Australia Day Conundrum: Snag Angle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relative to grill bars running vertically, snags should go:

• 0 degs or North-South

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90 degs or East-West

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blackfish

Reaction score
So, I was on the back porch enjoying an amarillo ale and setting up some sausages for dinner when I was struck by a simple but important decision. Should the snags go horizontally across the grill bars or vertically in line with them?
Is it this way?
Snags_up.jpg

Or this way?
Snags_Across.jpg
In celebration of our great democracy and its outdoor cooking heritage, I ask you, fellow brewers: How do you place your sausage?

Discuss and decide

Definitely across the bars. Along the bars is simply unaustralian.

Running north-south on the hot plate. I don't use the grill for sausages.

If pressed to run sausages on the grill, they'd be north-south as well.

i FN hate snags and will only eat them at BBQ's, Bunnings and pissups. I try to arrange them in an abstract representation of the map of Australia to be doubly patriotic.

North south for me. Reason, they don't go anywhere. I've had snags move around a bit from what I can guess is the fat under the skin bubbling or something. If positioned N/S they sit in the ready made holders that are the grill plate, keeps them relatively straight, you get a good even cook even if there is only one burner is on (providing the BBQ is a standard 4 burner, 2 under the grill, 2 under the hotplate job), you can turn them all without having to stick your arm over the grill to get to the back ones (burnt hands are a BBQ right of passage I claimed long ago)........

Nup

North South is your go, tongs in one hand, beer in the other, singlet over your shoulders, footy shorts round your arse, thongs on your feet. Missus inside making the salad. End of story

I don't cook snags on the grill. I've found everytime I cook them on the grill the fat drips down and I end up with a massive fireball. I cook them on the hotplate and find they taste better as well. I don't tend to use a lot of heat either, even though I like my snags well cooked, I'd rather have them cook slower.

Gotta love a good quality snag on the barbie.

Cheers

Flippo said:
North south for me. Reason, they don't go anywhere.

Ditto.

HKS said:
I've found everytime I cook them on the grill the fat drips down and I end up with a massive fireball.

Cool, aint it? :D B)

Cheers,
Greg

I am an E-W guy, but I do find the fire ball a problem.

For an expert opinion, Scott Cam suggests in "Out the back":
Perfect Snags
Cooking sausages to perfection is pretty simple - put thme on low heat, and cook them slow and long. If you do it that way, the outside wont burn and the inside will cook through.

If you're on the grill and the flames are coming up, move the snags around until the oil stops burning.

If you're on the hotplate, roll the snags in flour. It gives them a bit of a crispy coating. They're sensational.

And you'd have to be born on Mars to not know to prick your snags witha fork as they're cooking. If you don't, they'll burst. Bog in!

This immediately preceeds the section on Home Bar and keg beer at home, what more do I need to say the man is a guru.

And now for something completely different, with apologies to Monty Python, I cook my sausages vertically on the Weber. :lol:

And you'd have to be born on Mars to not know to prick your snags witha fork as they're cooking. If you don't, they'll burst.

Only if you like dry, flavourless snags.

East west all the way, but I'm with the other lads - the grill does not do sausages justice. I don't trust that the heat spreads enough to cure the lips and arseholes before I eat them.

Tangent Woolies have made Aussie Burger patties in the shape of Australia - pretty rustic.

Yep,

Dont prick. Lets all the goodness (saturated animal fat) out and your snags are pretty much sawdust in a skin.

If your gonna do your snags on the grill, you've gotta be prepared to do some time on the tools, needs alot of turning and moving so you don't get a crispy black outside and red raw inside. If you have two burners under the grill, use one as first receiver and when it flares, move them over, and vice versa, lotta turning too for a nice even cook.

If I've got time I start them on the hotplate and finish them off on the grill for the last 5 mins or so, I find this gives them a good all round start and you finish them off with the slightest hint of flame for good flavour.

Not saying it's the best way but that's how I do it. Always pretty good

My personal choice is snags on the hot plate and chops, steaks and chicken on the grill.
If you are serious about cooking snags on the grill this clip is a must to view. :beer: . This is how a true Aussie BBQ should function and involves beer. LOL. :p

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgqWe1nySTM

Cheers

Ian

grills are for yanks ;)

Hot plate keeps the juices, for both steaks, and snags.

And only ever go for the snags with the real skins. Harder to find these days however.

Nothing like a cold, half burned sausage out of the fridge the morning after a barbie!

Where's the diagonal option for the striking streamlined grill lines?

Perhaps a final East West on the grill to tidy up the grease a bit :) .
A good relevant laugh :

BBQ ETIQUETTE

And so with the beginning of summer comes . . . The BBQ.

Griff was at the barbecue and Joel was at the barbecue and I was at the barbecue; three men standing around a barbecue, sipping beer, staring at sausages, rolling them backwards and forwards, never leaving them alone. We didn't know why we were at the barbecue, we were just drawn there like moths to a flame. The barbecue was a powerful gravitational force, a man-magnet.

Joel said the thin ones could use a turn, I said yeah I reckon the thin ones could use a turn, Griff said yeah they really need a turn-it was a unanimous turning decision. Griff was the Tong-master, a true artist, he gave a couple of practice snaps of his long silver tongs, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of his wrist, rolling them onto their little backs. A lesser tong-man would've flicked too hard; the sausages would've gone full circle, back to where they started. Nice, I said. The others went yeah.

Kevin was passing us, he heard the siren-song- sizzle of the snags, the barbecue was calling, beckoning, Kevinnnnn . . . come. He stuck his head in and said any room? We said yeah and began the barbecue shuffle; Griff shuffled to the left, Joel shuffled to the left, I shuffled to the left, Kevin slipped in beside me, we sipped our beer. Now there were four of us staring at sausages, and Griff gave me the nod, my cue. I was second-in command, and I had to take the raw sausages out of the plastic bag and lay them on the barbecue; not too close together, not too far apart, curl them into each other's bodies like lovers -far ones, thin ones, herbed and continental. The chipolatas were tiny; they could easily slip down between the grill, falling into the molten hot-bead netherworld below. Carefully I laid them sideways ACROSS the grill, clever thinking. Griff snapped his tongs with approval; there was no greater barbecue honour.

P.J. came along, he said looking good, looking good - the irresistible lure of the barbecue had pulled him in too. We said yeah and did the shuffle, left, left, left, left, he slipped in beside Kevin. We sipped our beer. Five men, lots of sausages. Joel was the Fork-pronger; he had the fork that pronged the tough hides of the Bavarian bratwursts and he showed lots of promise. Stabbing away eagerly, leaving perfect little vampire holes up and down the casing. P.J. was shaking his head, he said I reckon they cook better if you don't poke them. There was a long silence, you could have heard a chipolata drop; this new-comer was a rabble-rouser, bringing in his crazy ideas from outside. He didn't understand the hierarchy; first the Tong-master, then the Sausage-layer, then the Fork-pronger and everyone below was just a watcher. Maybe eventually they'll move up the ladder, but for now - don't rock the Weber.

Dianne popped her head in; hmmm, smells good, she said. She was trying to jostle into the circle; we closed ranks, pulling our heads down and our shoulders in, mumbling yeah yeah yeah, but making no room for her. She was keen, going round to the far side of the barbecue, heading for the only available space the gap in the circle where all the smoke and ashes blew. Nobody could survive the gap; Dianne was going to try. She stood there stubbornly, smoke blinding her eyes, ashes filling her nostrils, sausage fat spattering all over her arms and face. Until she couldn't take it any more, she gave up, backed off. Kevin waited till she was gone and sipped his beer. We sipped our beer; yeah.

Griff handed me his tongs. I looked at him and he nodded. I knew what was happening, I'd waited a long time for this moment -the abdication. The tongs weighed heavy in my hands, firm in my grip. Was I ready for the responsibility? Yes, I was. I held them up high and they glinted in the sun. Don't forget to turn the thin ones Griff said as he walked away from the barbecue, disappearing toward the house. Yeah I called back, I will, I will. I snapped them twice, SNAP SNAP, before moving in, prodding, teasing, and with an elegant flick of my wrist, rolling them back onto their little bellies. I was a natural, I was the TONG- MASTER.

Until Griff got back from the toilet...

Latest posts

Back