Atherton, QLD water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indica86

Reaction score
Alkalinity

Ammonia

<0.02

Bi-Carbonate Alkalinity

Calcium (Ca++)

Carbonate Alkalinity

<0.1

Colour - Apparent

<1

Electrical Conductance

Hardness - Total

Langelier Index(pH - pHs)

Magnesium (Mg++)

Nitrate

Nitrite

<0.01

Ortho Phosphate

pH

pH @ 25 deg C

Potassium (K+)

After quite a few emails and a resounding no, we cannot help you, I have eventually been given this.
Another step towards better beer.

BTW, can someone please help me with making this help me?

Water chemistry is a big topic, and you will get several opinions on it. Have a search for "water chemistry" on here there is a lot of info.
Also have a look on my website, under homebrewing and water chemistry, I have some notes that I refer to.
Finally get a copy of EZ Water calc and setup the recipe there.

How did you go with the water chem? Ready for the exam?

I was painting the bike shed today.
My water report did not include Sodium or Chloride... missing some key components?

Yep, you definitely need them, it's also missing Sulfate. I would try a couple more phone calls to get an idea of the numbers.

I'm afraid that is the best I will get.

edit, just emailed with the request for more information.

ok, they are very low, which is a great starting place.

Are you all grain or kits? Let us know how you brew, what you are brewing and we can see whats good from there

Have recently gone all grain.
I like hoppy pales, American and India. Also refreshing Aussie-ish pales.

Thanks for the help BTW - I will have to do some reading when I return to work from annual leave - more spare time there than here.

After having lived in Cairns for 24 years I suggest you will find the water on the Tablelands to be as soft as the proverbial..... "babies bum".

You will be supplied from Tinnaroo . In Cairns we were from Copperlode/Barron weir/Behana... all wonderful fresh water sources with neutral pH and low hardness.

I suggest you start with zero (ish) readings and add from there.

G.

Cheers Growler and indeed it is Tinaroo water.
I have recent reading (see above) BUT no idea what to do with them.
The EZ water thing doesn't appear to work very well in Libre Office.

Growler, do you have the water profile for Cairns by any chance? I have been looking around for it but with no luck.
Cheers

Sorry, no mate.

I'm now in Hervey Bay for last 18 mths.

try indica86 for info as Tinarroo will have a similar profile

Cheers. G

edited

Tinaroo won't be similar. Different dams are used.
Email Cairns City Council.

Hey Indica. There are a few brewers on the Tablelands that have been meeting for years. Give me a PM if you want to be involved.

Most Atherton water will come from the Barron River near the Crater or from the aquifer. Same story, it is low in everything and a good base to add to.

Matt

Back