Aust Pale Ale + Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Afternoon folks, im holed up at home at the moment and with some of my new found spare time I found myself csually lookin in the ingrediants drawer.. just out of curiosity like... this is waht ive got laying about that I was thinking of whipping up a little sumthin sumthin..

250g Light Crystal malt
150g Carapils
250g wheat malt
250g DME
course grind (mo mill yet :( )
mash in 70'c (3Lt) then steep 30min
sparge (3lt)
boil
15g POR @ 50 min
10g Perle @ 15 min
sink/icewater to chill

1 can coopers Pale Ale
1 Kg BE1 (gotta be used sometime)..

10lt cold water in the freezer rest is tap water, should hit bout 20'c (hopefully)
pitch rehydrated and proofed US-05... (edit)...total ferment volume 26lt...

...prob dry hop something at halfway through ferment...

thoughts, hints?

as always, cheers
:icon_cheers:

I've never had POR and liked it so I would use different hops there, I also wouldn't be boiling them for 50 mins as the kit is already bittered. My general rule for adding hops to kits is only add them in for 20 mins, 30 in special cercumstances, otherwise it could end up too bitter. Honeslty I'd just do exactly what you have there minus the POR. Pearl sounds interesting as an aroma addition, 5-10 min boil maybe?

My 2c

Just go for it! If you want the extra bitterness use the POR, if not drop it.

I also wouldn't be boiling them for 50 mins as the kit is already bittered.

that is true, I was thinking that as im upping the volumes a little...23lt for the k&k addition + 3-4lt for the grain/hop addition giving a total 26-27lt.. that I might need to take bitterness into account.. and as Coops use POR for the bittering hop in the 'traditional' pale my thought was to keep it to style...a little.. and not to reduce the bitterness but play with it a little.. :ph34r:

so I guess my question is... would 12g be too much for the 4lt extra grain addition? :unsure:

so I guess my question is... would 12g be too much for the 4lt extra grain addition? :unsure:
[/quote]
I would say Yes too much POR is upward or over 10% AA and can pack a punch of flavour. I'd reckon you could halve that and still be on the high side.
Have you run this through any brewing programs ?
Daz

Have you run this through any brewing programs ?

not as yet no.. :unsure: ... and ive not done bittering boils yet either.. done some for flav, aroma, but I felt these may have been lacking some bitterness ballence overall.. with the extra Literage and all... and not that I find CPA overly bitter to begin with...

it was the POR I was stuck on.. I think (hope) the other additions should be OK.. just unsure of what the ratio for bittering with POR is I guess..

for my aroma (dry hop @ half ferment) I generally add 1g per Lt of the ferment vol... Ive used Chinook, Cascade and Perle thus far... I get some good variation on changing hop quantities and variation in that range.. and am happy with how thats devloping..

however.. as it goes.. when I want to get into the AG process (slowly slowly thus far) then bittering is something I need to get on top of...

so is it go 1g per litre and adjust to taste?

cheers folks
:icon_cheers:

Even for kits and bits or full extract bittering is something to get your head around. I recommend you use the kit/extract spreadsheet by ianh on this site and run your recipe through it to get some ideas about bitterness. There's a bit more to it than g/L such as AA% of you hops, gravity of your boil etc. I just popped your recipe through it and for 23L batch it came up about 35.7 IBU which sounds ok for me but may be bitter for someone else. Personally I wouldn't dilute up to 26L as I don't think you've got that much malt.

My thought/hint is less considered than the previous ones: just give it a go...

If you own some POR I am assuming that you have previously used and enjoyed POR (otherwise it would be in the bin/compost/lawn/whatever), so use it again.

Go your hardest! You don't have the lead cenobite as your avatar pic and then nancy about with hop additions...angels to some, demons to others and all that.

With a decent yeast (which you've got) and a cool ferment it ought to be well-drinkable after a few months in the bottle ( or weeks in the keg if you are that way inclined). :beer:

edit: although I agree, don't use the POR for extra bittering, just use them as a late flavour/aroma addition. If they are fresh they are fine!

not as yet no.. ... and ive not done bittering boils yet either.. done some for flav, aroma, but I felt these may have been lacking some bitterness ballence overall.. with the extra Literage and all... and not that I find CPA overly bitter to begin with...

it was the POR I was stuck on.. I think (hope) the other additions should be OK.. just unsure of what the ratio for bittering with POR is I guess..

for my aroma (dry hop @ half ferment) I generally add 1g per Lt of the ferment vol... Ive used Chinook, Cascade and Perle thus far... I get some good variation on changing hop quantities and variation in that range.. and am happy with how thats devloping..

however.. as it goes.. when I want to get into the AG process (slowly slowly thus far) then bittering is something I need to get on top of...

so is it go 1g per litre and adjust to taste?

cheers folks

Don't be afraid of PoR.

Best to make sure it's fresh and use it in appropriate amounts in the appropriate beer but I would say that's no different to any other hop. Make sure you feel it and perle are a good match.

1g per litre is mainly a rule of thumb for dry hopping I believe.

IBU (international bittering units) for most beers will depend on three things: style (if you're brewing roughly in style), personal taste (which you can work out by which commercial beers you like and their IBU level) and balance with gravity and sweetness.

There is flex in all of this - a high alc scottish wee heavy will have way less bittering than a high alc AIPA and so on and both may be to your taste and in balance.

If you like coopers, find out what the IBU is (probably 30 IBU for the plae but don't quote me). When you develop recipes, adjust IBU to hit around that level with same or similar ABV and you'll be in the ballpark. Be aware that you're taste for bitterness may increase over time, beer dependent.

Little article about balancing gravity units with bitterness units: http://beercolor.netfirms.com/balance.html but don't get too bogged down in numbers. You've got to get a feel for these things by trying, tasting and being critically aware of youur own perceptions, preferences, tendencies and faults. Each beer is a little bit about what you would change with the next one.

Back