Aussie Craft Beers From Dan's, Which Ones Do You Like?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I prefer to grab UK beers when i hit dan murphy's, but with so many different aussie craft beers on the shelf, which ones do you all like? The other night i looked at a few ( red oak pale, but with all the talk about their beers i wasn't going to risk it ), but im hesitant as some of them just look a little, meh.

So, which ones do you like?

I prefer to grab UK beers when i hit dan murphy's, but with so many different aussie craft beers on the shelf, which ones do you all like? The other night i looked at a few ( red oak pale, but with all the talk about their beers i wasn't going to risk it ), but im hesitant as some of them just look a little, meh.

So, which ones do you like?

I bought a few 4 pines to have a go as i heard they were nice but my dan's doesn't have a huge range but they always have lots of stock. Also like the JS and a few German ones i cant remember let alone spell :D

EDIT: totally missed the aussie part, my bad

I saw the 4 pines too, and when i saw they had a koelsch i was tempted. Though i just read here ( worst beer thread? ) that it wasn't too great. What did you think?

No worries!

I thought it was OK, certainly not a 'worst'.
Does Dan's have the Moo Brews? I've really enjoyed their Hefeweizen and Pale Ale (only two I've tried so far)

*Just looking through their website and it looks like much better value and selection in the 'International Premium' range, much of the 'Craft' beer is bullshit James Squire etc. and some of them are as expensive as the 'International Premium'. Take a German/Belgian tour. But agree with below, the White Rabbit's are worth trying.

Little Creatures - only because I can get by the pint.

As for buying .330ml of expensive 'play it safe' pale ale / larger stuffed full of saaz, I couldn't be bothered any more.
Where's the Floreffe's, wheres the Triples or big stouts? Where's the ESB's or Dunkels?
If we had a bigger selection of local beers, I'd buy em, I just find the foreigners more interesting.

Gage Roads Sleeping Giant IPA.
906911_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569833780419.jpg

All up an enjoyable beer, relative to mega swill.

However, not really what i would think an IPA should be. It wasn't really all that hoppy but I suppose it is quite balanced since it is quite malty. Good bitterness levels (not to high), a small amount of hop flavour, low to none in the aroma. Nice amber/brown maltiness that is not too sweet.
I have had a good home brewed IPA and my burps tasted like yummy hops, no such burps with this beer.

Having said that, I happily necked 4 of them in a sitting.

Dan's et al. rarely have the good locals in carton form, so I'm always happy to buy a carton of Fat Yak when its at a good price, as I know it is a consistent good beer when I don't feel like carting HB around to venues. Stone & Wood Pacific Ale is a six pack favourite and a four pack of any Wicked Elf is often bought (though with a Moruya girl one of the partners, I may be a touch biased). Their dubbel is a favourite (when it is available).

James Squire porter and IPA are good when nothing better exists.

In bottle form from Unka Dan's: I think there is some concensus that it is too thin and is over carbinated. I won't be buying it again.

I can't see where you can find any consensus that the beer is too thin and over carbonated from the thread. I see some some adverse opinions, but not enough to conclude consensus. Not important, though.

That said, I haven't had S&WPA for a few months, nor had it on tap, but will remain a fan until otherwise swayed by my own (next) tastings. Love that Galaxy passionfruity flavour.

Better than the crap I've been brewing lately! :icon_cheers:

View attachment 46410

All up an enjoyable beer, relative to mega swill.

However, not really what i would think an IPA should be. It wasn't really all that hoppy but I suppose it is quite balanced since it is quite malty. Good bitterness levels (not to high), a small amount of hop flavour, low to none in the aroma. Nice amber/brown maltiness that is not too sweet.
I have had a good home brewed IPA and my burps tasted like yummy hops, no such burps with this beer.

+1 plesantly suprised with the above beer easy to drink. Currently giving Dan's a wide berth these days, sick of their stale and poorly handled imports no longer wish to waste my money with them.

My standout Aussie's have been; (most mentioned above I see)

Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
Little Creatures Pale Ale
White Rabbit Dark Ale
James Squire Golden Ale

Vale Ale is pretty good too

(1) I can't see where you can find any consensus that the beer is too thin and over carbonated from the thread.
(2) I see some some adverse opinions, but not enough to conclude consensus. Not important, though.

(1) a Maybe you missed the oxymoron : "some consencus". 'Some' being the operative...

(1) b But since you ask (and I am procrastinating yet again);

You might be able to say, of members who posted, only 40% of them did not find some fault with it.

In 16 posts from 10 users:

Head retention problems = 1 user
Overcarbed = 2 members
Too thin or not enough body = 2 members
Low IBU or not bitter enough = 3 members
Better from the keg than bottle = 4 users
No fault identied = 4 members (excluding one member who did not offer an opinion either way and those who said keg is better than bottle included as potential fault with bottle version).

(2)Yes at the end of the day, this is completely correct, 20% is not concensus. Refer to caveat (1) a.

Edit:bejayzus! Samuel Adams throws me bloody numbers out!

View attachment 46410

It's a UK style IPA (read: more traditional), not a US hopped-to-buggery-catpiss-paint-thinner IPA - and it's certainly my pick at Dans'.

(1) a Maybe you missed the oxymoron : "some consencus". 'Some' being the operative...

(1) b But since you ask (and I am procrastinating yet again);

You might be able to say, of members who posted, only 40% of them did not find some fault with it.

In 16 posts from 10 users:

Head retention problems = 1 user
Overcarbed = 2 members
Too thin or not enough body = 2 members
Low IBU or not bitter enough = 3 members
Better from the keg than bottle = 4 users
No fault identied = 4 members (excluding one member who did not offer an opinion either way and those who said keg is better than bottle included as potential fault with bottle version).

(2)Yes at the end of the day, this is completely correct, 20% is not concensus. Refer to caveat (1) a.

Edit:bejayzus! Samuel Adams throws me bloody numbers out!

:icon_offtopic: I didn't miss your oxymoron, I don't believe you used one. There is some agreement with a small sample of the thread makers that drinking S&WPA was not as rewarding experience as they might have wanted. I too would have been disappointed if I too had of received a beer that did not reach my expectations, whether perceived or anticipated. But no consensus in any way or form. By definition you can't have "some" consensus.

Whatever, I respect your rights to dislike a beer and to comment on it!

:icon_chickcheers:

4 beers? A sitting?

Fatz wouldn't even bother sitting down for four beers; wouldn't even wet his throat... :p

Back