Are the Auber RTD temp probes still the go?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazfletch3

Reaction score
Hi all

Just wondering whether anyone has come across an alternate to the Auber temp probes which they think are comparable. I've decided to go with Sestos PIDs rather than Auber to save a few bucks (being a tightass!) but from what I can see the general consensus is still that the Auber probes are still the way to go.

Any other thoughts guys?

Cheers

Baz

It all depends on what you want, the cheaper probes will work. Personally I've ended up swapping out all my probes (4 probes all up) for Auber ones.

Thanks Kev

Essentially I don't mind paying the cash if it's worthwhile, but no that I'm buying Sestos PIDs from China I was just curious to know if there's anything that can be legitimately compared to the Auber probes which is also from eBay/china.

Cheers

Baz

I have both auber, and one from ebay China. Both are accurate for recording temperature (I think all RTD type probes generally are).

The auber probes are easy to permanently mount in a line if you get a NPT threaded t-piece, and a reducing bush (I think it is 1/2" male to 1/4" female? If you are looking to mount the probe in a line, alternative would be a compression fitting.

The auber probes also have the disconnect built in, but this is easy enough to solder in XLR connectors (you can buy these for a dollar from chinese ebay too!)

If I were to buy any more, I'd take a punt on the cheapies. Even if half of them were duds (and in my experience they are not), still come out miles ahead.

Not sure if it helps but I recently posted an easy an cheap way to mount an in-line probe using a bung. Works a gem.
gallery_33811_1183_106307.jpg

If you are paying more than a few dollars for an RTD or T/C it is for the probe casing, coating on the wire and someones Ferrari.

http://www.pyrosales.com.au/ can make them for any environment and is where I buy ones I use at work. Ebay is where I get my t/c's for homebrew and coffee roaster.

Thanks all- exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

By the time you factor in postage and cable, the auber probes end up about $65 for the first probe, getting cheaper of course if you buy a second or third. I'm staging my build so I might take a punt on the detachable probe- I can buy 1, and if I have trouble worst case I can resort back to the aubers and I haven't lost too much. I think it's worth the chance for the savings.......

Cheers

Baz

Just in case it interests anyone, total cost of 3 x Auber basic PID's (SYL-2352) and 3 x Auber Temp probes with a deluxe cable is about $340 aussie dollars delivered. Total cost of 3 x equivalent Sestos PID's, and 3 of the temp probes linked above from ebay comes to $162 delivered. I know its not quite comparing Apples to Apples, but the tight ass in me cant pass that up!

Cheers

Baz

You defiantly get what you pay for... I've got three of our Pt100 probes running on my brewery and they are a little bit more expensive as the eBay ones above but they're fully SS316 1/2" BSP so no annoying NTP to BSP thread issues..

I've read on here before that only rich people are afford to buy cheap..

EDIT: Saying that, those probes look fine if you're on a budget... thinking back to starting out in the electric brewing area I also got some cheaper units to get my system off the grown.. if I had my time over though I think I'd buy right the first time.

-Gav

Putrino said:
Not sure if it helps but I recently posted an easy an cheap way to mount an in-line probe using a bung. Works a gem.
gallery_33811_1183_106307.jpg
Is having hot liquid up against your bung advisable? Those things always seem to have a strong rubbery smell to me, unless it's 100% silicon or something? Still, I'd be worried about it popping out of the bung hole (at least the end is tapered so it can't go in too far!).

If anybody is chasing some RTD's I have two for sale :p They don't work with my BCS is all, but they look the business. 1.5 inch probe, 1/2" NPT threaded with quick disconnects
"

Found it mildly disappointing when I got my auber probes sent all the way from the us of a. First thing I noticed was the made in china sticker. Bugger. To be expected I guess and they work great.

They have a very thin probe which is very sensitive and adjusts to temp change quickly. Had a cheap one for playing around with and it seemed to take forever for temp change to register. Different metal thickness I guess but that alone made me happy I went with the auber probes.
Matt

Note you can now get the auber RTD's with a 1/2" thread. I missed this and ended up with the bushes reducers. I bought 1x weldless through wall probe for the BK and the other two were 1/4". When I got the I bought them with 8' cables and 3x panel connectors. As someone here stated they come with the panel side connector so that was a waste of $11.

One question I had is can you wash the bare terminals when you have your cables disconnected? Making sure you let them dry before hooking them up of course!

I went with SESTOS PIDs as well. $30 isn't too much wasted if I decide to swap one out for the ramping auber, otherwise they do the same job. They wire up funny to the temp bribes though.

No you can't really wash the bare terminals as they are not sealed and you can get water inside the connector and probe assembly.

sjp770 said:
Note you can now get the auber RTD's with a 1/2" thread. I missed this and ended up with the bushes reducers. I bought 1x weldless through wall probe for the BK and the other two were 1/4". When I got the I bought them with 8' cables and 3x panel connectors. As someone here stated they come with the panel side connector so that was a waste of $11.

One question I had is can you wash the bare terminals when you have your cables disconnected? Making sure you let them dry before hooking them up of course!

I went with SESTOS PIDs as well. $30 isn't too much wasted if I decide to swap one out for the ramping auber, otherwise they do the same job. They wire up funny to the temp bribes though.
What do the panel connectors look like? Couldn't tell from the auberins website. Still trying to decide if I go for the xlr connectors or not.

Back