Anyone use their MLT as a fermenter also?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Judge

Reaction score
Heard someone say they do that so they can have a bigger fermenter.

You could. Probably remove the false bottom and clean/sanitise it.

Hmm,have to big mash tun to warrant a " big" fermenter.
You would need to transfer the wort,then drain and clean the tun,then transfer the wort back into the tun/fermenter,then ferment.
All the while not being able to do another brew because its full of fermenting goodness.
My 2cents.
But to answer your question no I haven't .
Moving the wort back and forth from one pot/ vessel to another then back again would be a PITA and running a high risk of contamination.
4 cents worth.:)

Once used my boil kettle when I ran out of other options. Nothing wrong with the idea so long as it's super clean and sanitary but you do restrict your brewing, tying up a mash tun for that amount of time.

Nah mate. Although I would use that over my boil kettle in a pinch. The BK has all sorts of strains cooked into the teflon tape :ph34r:.

Yeah, the biggest point there is tying up your equipment for long periods at a time. Strange though, a guy at Brewmart in WA (Phil) recommended my mates do that with their new system that they're building, but that is probably because they're going 75L vessels and getting plastic fermenters for that kind of volume might be a struggle. Regardless, good feedback. Cheers.

I imagine your mates' 75L vessels are steel and providing the MLT doesn't have many fittings in it, it's probably feasible to clean it enough to ferment in.

With a plastic MLT, it will have many scratches inside and cleaning it enough (ridding bugs from a mash) to ferment would be hard.

Latest posts

Back