Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Results haven't been announced at any comps I've judged until after it was all done and dusted.

You may find out some good scores by talking with fellow judges e.g., "Our table had a 47 point RIS which was absolutely outstanding", but not many judges will say much other than "we're getting some good/bad/etc beers so far" until it's finished.

As Parks says, the results are usually checked over (to make sure scores have been added up correctly, entered into the spreadsheet, and that the beers named 1st, 2nd 3rd correlate with the scoresheets).

If there are enough stewards, sometimes this can be happening as the beers are judged, but nothing is final until after the flight is concluded. Judges can call beers back to adjust their scores as they see fit.

hockadays said:
What goes on through the day of the event, is it worth going to the venue for a beers while it's being judged? Do they announce the results of each category as its happening? So many questions...
If you can make it, contact the organisers - they may be able to use you as a steward or something.

It's entirely up to them how they run their comp, but they are rarely spectator events. Helpers are usually welcomed tho'.

We finished judging around 3pm at the Charming Squire in Southbank, some great beers in my flight. Not sure where/when the results are being posted though.

The results are in!

Dave asked me to post this on his behalf, so please don't shoot the messenger ;)

Champion brewer
Name, Pts, Entries, Places
1 Jeff McGrath [WA], 9, 4, 3 x 1st, 0 x 2nd, 0 x 3rd
2 Kevin Hingston [ACT], 8, 5, 1 x 1st, 2 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd
=3 Paul Moseley [WA], 6, 2, 2 x 1st, 0 x 2nd, 0 x 3rd
=3 Nathan Semmens [QLD], 6, 10, 2 x 1st, 0 x 2nd, 0 x 3rd
=3 Steve Hogarth [ACT], 6, 3, 2 x 1st, 0 x 2nd, 0 x 3rd

Champion state
Place,State,Pts,Entries
1,WA,30,47
2,ACT,27,60
3,NSW,19,54
4,SA,13,52
5,QLD,11,60
6,Vic,5,49
7,Tas,3,20

See the HTML files for the full results.

Well done to everyone who entered beers, we certainly enjoyed judging them. Thanks to our interstate judges, and the local organising committee for a very smoothly run competition.

View attachment Australian Amateur Brewing Championship 2015 - Awards Summary.html

View attachment Australian Amateur Brewing Championship 2015 - Results By Style.html

View attachment champion_brewer.txt

View attachment champion_state.txt

Congrats to Darren from HUB, the dark ale takes 1st place once again... congrats to everyone who entered and thanks to the organisers, judges and stewards for turning the results around so quick!

Thanks for posting antmandan, thanks to all of the organisers, judges, stewards and venue.
Wooh Hoo!!!!! :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: Dazz's Dark Ale (Australian Dark Ale) has just taken it's 3rd win from the 3 comps it as been entered into, thanks very much Nick for your'e kind words, i still can't quite believe it, i'm keen to try your porter too mate. I've just poured myself one and there may be a few more to follow tonight :chug:

Thanks for the quick results!

Congrats to my man Jeff. Well deserved and welcome to the club ;)

Good showing from all the Canberra guys. Next year!

4 out of 17 beers scored under 20 at a national comp in the low alcohol category. Beers couldn't have been that bad! Well done Brettles on your Kolsch and Pils!

Anyone that gets a Gong in low alcohol category (State or National level) is a great brewer. No doubt about it.

Thanks to the nationals organizers and everyone that made this possible. Congrats to my friend Jeff McGrath!

Latest posts

Back