Anyone Know Any Good Beer Destinations In Launceston?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christmasbender

Reaction score
morning all,

i was lucky enough to win a weekend away to launceston and a tour of the boags brewery (thanks beer deluxe). now i'm sure the boags brewery will be ok, but does anyone know of any good bars with a decent beer selection in launceston?

or any micros around? i know moobrew is down near hobart so won't be getting down there.

any info is much appreciated

cheers

christmasbender

Might be a bit out of your reach but Seven Sheds is worth a look. About an hour from Launy

http://www.sevensheds.com/

He hasn't got a huge range but the Kentish is quite nice and the melomel very interesting. Try and make sure Willie is there, a bloke that has been writing about the game for 20 odd years is worth a chat to.

The Cock'n'Bull is a alright British Pub, they have Guiness all the time :icon_drool2:

Go the Star Bar. Just the normal Boags/Cascade/CUB stuff on tap BUT they DO have Moo Brew Pale ale on tap also. I just got back from a weekend down there and only left the star bar late Sunday arvo LOL

The cock and bull usually has Two metre tall beers and some on the hand pump too.

The rest of the pubs are pretty much either Boags or Cascade.

+1 for the star bar and the cock & bull.

The cock has hand pulled Two Meter Tall ales also, worth a look.

Most of the other micros like Ironhouse are bit out of the way

"The cock and bull usually has Two metre tall beers and some on the hand pump too."

...beat me to it

+1 Seven Sheds

If Willie's there he'll give you a guided tour...

sap.

It's been a while (2+ years) since I was there but a place called Mud on the docks had some good beers and pretty good food. It could be crap now, but it was pretty good.

thanks for the the info guys. might have to give the c&b and the star bar a go.

had seen the seven sheds but i think it's a bit far out as don't have a hire car at this stage. but if we get one and i can split the driving with the missus (i drive out - she drives back) then i'm there!

anyone know if they stock wille's kentish ale or meads in any bars/bottle shops in launceston?

cheers

christmasbender

Welcome to Tassie we love visitors and their money. If you are looking for a real Microbrewery experience try Ironhouse Pilsener if you can find it on tap in Lonie. I am going up to Ironhouse Point over Easter to see if I can find out what hop they use in it. Who knows I might get lucky, it is a superb beer.

Cheers.

Don't think this mob have a cellar door or tour but worth looking out for it in a Launceston bar fridge if they ship it there.

http://www.wineglassbaybrewing.com.au/

Haven't tried anything by these guys myself. Think their background is originally in wine.

Hopper.

The mud bar on the waterfront is a pretty nice bar and last time i was there they had Boags Wizard smith ale on tap. Its pretty hard to find in bottle form here in Melbourne and is seasonal from all reports. I did see it on the shelf at the star bar though but the mud is the only place I've seen it on tap from memory.

Iron house do great beers and I"m a fan of their wheat beer.

The Boags brewery tour is great, better than the Cascade tour (in Hobart).

Tour the Tamar Valley for wines, and I think some microbreweries now too.

I wonder if you can buy hops from the farms down in Tassie??

went to the royal oak and had myself a few pints of hazards ale. not a bad drop. also tried another tassie brew, a honey porter. can't remember the name but it wasn't the nicest (actually think it may have been off). no typical porter tastes and no honey either. just a nasty medical kinda taste.

boags brewery was ok. the wizard smith ale tasted much better on tap at the brewery from what i remember it in bottles.

never made it to the star or the cock & bull. never made it over to seven sheds either (and didn't see the kentish ale anywhere). save them for next time.

cheers,

christmasbender

morning all,

i was lucky enough to win a weekend away to launceston and a tour of the boags brewery (thanks beer deluxe). now i'm sure the boags brewery will be ok, but does anyone know of any good bars with a decent beer selection in launceston?

or any micros around? i know moobrew is down near hobart so won't be getting down there.

any info is much appreciated

cheers

christmasbender

The Woolven St Brewery is always worth a try in Youngtown although rumor has it that it has relocated to Hadspen and is in the process of a capacity upgrade

lol....... :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back