Attempting The 1000 Ibu Benchmark

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasted the Mikkeller 1000IBU beer in WA at the Sail & Anchor and the thing tasted like I had been hit in the face :lol:

It's obviously achievable but you would have to see if you can research their recipe and method.

Go for it!

Sounds like you need to do this, and I'm waiting for your results...............if you live though it. :lol: :lol:

imagesCATE9QDE.jpg

batz

Mikkeller 1000IBU was brilliant. I shared one with Warmbeer and regret not having more. Huge puckerability factor for a couple hours after.

Just one thing.....order the hops from the US...Niko or Yakima.....save you a fortune on the hops

A thread I stumbled across a week ago was from one of the site's operator's who brewed a beer with 2.5kg of hops and a theoretical IBU of 500IBU. It was stated there also that 100IBU is the reality. Have a dig around for it, it was by the member "Doc".

From what I have read, I agree that you'll tap out at 100IBU. You should take MHB's offer up of running tests, for the benefit of the whole board. It will only cost you postage.

That Mikkeller 1000ibu beer gave me stomach cramps. and for all the hooplah, didn't seem any more bitter than the 200ibu or 100ibu beers that I have made.

Truth be told Id rather have a 50ibu beer with a shit ton of late hops. eg sort of like Murrays Sparticus. Which more or less tasted hoppier than the Mikeller

YMMV

Mikkeller 1000IBU was brilliant. I shared one with Warmbeer and regret not having more. Huge puckerability factor for a couple hours after.

Just one thing.....order the hops from the US...Niko or Yakima.....save you a fortune on the hops

Finally, someone that understands why this has to happen!

I think oils and a very long boil time will be the go.

Thanks for the tips on Niko and Yakima, I've been trying to find a good retailer for a while.

A thread I stumbled across a week ago was from one of the site's operator's who brewed a beer with 2.5kg of hops and a theoretical IBU of 500IBU. It was stated there also that 100IBU is the reality. Have a dig around for it, it was by the member "Doc".

From what I have read, I agree that you'll tap out at 100IBU. You should take MHB's offer up of running tests, for the benefit of the whole board. It will only cost you postage.

I'll certainly post some off to him when it's done.

Thanks for the tips on Niko and Yakima, I've been trying to find a good retailer for a while.

Hops direct are another company who do real cheap hops if needed.

Plenty of options depending upon your needs, sir.

Kieren brewed something along these lines for our last case swap, here's a pic:

74755_10150788857345867_669294478_n.jpg

looks fantastic doesnt it? :icon_vomit:

It was a challenge to get through and I only had 1/2 a pint. It was certainly an interesting experiment and I'm glad he brewed it and I got to try it.....it taught me that I'd never be interested in brewing such a beer.

As others have suggested, it certainly didnt taste anywhere near 25x the bitterness of a 40IBU beer, but there were other 'interesting' flavours, though my memory is a little hazy from that night. Very oily as well and obviously very thick

@unco_tomato, how's you normal beers, drinkable?.
The one you are thinking about won't be.
Whats the point?

How to simulate a 1000 IBU beer:

1) Buy/brew a nice, strong IIPA, or similar
2) Put 1/4 cup of said beer in a glass
3) Add 1/4 cup of high %AA hop pellets
4) Mix ingredients well
5) Drink, and attempt to keep contents in your mouth as long as possible :D

I've had the Mikkeller 1000 IBU beer, and while it was (very) bitter, it was nowhere near 20x as bitter as a nominal 50 IBU IPA.

If you've got plenty of money to waste on an excessive hop bill, and a mindset that just says "yeah, f^%k it, why not?", then go for it.

For the sake of 5 hours brew time, plus tying up a fermenter for 2+ weeks, I'd brew a "low hopped" IIPA to around the 80 IBU mark. It's still going to be more bitter than my ex's opinion of me.

Haha, thanks for the encouraging words guys :)

I'm not doing it in an attempt to create a new beer style, I'm doing it to see how different it is to anything else I've made. (and yes WarmBeer, I've live hopped before, and even put hop cones (never pellets) directly into my glass).

I don't veiw tying up a fermenter for two weeks as a real problem, I've got 4 fermenters at the moment, so it's no huge trouble. The wasted hops is the only real reason not to do it, but I'll work around with the recipe a little and probably ditch a lot of my late additions as they will be dominated by the early regardless.

Anyway, I've never used oils either, so it will be a fun experiment.

EDIT: Also Gravey, what is that black chunk in the beer? Haha. It looks like he's just given you a glass full of trub.

Im thinking you have rather missed the point as you cant get over 100IBU the early additions are the ones that are mostly wasted.
Make your additions late and you will get the most Hop Characters other than bitterness, I strongly suspect that with something like 400g of hops at 10 minutes you will get all the bitterness you are going to get automatically.
You might need a wine press to separate the hops from the beer, but lots of late additions will be very in ya face.
Mark

Not trying to be a grump, just sick of the neck deep bullshit being talked about IBUs and a really big fan of reality based thinking.
Mark

Thanks Mark now I have to clean the coffee off my keyboard. This has just become my signature.

Im thinking you have rather missed the point as you cant get over 100IBU the early additions are the ones that are mostly wasted.
Make your additions late and you will get the most Hop Characters other than bitterness, I strongly suspect that with something like 400g of hops at 10 minutes you will get all the bitterness you are going to get automatically.
You might need a wine press to separate the hops from the beer, but lots of late additions will be very in ya face.
Mark

But that's how I make my Hop Burst IPA anyway... I want to try something different.

But that's how I make my Hop Burst IPA anyway... I want to try something different.

And trying something different is what makes better brewers...I say go for it!! Not everyone's cup of beer (?) but its the same reason why people customise cars, not everyone is going to like an over the top airbrushes, neons ect you put on your excel but if you like it and want to try it then go for gold :lol:

Grab yourself some of this and get busy if you want bitterness that will pucker your face inside out.
Than some saaz for flavour would be my choice..

HPH047_Xl.jpg

And trying something different is what makes better brewers...I say go for it!! Not everyone's cup of beer (?) but its the same reason why people customise cars, not everyone is going to like an over the top airbrushes, neons ect you put on your excel but if you like it and want to try it then go for gold :lol:

I don't like spoilers

And trying something different is what makes better brewers...I say go for it!!

Yes, go for it. Don't worry about those knocking you. Your beers, your brewery, your terms !

Just don't claim you'll be doing a 1000 IBU beer :lol:

Latest posts

Back