Aussie Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 5% increase for FWH'ing in Promash

Hers is how i set my hop utils

cheers
Tony, I don't use promash so can i ask - utilisation is 5% greater compared to what? A sixty minute boil? A 20minute boil? I have seen quite a bit of conflicting opinion on the effect of FWH. I used it on my last brew (an english bitter), the recipe called for a 20 min addition of EKG and I threw it in as FWH instead. The beer has only been bottled for 2 weeks, I've tried oone and it had a lovely hop flavour without excessive bitterness, so FWH seems to work OK but I'm not sure of impact to IBU.

hazard

Tony, I don't use promash so can i ask - utilisation is 5% greater compared to what? A sixty minute boil? A 20minute boil? I have seen quite a bit of conflicting opinion on the effect of FWH. I used it on my last brew (an english bitter), the recipe called for a 20 min addition of EKG and I threw it in as FWH instead. The beer has only been bottled for 2 weeks, I've tried oone and it had a lovely hop flavour without excessive bitterness, so FWH seems to work OK but I'm not sure of impact to IBU.

hazard

Same question here as well. My last two AG's I used the FWH method. The only reason I used that method was to avoid exceesive foaming that I sometimes get with the first hop addition. So far it has worked well.
The old discussion of maximum bitterness extraction after 60mins, is that still valid :huh:

BYB

Thanks Tony

Aussie Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.90 Wort Size (L): 40.90
Total Grain (kg): 8.25
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.93
Anticipated SRM: 4.9
Anticipated IBU: 30.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
95.2 7.85 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
4.8 0.40 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
14.85 g. Pride of Ringwood Whole 10.00 9.9 First WH
30.69 g. Pride of Ringwood Whole 10.00 17.9 45 min.
19.80 g. Pride of Ringwood Whole 10.00 2.5 5 min.

20gm of POR @ 5 min. :eek:

That's a mistake for an Aussie but I suppose you will have to find out yourself.

Batz

I know this is slightly off topic, but I wanted to get opinions on using frozen wet POR flowers in an Aussie ale. I would like to showcase the hop aromatics well, but it goes against the style. I have even been toying with a blasphemous Aussie IPA with 100% ale malt and loads of late POR... :ph34r:

Made a Dark Ale with lots of POR in it years ago and it was probably the best hop burst I have ever had. Remember, POR's has a UK parentage (EKG's?) and I reckon hard done by Aussie home brewers.

Scotty

That's a mistake for an Aussie but I suppose you will have to find out yourself.

Batz

its no mistake. The Aussie I did would have had close to double that and it was supurb...same grain bill.

Slightly off topic but I'm drinking my way through a Hunter Old but take out the Choc, Carafa 3 and Carared and you'd have a pale ale. It has 30g POR 60 mins and you would never believe that there are no flavour or aroma hops. Clever little hop the POR and I would personally not do any late additions.

I recently did a Cerveza with only 20g Chinook for 90 mins and the first sneaky samples are as hoppy as. In fact it may even be over hopped for the style. I'm really impressed with single hop addition plus long boil.

And definitely go the cane sugar. I invert mine with some citric acid just for good luck I suppose :lol:

Oh and try US-05 for a really clean finish.

Oh and try US-05 for a really clean finish.

CL270 is my favourite for Aussie Ales but it is as rare as Hen__s_Teeth.jpg

I am a big fan of Super Pride in Aussie ales.

TP

So to do the FWH thing with BIAB I would put the hops in after pulling the bag yes??

Brewing an Aussie Brown Dog Ale tomorrow. Based on a hoppy American brown ale but with the WLP009 yeast with POR and Galaxy hops. This is the beginning of some "experimental" Aussie ales I plan to try. Will follow this up with an Aussie IPA.

So to do the FWH thing with BIAB I would put the hops in after pulling the bag yes??

That's what I would do. Please refresh me on FWH, I thought it had been somewhat discredited like the Atkins Diet :lol: and other things that sounded like a good idea at the time.

Batz

Hi Batz

Is that because it isnt to style or because POR make crappy finishing hops.
Like many brewers i have always avoided POR and am interested in your thoughts
Cheers
3G

Hi Batz

Is that because it isnt to style or because POR make crappy finishing hops.
Like many brewers i have always avoided POR and am interested in your thoughts
Cheers
3G

Cant speak for Batz, but I reckon he'll agree, POR make crappy finishing hops.

Edit: As a finishing hop, they are so earthy, they taste like dirt to me.

Well 3G it's more my experience with my Aussie Ales, I've been brewing them for around 5-6 years and have tried most POR combinations.
Now as we all know it comes down to personal tastes and I usually steer clear of offering my input into such debates,but this time I couldn't help myself ;) .
Have a go at it both ways I'm sure you'll brew more that one Aussie,and we all tweak our recipes don't we. However you go it'll be a very drinkable beer, POR is a fine hop regardless of some brewers opinions.

Good luck with the brew and we can always exchange a bottle or two for comparison hey ?

Batz

That's what I would do. Please refresh me on FWH, I thought it had been somewhat discredited like the Atkins Diet :lol: and other things that sounded like a good idea at the time.

Well its done and I put in 10g of POR as I lifted the bag off the bottom of the pot to raise the temp for mashout.
Went with:

5kg JW Trad ale
0.4kg JW Wheat
10g POR FWH
17g POR 45min
10g POR 5 min
US-05 (when pitched)

It went into the cube a very light colour and cyrstal clear
I'll let you know on the FWH thing Bribie in a few weeks when I try it. In the meantime type FWH into the google search thingy up top and look at the first link. It seems many here do FWH regularly

Sure will be a cheap brew. I have worked out the ingredients to $22 for 23L
If its good it will become a regular here

Well 3G it's more my experience with my Aussie Ales, I've been brewing them for around 5-6 years and have tried most POR combinations.
Batz

This is what newbs should look for in replies to posts. Look for experience not opinion. Have this to say "from experience" a beer I made using POR for bittering and late Fuggle was "Obnoxious". POR like other hop varieties has desirable qualities, but used in conjunction with certain other varieties can be disasterous.

Cheers,

Screwy

Sounds very noice, again I would probably cut out the late addition of POR, personally, but see how it turns out. :icon_cheers:

Or, here's a thought if you like the late addition, if you are doing it again maybe try some Cluster for late addition a-la-XXXX

Sounds very noice, again I would probably cut out the late addition of POR, personally, but see how it turns out. :icon_cheers:

Or, here's a thought if you like the late addition, if you are doing it again maybe try some Cluster for late addition a-la-XXXX

POR looks to me best used either fresh or at least as a dried flower rather than a pellet. Like a lot of comment here, as a pellet it does not appear to have any late addition qualities. Only Tony stands here, alone but brave, but he is using flower in his recipe. Therefore he is arguing from a different prospectivethan the rest.

Never malign what you don't know, but trouble is we brew with different ingredients than the commercials. POR has been the nation's favourite for decades (even if through necessity rather than choice). But I'll play the devil's advocate, ignore POR pellets unless you are experienced enough to play with them. If you can find POR flowers, go for it.

There are many good alternatives now (Cluster as mentioned above looks and sounds intriguing) .. the Aussie purest in me says "Go POR" - the brewer in me says " tread carefully lest you know where you tread"

Correct me if I'm wrong (flame suit on) but the humble POR gets a bad wrap as it was one of the only hops that was reliably available for a long time to some of our old buggers more experienced brewers. I went to boarding school where every morning you had toast, porridge or spag out of a can. Guess what 22yrs on I don't have toast, porridge or canned spagetti EVER!

it POR is a very common cheap hop, tonnes of it here in Vic, rhizomes are readily available, most importantly spent with care it makes a great beer, my experience is not using it after 40 minutes, as someone else said i also have found it a great first wort hop with a very dry low attentuation(the final beer that is, nothing to do with the hops) Woud i pay $20 kg and make a couple of styles of pay $50 for a kg of EKG sand make 20 styles.

Latest posts

Back