the services of his club to get involved and assist with the next one. If you shoot everyone done who volunteers, no wonder you / your club is the only one who has to organise everything.

I know winkle and he's in one of the bigger Brisbane clubs, and he means what he says. It's better if his club gets involved as a unit rather than just him by himself.

With a warm inviting attitude like that, it's hard to imagine why more people don't get involved.

The bloke was volunteering the services of his club to get involved and assist with the next one. If you shoot everyone done who volunteers, no wonder you / your club is the only one who has to organise everything.

I know winkle and he's in one of the bigger Brisbane clubs, and he means what he says. It's better if his club gets involved as a unit rather than just him by himself.
OK, fair enough. With a re-read, it seems I mis-interpreted his post.

If you'll forgive me, I get kinda jack with the keyboard warriors around here that are full of criticism & deep wisdom on how things should be run, but have never actually got up from their computer to volunteer or DO something. This kinda thing needs DOERS, not effete idealists who think that humping multiple crates full of beer up & down multiple flights of stairs is below them.

If a club can get their members organised to provide facilities & bodies to get the job done, I absolutely agree that it's probably better than calling for disparate individuals who may or may not turn-up when the task needs it.

Take what is critical useful feedback Martin (which some of it is) and ignore all that isn’t. Comps are a big, multiple person effort to get off the ground, honest feedback helps make every one better than the last.

Folks,

Can we take a step-back & a collective deep breath before moving-on with this conversation?

Yeah, I can be a bit feisty & opinionated at times, but mostly, if I was any more laid-back, I'd be in a coma - except when I'm involved in trying to get the Vicbrew competition to a conclusion on time. That's my role as Chief Steward & I stand on the shoulders of giants (the rest of the Committee) who have put-in the hard-yards to get it to that point. I'm just the mouthy git who stands up on the day & makes it look like he's in control (Nobody should try checking my pulse-rate & adrenaline-levels on the Saturday morning!).

For the record, I'm NOT on the AABC Committee, which is essentially an email-group that only meets in person once a year. A spot was offered to me, but I declined, based on anecdotal feedback from a couple of the Vicbrew Committee who are also on the National Committee. Bun-fight. Not interested. My only involvement in the AABC is when it's held in Victoria & I'm happy to do WHATEVER it takes to get the job done.

The efficacy of the National competition in any particular year seems to depend on the ability of the local (ie. State) organising body to get themselves sorted-out. I can assure you that the Victorian organising Committee (Vicbrew) is a well-oiled machine that's been at it for ages. We all know each other personally, respect each other, meet in person, thrash-out issues over a few bevvies & occasionally agree to disagree. It's a system that works. Other state bodies seem less well-organised/cooperative.

If we can get a properly cooperative National committee that seeks & delegates the same efficiency to other states when hosting the Nationals (if it needs to be via a single club-based organisation, then all well & good), you'll get no bleating, moaning or keyboard-warrioring from me.

A committee & its delegates needs to be COMMITTED and ultimately held responsible for the outcome.

Just wondering if anyone had received their medals for placing in the AABC Comp? I got an email that said they would be posted out late Jan, but as yet, I have not received anything. Just wondering if everyone else is in the same boat or mine may have been lost in the post?

I only just discovered the email about the medals, so sent a reply asking for an update as I haven't received one.

Has anyone tried AABC central, or have a recent response on the medals?

Last edited:
Wow, my first ever post (I think) and I've been a member for yonks (2009) and brewer for yonkser (1989)

Martin take a chill pill lovey, although most of what you say is spot on.
Everyone else listen to Martin.

We need people on the ground and a much improved AABC committee, strategy etc. I would like all of you posters to just sit back and relax (and enjoy a homebrew......) and consider where the US homebrew scene was thirty years ago. Basically, 50 years ahead of us, and we sit here bitching. I know we had pioneers too, and some of them are still around doing the gruntwork. So I suggest to the vast majority of complainers out there, poor judging sheets are currently and occasionally part of the system at the moment despite the badge (and I am guilty I'm sure). You need to keep training and judging and brewing. Or we can change it. Step up and build the culture you want, just get away from the screen and engage people

Right. Where the flock are the AABC and the WA committee. I want my yeast at least, and any other booty coming my way.

Does anyone know what has happened to the AABC 2017 prizes, communication etc?? I replied to the email in December (?) and have heard nothing.

Cheers
Bryce
dont even know if I have an appropriate handle

Back