Aromas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grombo80

Reaction score
is it possible to use certain things to get aroma in your beer without adding the flavour??

for example;

a freshly mowed lawn

my theory is everyone likes the smell of a fresh cut lawn (as long as the no barkers eggs on it), would make a good novalty beer.

I dont know if this is a stupid question as I am new to brewing, im only on my 4th batch.

If you want aroma without much flavour try dry hopping actual hops. If you dry hop for a while you'll get plenty of aroma and some "grassiness"

Lawn clippings sound terrible to me, but then again I get hay fever... :eek:

That's an interesting one! I must admit I love the smell of a fresh cut lawn but i'm not sure i'd want it in my beer. might be a bit offputting! interesting idea though. i think the grassiness from dry hopping for long periods of time would be different though to fresh cut lawn

You could try good pilsner malt (which can give very pleasant "outdoor in nature" type aromas - at least to me) if you are an all-grain brewer. As per above, you could try dry hopping with a hop that could give grassy aromas, e.g. high amounts of a low alpha-acid EU hop like Saaz.

Seriously though, I think the best European lagers tell me stories about the ingredients, you can kind of smell the air that they grew in. Aaaaaand that made me sound like a dirty hippy.

you can kind of smell the air that they grew in. Aaaaaand that made me sound like a dirty hippy.

I can smell the green-ness of the air billowing out of your house windows already :lol:

Back