Apa With Nelson Sauvin & Cascade?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattemmo

Reaction score
Hi guys, just been reading a bit about Nelson Sauvin and how it may work well in an APA.

I was looking at doing this (please critique):

1 x Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
1 x Morgans 1.5k unhopped pale male extract
30g Cascade @ 10 min
Safale S-04

So, if I added Nelson Sauvin to this, how much and for how long would you recommend - am happy to change the amount of cascade, have got 50g in the fridge.

Also does anyone know where I could get my hands on Nelson Sauvin in Brisbane?

Cheers,
M.E.

personally i wouldnt be putting nelson in with cascade as an aroma addition

theyre both fairly characteristic hops and will compete with each other for aroma

with that kit combo that you have, i would probably suggest 15g of cascade at 15 minutes and 15g of cascade at 5 minutes.

or

50% of each addition of nelson in place of the cascade

cheers,

hughman

Hi guys, just been reading a bit about Nelson Sauvin and how it may work well in an APA.

I was looking at doing this (please critique):

1 x Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
1 x Morgans 1.5k unhopped pale male extract
30g Cascade @ 10 min
Safale S-04

So, if I added Nelson Sauvin to this, how much and for how long would you recommend - am happy to change the amount of cascade, have got 50g in the fridge.

Cheers,
M.E.

Craftbrewer for a start, if you call beaudesert a part of brisbane :p (though having said that, their courier is cheap and fast)

I'm fair sure my local brewer's choice had it in stock last I was there too, off the top of my head. Pellets, at any rate

Craftbrewer for a start, if you call beaudesert a part of brisbane :p (though having said that, their courier is cheap and fast)

When did we move to Beaudesert :p

we are in Carbrook - just behing the Logan Hyperdome.

+++

NS goes great with cascade IMO, I use them together all the time.

cheers Ross

Hey mattemmo,

S-04 is not a very clean yeast, IMHO.
I'd ditch the S-04 as first order of business, and use US-05 or Nottingham as smoother alternatives.

I'm currently brewing a Pale Ale of sorts with nothing but NS and New Zealand Cascade, smells great, they seem to work very well together. US Cascade should also work well with NS as far as I'm concerned.

S-04 is not a very clean yeast, IMHO.
I'd ditch the S-04 as first order of business, and use US-05 or Nottingham as smoother alternatives.

Thanks Hutch, I do remember someone telling me that the S04 will give me a bit of a fruity flavour now that you mention it - which isn't what I'm looking for with an APA. Thanks for saving me!

I've read a bit about the S05 but havn't heard much about Nottingham?

So with the S04 - what should I be using this in?

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks Hutch, I do remember someone telling me that the S04 will give me a bit of a fruity flavour now that you mention it - which isn't what I'm looking for with an APA. Thanks for saving me!

Cheers,
Matt
Vegemite ;)

..but seriously, I don't like the stuff, but plenty of people on here use it (possibly because it's been around for a long time). The US-05 is a very smooth yeast, and is ofen used for nice clean hoppy ales where you want the hops to dominate.
Danstar Nottingham is another that gets quite a few thumbs-up as a suitable clean alternative. It's available from one of the site sponsors.
Hutch.

Cheers,
Matt

Opinions about the yeast aside S04 is a British ale yeast. So any English Bitter/ESB/Stout etc...
For an APA, definitely S05 in my book in terms of dried yeast.

Nottingham is a good yeast for certain beers, but I wouldn't use it in an APA myself. Just my opinion of course...

Thanks Ross, what percentages of each do you think would work well?

1/3rd Nelson to 2/3rds Cascade

Edit:

US-05 APA's
SO-4 English Bitters
Nottingham IPA's, Alt's, Dark beers.

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back