Are You A Glad Wrapper ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I am a Glad Wrapper

Do know if this poll has been done before ?

pumpy :)

Nope. I like to hear my beers bubble... :p

Plenty around here do though.

Yes and no.
Some beers I use an airlock, but all of those which go into the beer fridge are gladwrapped.
Secondary is always gladwrapped.

thread needs more poll and broken glass fridge shelves.

Lid and Lock here.

The question is, of the the glad wrappers, how many sterilise the gladwrap or use as is?

I do approximately 50/50 clingwrap vs airlock but I wonder if I should be sterilising my wrap?

Q

Pumpy, there are safer methods of birth control. The rhythm method perhaps? :p

Might not be an issue. Brewer's droop? :unsure: :ph34r:

Anyway, not to go too far off topic Pumpy, I'm not a wrapper. It's all bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop for me. :super:

The question is, of the the glad wrappers, how many sterilise the gladwrap or use as is?

I do approximately 50/50 clingwrap vs airlock but I wonder if I should be sterilising my wrap?

Q

That's what I have wondered...

What are the reasons in favour of using glad wrap? I can't see any advantages??

I use glad wrap for all brews and dont bother sanitising it. I havent had any problems so far.....

Gladwarp here for a long time

No sanitising, no problems

Advantages
- Don't need to clean lid + airlock + o-ring
- Can see into fermenter and tell what is going on
- All the cool kids are doing it!
- No need to rely on blooping / good seal

Cheers

Another one for non-sanitized gladwrap and never had any problems. Big, buldging gladwrap domes look much cooler then a blooping airlock :D

The fermenter is under the house anyways, so I hardly ever got to hear the bloop bloop except for when i went in to see how it was going

Only time i ever use the lid anymore, is for cleaning the fermenter (and sometimes some dirty bottles inside it) by soaking them overnight

Sponge

EDIT: Can't spell...

Gladwarp here for a long time

No sanitising, no problems

Advantages
- Don't need to clean lid + airlock + o-ring
- Can see into fermenter and tell what is going on
- All the cool kids are doing it!
- No need to rely on blooping / good seal

Cheers

I'll pay the first point, but I can see well enough through my fermenter lid. For me, the risk of dropping something on the fermenter or worse, dropping the whole thing is a risk that negates the benefit of the glad wrap being more convenient in terms of sanitizing. Something that's only maybe a tenth of a mm thick is not a sufficient barrier to harm as far as I'm concerned!

GladWrap. As its maker intended.

Problem for me is that if I die from drinking one of my infected beers, will anyone be able to tell if it was the cling film, no-chill cube or BiaB?

SWMBO will want to know if she should sue the Glad corporation, the Willow corporation or Pistol Patch.

I must be way more lazy hardcore than you ladies - I use electrical tape to cover the old airlock hole, with a pin-prick to let the CO2 escape once there's positive pressure inside the Fermenter.

Also gives me the advantage of being able to stack my fermenters. :p

I'll pay the first point, but I can see well enough through my fermenter lid. For me, the risk of dropping something on the fermenter or worse, dropping the whole thing is a risk that negates the benefit of the glad wrap being more convenient in terms of sanitizing. Something that's only maybe a tenth of a mm thick is not a sufficient barrier to harm as far as I'm concerned!
My full fermenter doesn't travel very far and has a dedicated fridge for fermentation so I don't really see a risk of dropping something onto it nor dropping the whole thing

Here is a piccy of mine in action!

Cheers

lifesupportsystemconnected.jpg

thread needs more poll and broken glass fridge shelves.

Lid and Lock here.
I was wondering how long it'd take for me to get a mention in this thread, but I must say, I'm impressed with 5min :)

c.f. for those who haven't heard my tale of woe.

I have a temp probe that is inserted through a hole in a silicon bung. The fermeter lid provides the base in which to insert the bung. Glad wrap would not have the structural integrity to do this. Otherwise it's probably a good option from the cleaning point of view.

I wrap with Glad. It's the only way to go. You guys stuck back in the 90's need to move forward!

I wrap with Glad. It's the only way to go. You guys stuck back in the 90's need to move forward!

Yeah, and I guess that means we ditch glass ferms and go back to plastic. Stuff airlocking anything. Stop chilling my beer. Go into cubes. Start mashing in a bag. Stop racking off the top. Forget starters. Definitely skip secondary for any reason.. too much work. Skip cold conditioning... etc. etc.

787_flame_thrower_gun.gif
move forward :blink: :p

Back