Anyone Used These Bottles ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen them - they're not usually that cheap - that's a good price. Not really appropriate for beer - it'll get light-struck. Perfect for cider, ginger-beer, wine, mead, etc though. Do they have coloured ones?

See them quite often in the 'cheapy' shops never been tempted to buy them.

Main drawback that I can see is they do not do them in dark brown so unless you can store in either boxes or a dark place might hit lightstrike problems.

Much prefer Coopers Longnecks and a capper get some beer to drink and a good quality bottle. :chug:

We bought a few similar to this for about the same price at a cheapo shop. I managed to break one quite easily by knocking it against the kitchen bench. The wall of the glass was rediculously thin in some places. I would not want it to be under pressure...ofcourse they could be higher quality than the shitty ones we bought.
Cheers, John.

I have a couple of bottles like this I use to use for water. They are thin and break easily.

Recently I used to them to bring some of my kegged beer to a party. I couldn't get a proper seal but I guess you could if you had one of the bigger bottle caps (they are about the size of a champagne bottle.

You'd be much better off getting your hands on some decent long necks or some Grolsch bottles.

Id also look to see about replacement seal size.. being IKEA they might be of 'their type only'.. <_<

just a thouht...
:icon_cheers:

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to take a punt and get a couple. I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to take a punt and get a couple. I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers.
I haven't used those bottles, but have used other "non-beer",clear, swing-top, type bottles.

I found over 50% exploded.
In particular I was using the 8 sided ones, but all seems to have thin walls.
I think they are made for low(no) pressure, like still water.
I wouldn't waste my money, time or beer on them.

I use the Coopers PET bottles, empty PET softdrink bottles (all sizes from 300 ml to 2 litres) and empty grolsch bottles, .. all with no problems.

Can anyone tell me if the Coopers Light Dry Malt (the one that comes in 500g available at BigW) is it good enough to make beer out of. Or should I get the ones they sell from HBS?

Can anyone tell me if the Coopers Light Dry Malt (the one that comes in 500g available at BigW) is it good enough to make beer out of. Or should I get the ones they sell from HBS?
A little bit off topic, but the answer is "yes" you can use it.
I suggest you try both the Coopers malt and the HBS malts in separate brews and compare side by side.
Your personal tastes may slant to one or the other.

A little bit off topic, but the answer is "yes" you can use it.
I suggest you try both the Coopers malt and the HBS malts in separate brews and compare side by side.
Your personal tastes may slant to one or the other.

Yeh, Im sorry about that.. I actually didnt realise I was still in this forum when I posted it.. I thought I was in the Pale Ale one.. then I was like "wheres my question" and saw I put it here.. :rolleyes:

but thanks for the answer anyways.. :)

Yeh, Im sorry about that.. I actually didnt realise I was still in this forum when I posted it.. I thought I was in the Pale Ale one.. then I was like "wheres my question" and saw I put it here.. :rolleyes:

but thanks for the answer anyways.. :)
when considering $$$ the Coopers 500g usually goes for around $6 where I live.
malt at the local HBS is around $12/kg so cost neutral for me.

I'm still playing with both to decide which I prefer.

Has anything tried the 750 ml Bundaberg Ginger Beer botttles?

We drink it every now and again and I've saved a few to give them a try.

Cheers

Mark

Someone does - I can't remember who, but apparently they're OK.

Latest posts

Back