attenuation temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louistoo

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an ESB pale ale fermenting with safale S04. I pitched ať 23c, then the weather Got hot for Hobart and it was 22c in fermenter for 24 hours. The packet states 20c as its upper ideal temp, so I followed advise read in AHB and put fermenter in chilled water. Temp has been 16 to 18c now for 4 days and fermentation seems to have slowed considerably today 6 days after pitching. Should I put the heat belt on and slowly raise temp back up to 20c to attenuate the remaining sugars or stay ať 18c ? yeast is an english ale yeast so maybe stay with 18c?
bubbling every ten seconds. Surely this doesn't qualify as stalled?

Wouldn't hurt to bump the temp up a little towards the end of ferment. S04 is known to stall from time to time so you may need to rouse it.

When you say rouse it, what do you mean? Do you think I should have got temp lower when pitching? was a mission requiring more bags of ice from bottlo after using my homemade immersion chiller to get down to 28c. Was hard to lower temp further...it's bubbling every ten seconds so isn't stalled?

Not saying it is stalled but the bubbling could just be the residual co2 coming out of solution rather than fermentation, give it a rouse as in a gentle swirl of the fermentor to rouse the yeast back into suspension, also would be good to have some ice on hand next brew to get the temp down, the yeast would have been very happy at those high temps but will throw out some off flavour

Can't say I'm a big user of S-04 however there's every chance its finished fermenting. Check your gravity and if its around your FG mark (1.010-12ish?) then just let it rest at 18 for however long you like to condition, otherwise bump the temp up to finish it off.

I had some ice on hand for this brew, luckily as needed it to shed a few degrees to get to the temp I pitched ať (24c) so I s'pose building immersion chiller hasn't done away with buying ice, mores the pity! I'll go and take a sg and see what's really going on.

Back