Attempting The 1000 Ibu Benchmark

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But that's how I make my Hop Burst IPA anyway... I want to try something different.

You want to try something different
Send me 4 kg of hops
And ill send you a beer to tip down the sink

EDIT: Also Gravey, what is that black chunk in the beer? Haha. It looks like he's just given you a glass full of trub.

pretty sure its just some writing on the outside of the glass.

I think Kieren pretty much used lots of late editions...not sure on exact quantities. PM him if you like, I'm sure he'll give you more details.

I saw a blog post that said the Mikkeller 1000 IBU contains 6.5 kilogram of alpha-acid extract and 10 kilograms of simcoe-pellets per 1000 liters of beer. Maybe a good place to start.

Just wack some denatonium benzoate in there, all is done

QldKev

And dry hop with 1kg of Szechuan Pepper to get that "there are bugs crawling under my tongue" aroma.

Ignore the haters and the traditionalists mate, and just do it.
I've never understood how certain people feel the need to knock other people's ideas under the guise of 'friendly advice.'

I've never understood how certain people feel the need to knock other people's ideas under the guise of 'friendly advice.'

Make Clutch drink 3 pints of it.

From what I have read, I agree that you'll tap out at 100IBU. You should take MHB's offer up of running tests, for the benefit of the whole board. It will only cost you postage.

Postage ..... plus the $50 bet !

If you read the thread properly, you'll see very few people have actually done that.

You want to try something different
Send me 4 kg of hops
And ill send you a beer to tip down the sink
Haha lol :)

To the OP: go for it, and let us know how it turns out. I'm interested in you taking up MHB's offer too.

I get hop resin precipitation on the inside of my bottles when I brew high IBU beers. It occurs more quickly in winter than in summer. My beers have low alcohol percentage as well.
Manticle suggests there are other contributors to bitterness than AA. I reckon Golding is as bitter as hell particularly when using wet hops. Goldings is high in humulene which is apparently related to AA which may be the reason.

The term 'haters' gets used a lot now. I assume some people either have a more aggressive internal monologue when reading than I do or they wish to promote a more emotive response than a rational one :ph34r: :p
Please, lets not try and create an 'emperors new clothes' like approach to posting that discourages contrary opinion and assumes that only those opinions which are in accordance to original designs are in fact 'friendly advice'.

I'm a hater of 1000 IBU beers. They are like making a cup of coffee with a cup of coffee beans.

Complete shit.

like drinking espresso? or ristretto? if it's made properly, it's fantastic. All the same, I think Mikkeller 1000IBU was amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on another bottle.

You will need a shitload of hops though. My most recent attempt was 500g of centennial at 10min and it didn't come anywhere near it in bitterness or hop flavour or aroma. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Not me pal.

I just sort of stood beside him whilst giving a gentle elbow to the ribs, nodded my head to the side and winked a little.

I just sort of stood beside him whilst giving a gentle elbow to the ribs, nodded my head to the side and winked a little.

I think we bumped into each other one night when I was walking home down Oxford St from the Taphouse.

There is a limit to the solubility of Iso Alpha Acid, its about 100 IBU (depending on how its measured) really its just a whisker over 90mg/L

I think Mark is getting solubility mixed up with the human threshold. It is true that we can't taste much over 90 BU but it is possible (albeit difficult without extract) to achieve higher (real) numbers.

I've brewed beer (confirmed via iso-octane extraction and mass spectrophotometer) as bitter as 185 BU (using 300 grams of hop pellets in 20L at SG 1.100) and it tasted great. My 1000 IBU clone however was a measly 67 BU and tasted terrible. There is more to it than theoretical (or actual) BU's...

Back