Asked Coopers If Euro Lager Used S-189 And Got This..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer&Kebab

Reaction score
"Sorry mate, I could but then Id have to kill you. It is a true lager strain though.

Cheers, Frank."

Why would they not tell us ?

Do you think there is some confidentiality clause with Fermentis ?
Or is it just "intellectual property"

Or maybe it is just the ale 514 equivilent - 497..

No confidentiality arrangement, no intellectual property concerns. He just doesn't know. I don't claim to know and I won't be a wanker who makes out that I do know and then can't tell you because of another reason. Coopers claim that it is a lager yeast and I've seen a couple references to 189 on brewing forums, including a lengthy topic on this forum that covered this kit in general.

I would have though they have an interest in protecting the identity to their yeasts to some degree.

I have spoken to Frank before regarding kits and he has always been helpful and usually tries to crack a joke or two. I doubt he would not reveal a yeast unless he had been told not too ;)

That's not very nice is it?
But I think it must be an IP thing. If you asked him what the malt bill was for the kit you wouldn't expect him to answer that would you?
But if I were a kit manufacturer and needed a lager yeast that every silly could get a good result with I'd go for the safale swiss lager one .. s-189 ..

why did you ask as a matter of interest?

"Sorry mate, I could but then I'd have to kill you.

Just "telling it like it is".

I think it's an acceptable way of saying "Piss off asshole!"

I know if you "don't ask, you don't get", but a question like that is offensive in that the offensive "piss off asshole" answer required to shut you-up would cause concern to both parties!

Sometimes, it's better not to ask.

Also people with ADD, ADHD will still ask questions about "how to make easy money from the majority" and you just don't want to tell them about something SO SIMPLE TO DO!

You really need to "get in bed" with this guy, "give-up" or "just do it yourself" and find out!

Yes it was Mr Akers that responded.

I asked so I could more truly know how the yeast will respond at different temps etc
rather than sucking it a seeing.Generally kit instructions are inadequate regarding how to treat yeast (21-28 degrees)..

I didn't really think the question was offensive. If it was then I am sorry. I could be wrong but I didn't think Coopers would have created the yeast strain used. Merely applied an existing yeast to their kits.

B&K, I can't see why your question was offensive. And I definitely can't see why you should have to get into bed with the guy just to get an answer to a simple question. You could always let Coopers know that this retailer's attitude has pushed you towards brewing with extract from another company and purchasing a readily identifiable yeast.

I didn't really think the question was offensive. If it was then I am sorry. I could be wrong but I didn't think Coopers would have created the yeast strain used. Merely applied an existing yeast to their kits.

B&K, I didn't mean it would have been offensive. The reply was just another "drunken rant" by myself after relating dealing with people on eBay asking questions about something I sell there and I'm the only one one doing it with something rare. A few people ask questions about where I get the crucial components and what is their name and I think it's about competition.

My point is, some people do the hard yards and it's so easy for the oposition to steal your idea and make more money than you when they become "predatory" in your market place!

Back