"aussie" Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about XXXX but the Carlton Yeasts apparently came from Denmark (Carlsberg) early on in the piece. TidalPete has made a superb Aussie lager using Wyeast 2042. I've also had success with dried yeast S-189 as it ferments warmish. I think I recall Thirsty Boy, who works at CUB, saying that they start fermenting cold then let it gradually rise to the late teens before sending to the lagering tanks for 10 days.

FYI. When I did the tour of the xxxx brewery a few years ago, the guide mentioned that the original brewer was Danish and that he used a yeast from Denmark which is still used to this day.

Hi gents well a "pom" wanting some help and i dont mean with the cricket or the rugby :rolleyes: , but with some ne recipes ones i havnt tried and from down under.
I have been brewing 20 yrs and now do 10 gallon batches one to condition and one 5 gallon that shall we say never gets the chance :beerbang:
so if you have some ideas and maybe i have some you lads & of course lasses havnt tried

"Cheers" :icon_chickcheers:

I use kits here in dear old OZ Coopers, Cascade, Tooheys and Supermarket brands. Mostly Aussie beer is a light Larger/ Draught style. I like the darker varieties but most Aussies prefer the lighter ones. I have found that a Tooheys special draught or a Coopers Pale ale is comparable with what comes out of the pumps. The kits use yeasts that are tollerent of the heat we get and brew in.

My method is I ferment 1 week secondary 2 weeks bottle and condition for 3 weeks min. I use a kilo of Dextrose instead of Cane sugar in the ferment. When bottling I add a measured amount of cane sugar not bulk prime. Always have. The sugar seems to give better carbination. I have started to add the strained water of 50grms of steeped grains in a small quantity of boiled water and a cup of powdered corn syrup to add body for head retention.

One supermarket brand "Coles" Draught comes out like VB

Been thinking about what an Aussie beer is/should be and the best style.

Other than POR what other hops are uniquely Aussie? That is only grown here?

I'm thinking my take on aussie beer (not what we currently brew but what we should brew) is:

Saison yeast - ferments at high temps well (lagers don't make sense in our climate)
Pale in colour
medium bitterness 30 IBU
4-5% Abv
Easy drinking and goes OK served cold, that is still has good flavour
Unique aussie hop like POR or other unique varieties.

Bit OT but what do you think?

Been thinking about what an Aussie beer is/should be and the best style.

Other than POR what other hops are uniquely Aussie? That is only grown here?

I'm thinking my take on aussie beer (not what we currently brew but what we should brew) is:

Saison yeast - ferments at high temps well (lagers don't make sense in our climate)
Pale in colour
medium bitterness 30 IBU
4-5% Abv
Easy drinking and goes OK served cold, that is still has good flavour
Unique aussie hop like POR or other unique varieties.

Bit OT but what do you think?

Seems Galaxy and Cluster hops are two others I found on the interweb.

Back