Anyone Seen These Pumps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did you get it from ebay or solarshop? I got mine from solarshop but can't figure out if the chinese ones are the same thing or a knock off. Mine has held 65 for a few hours in testing at least.

Mine was a chinese one. Started out o.k. - did a few brews with it, which was all I needed it for, but then started to stall from what appears to be overheating. I removed it from the system and wacked it in the freezer for 5 mins, and away it went again. If it didn't keep stopping, and the time period of the mash was a round 2.5 hours, with ramp up from cold water to mashout, I would have kept using it (duh, obviously). It was only a stop gap measure anyway.
I saw the UK model pumps, but buggered if I can tell if they are different just by looking at the pics and reading specs.
Cheers
LagerBomb

I might have to withdraw my winning Stout from the comp. Doesn't having a pump qualify you as a professional brewer? :ph34r:

Nah, you'll be ok...

You have to have a pump and a milk crate. The milk crate has to be black too....Having two milk crates means you're one of the mega's...

In addition to this, if you BIAB, you'll need one of those green brewers buckets to collect your runnings if you're not a squeezy type brewer. Any other colour is not an option.

So the black one in the first post is the better pump?

Yeah I'd say so - the black one was 70-80, you can get the brown one for about 35 shipped from ebay or 55 shipped from the UK

Went like a dream Batz. Recirculated for about 10 mins with each of the two batch sparges. Wort came out crystal clear, hit my volume exactly and got about another 10% efficiency.

Where did you get those plastic butterfly type connectors that were on the hose? I wouldn't mind getting a couple more.

Cheers

Campbell

Any boating place Campbell, great aren't they? and cheap as chips. Food grade as well.

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-1481-hose-adaptors.aspx

I do put an 'o' ring in them otherwise they can leak but that's a snap to do.
I'm glad it went well for you, now chuck that old esky!

I've been wanting to get the pump from solar project shop until i saw the ebay pump. From the reviews i read on the UK forum, so far there hasnt been any stalling or major issue on their pumps. From the pictures, the ebay version does look very similar but i have no ideas if its food grade or not, also someone here complained that it stalls so I'm thinking if i shld just pay more for the one in solar project shop.

I plan to use it mainly for recirculate mash and transfer to kettle as im boiling on my kitchen top stove, and carry 30L of wort can be a problem. If its used for that then im not sure if it will stall since it should not go over 80c while the pump is rated 100c. BUT, im thinking since i have the pump, i may just use it as a whirpool pump as well but thats where the heat problem comes in, since i have to recirculate hot boiling wort for at least 10 mins first to sterilise it...

Are there many cases of stalling or just a bad unit in that case?

For what it's worth I asked both the solarshop guy and the ebay guy if their brown pumps were food safe. Solarshop said yes, ebay guy said no. No idea if they are both right either way but that's what they said. uk one was only $15 more so I went with it.

Guess I've got a spare pump for when I get my plate chiller. No go if its not food safe. Will grab a march me thinks as it will be useful if the small scale works to upgrade to my 50lt setup. Stupid late night eBay purchases under the influence.

Yeah, i think i will go for the UK one for peace of mind, especially since a $15-20 difference is so little if u spread the cost out over 2 yrs lol. Im wondering if it will choke with grains or hops while recirculating the mash or whirl-pooling the kettle given how small it it inside.

Yeah it's a bugger, there's every chance the ebay seller just didn't know for sure, they do look identical and you would assume the Uk guy just got a bulk lot from the same manufacturer as the chinese seller but who knows. It would be good to compare them side by side, I might bite the bullet and get an ebay one to compare next time I have spare cash.
Keifer check the one I linked to at the top of this thread, cheaper than a march but food safe.

Got a reply from the chinese dude who said it wasnt foodgrade. I of the same mind with Tim on this, and believe that its highly plausible that they are the same items. Given how these things are produced on an oem basis in china daily, i cant see anyone wanting to compete making an identical thing and yet keep cost lower.

I think maybe either of them made be genuinely misinformed lol

Back