Are Fuel Jerry Cans Cc Safe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st.sloth

Reaction score
had a search to see if this had come up before, to no avail...

does anyone know off the bat if the red plastic fuel jerry cans sold at camping and hardware stores labelled as for fuel storage purposes are food grade?

cheers

had a search to see if this had come up before, to no avail...

does anyone know off the bat if the red plastic fuel jerry cans sold at camping and hardware stores labelled as for fuel storage purposes are food grade?

cheers

Why risk it... The HDPE jerry cans you can get from camping and hardware stores (same plastic as your fermenter) would be the same price or cheaper

No!

Fuel jerry cans are NOT food grade. Jerry can plastic needs stabilisers that will leach into a polar liquid (such as water or beer).

Don't risk it.

I don't believe that I would want to use a container that was made to carry fuel of any kind, It may be new but how was it handled? was it loaned out for fuel from the store? did someone buy it put fuel in it and then return it to the store? I have heard of someone cutting up a steel "new and unused" jerry can and having it blowing up on him because it was used. As Kai and Rets have said, why risk it?

Gavo.

No they are not. Thats why the food grade ones have Water imprinted on them. Well , mine have

I'd definitely stick to the Willow water carrycans. I heard that some Bunnings stores have been specialing them for $15. My Willow Nochill Cube has done 60 AG brews. Cheap as.

okei pokei. i'll take that as a no.

cheers fellas - wanted to double check. douchebags from the store told me they were food grade over the phone...

I'd definitely stick to the Willow water carrycans. I heard that some Bunnings stores have been specialing them for $15. My Willow Nochill Cube has done 60 AG brews. Cheap as.

They had them for $12.00 something in BigW last week.

Batz

Back