Anyones Thoughts On Cascade Spicy Ghost

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover101

Reaction score
howdy A.H.B comunity, i was thinking of buying this kit for my next brew (4th brew ever) and was wondering if anyone has any feed back that may help me decide, it will be either that or their pail ale (imperial voyage) if any one has any feed back on that it would be much appreicated :D . i have done heriatage lager, blue mount lager and malt shovel 2 row (as u can see below),and was looking for something different.

Shit shit and double shit, avoid that spicy ghost like the plague...
Nasty stuff...

I have heard the statement "Cascade spend all their money on the outside of the can" a lot of times.
If you want to try something interesting and reall nice try the following.
I make it constantly as it is a great IPA to just have around.

Add all the following directly to fermenter.

1.7kg Cascade Imperial Voyager Pale Ale
1.3 KG Light Malt Extract
300 grams Dextrose
300 grams Maltodextin Corn Syrup
15 grams Cascade Hops - boil for 15 minutes in 300 millilitres water, filter through cloth and add water/hop mix to fermenter.

Alc vol about 5-6%.
It will take longer than usual to ferment.
It can be drunk after 2 weeks in the bottle but I have found it REALLY benefits with an extra 2 weeks in the bottle.

Just remembered I got this from the cascade homebrew website ages ago.
http://www.cascadehomebrew.com.au/brewkits/recipes.asp

what about the imperial voyage pail ale?????
edit-sorry slow writer

thanks :D yeastie beastie i will defiently have to try it instead of spicy ghost, how long in fermenter???

thanks :D yeasty beasti i will defiently have to try it instead of spicy ghost, how long in fermenter???

Normally about 10 days. I normally wait for the airlock action to stop and then wait another 2 days.
I have done this brew for ages and it is so somple but yet so nice I feel guilty.

hi aussiecraftbeerlover

Have you tried using the search function (use the google option)? As this topic has been covered in many other threads, such as this one: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=34753&st=0.

A lot of people bag the cascade kits, but I believe you can get a nice beer out of them as long as you chuck out the kit yeast and replace it with a better quality yeast

edit: also please DON'T follow YB's advice "I normally wait for the airlock action to stop and then wait another 2 days." You really need to check that the SG is the same over 2 consecutive days to determine that fermentation has finished

Those Cascade kits are okay - I used to be fond of their "porter".

But if you want your beer to get A LOT better ... look into the extract-brewing process.

Ditch the kits, (buy unhopped malt extracts and hops and forulate your own beer), just as easy, thank me later.

I've only made a couple of Cascade kits, and found them average, but I'd mainly blame that on my recipes than the kit itself.
If you could be arsed ordering it, Country Brewers Summer Wheat wetpak is very nice, otherwise search for a hoegaarden style recipe.

Spicy Ghost is the worst kit I have ever tasted with the best name.
Only if its on super special and then use it only for the base to something better.

The ghost...shudder.

If you search you will find some horror stories. The main problem is the yeast that comes with these Cascade kits. Don't trust the yeast and you'll be on the right path. Old versions of this kit had lager yeasts, not ale yeasts and needed to be fermented at lower temps it appears.

Some here have had good results with kits and bits versions of the Golden Harvest (mainly) and one or two with the Choc Mahogany kit - but the ghost is a bit of a shocker by reputation, and I have the war wounds to prove it.

Created my only truly undrinkable brew with that phantom. Made some of my stuff-ups taste truly palatable. :icon_vomit: Horrific.

Hopper.

thanks again every one :D , as usual the aussie home brewers have saved the day, and my money. this spicy ghost sounds like it has quite the reputation and best avoided at all costs :icon_vomit: .

Well all this has been quite educational, as I thought it was just the Tooheys kits that were crap. <_<

Back