Asahi buys Mountain Goat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder how much they sold it for? Didn't they get an offer a few years ago for a rumored $19m?

BrutusB said:
Wonder how much they sold it for? Didn't they get an offer a few years ago for a rumored $19m?
At a stab, I am thinking they would have to be paying in the $50's for The Goat?

Good luck to Cam n Dave if it did go for that high!!!

Whilst I think it sucks, there is no way i can even begin to try and put myself in the shoes of someone with millions of dollars on offer, I can't blame someone for setting themselves up for life I'd probably do the same.

You can't begrudge them for taking a stack of money.

But they're sticking around at/with the brand? I assume that must be a contractual obligation? You'd have to think the ultimate goal would be to ride out the contract and then start again under a new name?

Nizmoose said:
Whilst I think it sucks, there is no way i can even begin to try and put myself in the shoes of someone with millions of dollars on offer, I can't blame someone for setting themselves up for life I'd probably do the same.
Exactly. Don't like seeing it, but understandable.

Imagine they could always start a new brewery down the track.

another one bites the dust. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to have that kind of money on the table. Would be very very hard to pass up.

kaiserben said:
But they're sticking around at/with the brand? I assume that must be a contractual obligation?
Pretty common condition in buy outs. Prev owners are 'kept on' as 'consultants'
a ) to let the punters think the original guys will still be creating the product so they dont boycott
b ) as a pseudo non-compete clause so they cant set up shop elsewhere (and dent asahi's profits).

They sold 100% stake so I doubt they will have any influence in any decisions going forward.

I can sorta begrudge them because I'm sure their could of been plenty of options to sellout to...but they did the deal with Asahi which will suck the soul out of MG beer.

kaiserben said:
You can't begrudge them for taking a stack of money.

But they're sticking around at/with the brand? I assume that must be a contractual obligation? You'd have to think the ultimate goal would be to ride out the contract and then start again under a new name?
For sure...they all do it in one way or another.

It is a business, and the aim of the business is to make money, good luck to them, if it is between $20 & $50 million why would anyone bother about starting up again when contractual obligations end, life of Riley from here on in.

I don't begrudge them taking the offer at all, they built something great and then get paid ~ 25 mil each (assumption)... That is a great success story if you ask me.

If I got offered 25 mil and knew I could set myself and family up for life, and spend my days comfortably doing whatever I wanted... well I wouldn't even think twice!

Best of luck to them, MG have done the hard yards and it's good to see them succeed. In regards to the doom sayers on the subject of beer quality going downhill after the takeover, I say wait and judge for yourself when you have the beer in hand.

Sell out. Craft bear is not about large scale multinational beer companies. Oh well. Another one off my list.

Pretty sad. It seems the moment a Brewery get to a certain level of maturity and are brewing good beer, one of the big fish come along, buy them, and slowly unravel all their hard work.

^ if you started a business then toiled for 18 years and got an offer worths millions of dollars you might change your tune

Easy for me to say, but its should not be about the money. Love the craft ( make a living etc). Plus why not take over anther craft bussiness and expand on your own terms.

Drick said:
Pretty sad. It seems the moment a Brewery get to a certain level of maturity and are brewing good beer, one of the big fish come along, buy them, and slowly unravel all their hard work.
True, but there are always others to take their place.

Latest posts

Back