Aromatic Herbs In Your Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonez

Reaction score
I know this is how beer was flavoured before discovering hops, but are there any big (or small) names still doing it?

I have started planting lemon balm in my yard which has a very nice and fine lemony aroma (and I suppose flavour as well) I was wondering if it can be used to add a finishing touch on top a C hop...

I have read that this herb cures almost anything your body can suffer from and even the ill thoughts. :D

Anyone?...

cheers..

Gruit is what the herb beers were called.

Strangely enough when hops were first used there was an outcry in some circles and people lobbied against them.

Baron's Beers use Lemon Myrtle in one of their beers, and Wattleseed in another. One of the few names out there in Oz I think tinkering in this area.

An interesting book to get your hands on is 'The Homebrewers Garden'. Mentions a few brewing herbs you can grow in your garden and ways to use them.

Hopper.

Actually, I had a friend ask me the other day if I could use lemongrass in beer, and straight away I thought - lemongrass wit! With a big bunch of it growing in my backyard, as well as some coriander which has just gone to seed, I've found my next brewing project for the new year!

Cheers - Snow.

Actually, I had a friend ask me the other day if I could use lemongrass in beer, and straight away I thought - lemongrass wit! With a big bunch of it growing in my backyard, as well as some coriander which has just gone to seed, I've found my next brewing project for the new year!

Cheers - Snow.

good on you!

Lemon balm is also prolific and self sows, no much care needed and is highly medicinal. Smells very nice.. a very fine lemon scent I would love in my beer. You only need to touch the leaves with your fingers, no need to crush much the leaves. For culinary this herb can be dried same as with hops. I believe it will have a high efficiency in terms of oil extraction.

Gruit is what the herb beers were called.

Strangely enough when hops were first used there was an outcry in some circles and people lobbied against them.

Baron's Beers use Lemon Myrtle in one of their beers, and Wattleseed in another. One of the few names out there in Oz I think tinkering in this area.

An interesting book to get your hands on is 'The Homebrewers Garden'. Mentions a few brewing herbs you can grow in your garden and ways to use them.

Hopper.

Very interesting!

Wintr before last Squires made an excellent Winter Pepperberry with Native Pepperberry. I reckon it was their best beer ever.

I occasionally stick some cinamon, nutmeg and/or cardomon into a trippel or other strong belgian ale.

I often just think.. eeeew... when I hear of herbs being added, but it does kinda make sense.
Cinnamon Chocolate Stout anyone?

lemon verbena

I have done a kaffir lime leaf beer it was a cracker but be careful!

Medieval Chamomile Oaked Amber Ale.
It wasn't the best recipe idea.

Belgian Wits of course often have herbs, usually Coriander, orange peel or chamomile. Look up a scottish beer called Fraoch, heather ale, its very good if you can find it.

Struise supposedly use a small amount of dried thyme in some of their beers. They tend to make brilliant beers too.

Most herb infused beers I've tried haven't been wonderful though. I think it's all about subtlety. If you can pick it out, you've probably added too much.

Cheers - Snow.
It may not surprise you to know Snow that I've used lemongrass in a beer before.
I think a wit would be good.
I made a Thai beer with lemongrass, coriander, chilli, kaffir lime leaves and a few other things.
I may have posted that in this thread already, assuming it isn't a new one, but I didn't bother reading back through it...

Hmm kaffir lime leaves.. i cant get enough of these in my cooking atm. Almost gets added to everything i make
Added it to a lasagna last time and i think its going to be a common addition to it for summer not to forget good thai food
They give everything that cool refreshing mouth feel thats so reminiscent to a summer Gin and tonic and i think would be great in a spicy summer saison or wit :p

Tom

It may not surprise you to know Snow that I've used lemongrass in a beer before.
I think a wit would be good.
I made a Thai beer with lemongrass, coriander, chilli, kaffir lime leaves and a few other things.
I may have posted that in this thread already, assuming it isn't a new one, but I didn't bother reading back through it...

In present company there's little to be gained of mentioning that I have used Corriander in a Wit. Ben, do you remember the Rosemary Pilsener at last years ANHC.

Thought that was a great beer, I remember the sensation being similar to the very first time I tried a beer hopped with this new hop called "Nelson Sauvin".

Screwy

FWIW, I have a particular fondness for some star anise in a dry stout, however I'm not big on it in sweeter stout at all.

We have an elderberry going beserk in the back yard, have been wondering if elderflower would be a useful addition. I recall seeing a posh one at ChapChap's earlier this year, I didn't sample it though. Oh, here it is, or was something very similar at least. Hmmm, I might give elderflower a whirl if I get enthusiastic one day.

Last year I made a Braggott with heaps of honey and an AG Maris Otter ale base. As well as hops I added cloves, cinnamon sticks and cardmom. The brew ended up tasting exactly like gent's urinal trough lollies. I still can't pick whether it was the pink trough lollies or the yellow trough lollies, but the Braggott got chucked I can assure you :p

One has to wonder how you know what a mens urinal trough lolly tastes like Michael.

drunk-urinal.jpg

Back