Anyone Sell Their Beer Or Ever Thought About It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C21 Brewing

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone on here has gone from pure home brewing and gotten good enough at it to then either sell it (either to breweries or via internet/mail order, etc) or has at least thought about doing so?

A mate of mine and myself want to get good enough at brewing to be able to sell it...a pipe dream or a dream possibly turned into reality...?

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum but didnt know where else to put this...

cheers,

C21 Brewing.

I've had people offer me money for my beer, but I've tunred them down each time. I've always thought that bringing money into the equation would take away from why I brew in the first place.

My understanding is to sell beer, you need to get all sorts of coverage, pay taxes, excise, license fees, insurance etc, get health dept certification etc as you are now a commercial food producer.

Here is someone who did.

http://the-riotact.com/?p=2949

I believe it is OK to give it away swap for like goods like their beer or other home made stuff, but don't quote me.

yeah, you can do swaps like the christmas swaps that happen each year; that's all fine and legal.

My biggest problem isn't the legality thing, but more that money will corrupt what I have grown to view as my craft.

Before you even think about it, look up the penalties.

I did so a few years ago and from memory it went something like:-
Up to 5 years imprisonment
Up to $100,000 in fines
The cost of prosecuting you

And twice what they think you made, as a penalty.

I dont see the point.

MHB

Before you even think about it, look up the penalties.

I did so a few years ago and from memory it went something like:-
Up to 5 years imprisonment
Up to $100,000 in fines
The cost of prosecuting you

And twice what they think you made, as a penalty.

I dont see the point.

MHB
Now I remember why I don't sell beer to people at work, when they ask me. Don't mind giving some samples away, if I can spare 'em.

I have been known to brew a batch for someone if they provide ingredients (and assistance, if they are a brewer).

Plus, I find it reprehensible, if not irresponsible and illegal, to profit from this hobby.
I'm happy to remain an amateur for a little longer, OK?

Seth out :p

I wouldn't think that anyone would be silly enough to sell beer illegally.

From what I've read, some of the best craftbrewers in the industry started out at home.

I'd have no problem converting my hobby into a profession, if I thought I could do it right.

While selling your beer is the path to a holiday at the crown's expense. Selling your recipe isn't. I just missed out on trying a seasonal Alley Kat (canada) Dopplebock which had been brewed to a BC home brewers recipe. Gerard did this as part of a comp at Paddy's a year or so ago. Maybe some of our comps could offer this oportunity in the future with some royalties going back to the brewer.

Well I guess I should have clarified that I had no intention of selling it without all the proper licences, etc...

I have already looked up certain aspects that are needed to sell your own beer like getting say a Packaged Liquor licence or a pre-retail or renewable limited one (depends on how and where you sell it).

I have read the Mountain Goat story too.

I just wanted to know a) if anyone on here actually sold their own beer or if B) they were planning on doing so in the future (licenced and all).

Haven't sold any. But if mates want a batch brewed for an event, I am usually happy to oblige. Sometimes they throw in for some of the ingredients, but I'm not overly fussed. I get experience out of brewing what they want, so it's a good deal. I'll just skim a 6pack off the top :)

I have already looked up certain aspects that are needed to sell your own beer like getting say a Packaged Liquor licence or a pre-retail or renewable limited one (depends on how and where you sell it).

What state are you in C21? In NSW you need to get one of these: Liquor Off-Licence (Brewer). They're easier to obtain in other states, from what I've heard.

I had assumed that the intent of the original post was to find out about legally manufacturing and selling beer. So if anyone has any useful info about the situation in WA, fire away. Thanks for the link to the NSW stuff ...

This thread is a good example of Chinese Whispers - lol! C21 at no stage suggested selling beer illegally.

Sorry it got off track for you C21. I think all of us at some stage fantasise about selling beer commercially. The economics are the major factor with marketing being the primary one.

It costs a lot to set up a commercial brewery - even a small one. You can brew a great beer and even then still not do well. Just look at what a commercial airline's main expense is. Fuel? No. Plane lease? No. Staff? No! Advertising/marketing is their major expense!

Having said this, I'm all for the fantasising!

Cheers,
PP

It's only vaguely related, but I played a pretty decent prank on a mate when I was at college, years ago.

He was the Treasurer of the student club and his role was to watch the books for the uni year. He also organised some activities for the smallish college, (which happened to include the sale of a few bottles of port each year to willing students). I thought about the implications of this and popped down to the local Police station, pretending to be interested in a career in the force (all I wanted was their crest, to be used as an "official" document from the cops).
I drafted up a pretty aggressive note from the local police and Liquor Licensing Board, clearing stating the potential penalties of his actions...

After proudly displaying the letter on the college noticeboard, I got the two of us in a decent amount of shit when the principal caught wind of it! Port hasn't been sold to students there since!!

Anyway....back on topic now...

While selling your beer is the path to a holiday at the crown's expense. Selling your recipe isn't. I just missed out on trying a seasonal Alley Kat (canada) Dopplebock which had been brewed to a BC home brewers recipe. Gerard did this as part of a comp at Paddy's a year or so ago. Maybe some of our comps could offer this oportunity in the future with some royalties going back to the brewer.

Alley Kat didn't buy the recipe. Kind of a long story, but here goes.

The homebrew club in Regina, Saskatchewan is hosted by a brewpub called the Bushwakker. For as long as I can remember, the owner of the pub has agreed to brew one batch of their competition's best in show beer. Part of this prize is that the best in show homebrewer gets to help brew the beer.

Our club, the Edmonton Homebrewers Guild, decided to ask Neil (owner of Alley Kat) if he'd be willing to offer something similar for our competition. Bear in mind that sometimes the best in show beer may not be something that you could sell. So we asked what seasonal specialty he was planning, and he said it was a doppelbock. We asked if he'd be gracious enough to consider using what he thought was the winning doppelbock as the basis for this particular beer, and he agreed. Here's the fine print: He could reject all entries if he felt that none were good enough, and the doppelbock he chose did not necessarily have to be the best doppelbock as chosen by the judges. He also had ultimate say over the actual recipe. The winner also got to help brew the batch at Alley Kat (and also got his picture on the label). Neil actually brewed two batches of this beer, and apparently sales have been good. We're hoping that he'd be willing to try this again next year, but we haven't asked him yet.

My advice to you would be to simply get a brewery/brewpub interested in this idea, but not actually paying the winning brewer for the recipe and/or royalties. All homebrewers I know would give their left arm to get a commercial establishment to brew their recipe, so I don't think that monetary compensation is a big part of the equation. From the brewery's point of view, they're risking a lot by agreeing to brew something that may not be part of their regular offering. It's our hobby, it's their living.

Latest posts

Back