Anyone Have Photos Of Bunnings 25 Litre Container?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slightly

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm looking for a secondary fermenter for fruit beers, does anyone have a photo of the 25 litre containers that are sold at bunnings? (the ones with red lids)

Just go in there and buy the one with the red lid.

Jebus Christie!

I just want to make sure I get the right one is all.

Here's the thing. It doesn't bloody matter. The red lid isn't magic. Any food grade container of an appropriate size will do the job. Ability to put a tap on it is preferable for most people. Anything designed for water carrying will be food grade. Just go have a squiz.

Maybe a mate can go with you and hold your hand?

you cant miss them, its the only ones they sell. Look like a fermenter with a red lid. I think they are made by BMW plastics

as seen on this page with a grey lid. http://www.toys.com.au/garden.html "25L wide mouth drum"

Cheers.

A couple times I've gone to look in bunnings for something and they only had variations so if I'm going to make the trip I want to have my facts straight.

you can buy them at any camping store as well and some fishing stores have them (BCF has them) they are a little more expensive but the cubes are better quality as all the ones at bunnings I picked up leaked. went to BCF and they didnt there as they have a rubber oring in the lid. But as said they look like a fermenter (will have to drill a hole in the lid for the airlock and buy a o ring) as long as its made to store water and has a bung just buy a tap and your right

Bunningsbarrel.jpg Here's the one i think you mean.
bunnings2.jpgThe second one is from Bunnings too. I don't use the lids on either as i've been converted to cling wrap, so much better to see what's going on. Less to wash / sanitise and no risk of the airlock sucking back if or when i move them.

Here's the thing. It doesn't bloody matter. The red lid isn't magic. Any food grade container of an appropriate size will do the job. Ability to put a tap on it is preferable for most people. Anything designed for water carrying will be food grade. Just go have a squiz.

Maybe a mate can go with you and hold your hand?

Man, somebody got out of bed on the wrong side today. :D Especially since you're usually very patient with we ignorant learners.

The thing is, once you really get the concept behind something it seems completely obvious. But when you're learning and someone says you need a colgebagger, just get a plastic one, and so you get one, they then say, you idiot, it needs to be a square colgebagger or you can't fit the blagfiggle...

i've been converted to cling wrap, so much better to see what's going on. Less to wash / sanitise and no risk of the airlock sucking back if or when i move them.

+1

Man, somebody got out of bed on the wrong side today. :D Especially since you're usually very patient with we ignorant learners.

The thing is, once you really get the concept behind something it seems completely obvious. But when you're learning and someone says you need a colgebagger, just get a plastic one, and so you get one, they then say, you idiot, it needs to be a square colgebagger or you can't fit the blagfiggle...

I got my colgebagger before I got the blagfiggle for it to avoid this, having learned my lesson from the Goltzenschwagger Incident.

He was told what to get, from where, why, how to use it and how much to expect it to cost in another thread by other users about 30 seconds before he made this thread. I'm sure it looks bad out of context. I think I was pretty reserved all things considered.

Yeah but the dimensions can and will effect fermentation.

Fair call, and one that should be pointed out for anyone reading it out of context, but you know very well he is looking to get a 25l vessel (because you told him to) and that he wants it for using fruit in secondary. Not quite the same issue as using a 100l cube type arrangement for a 19l brew.

Yeah but the dimensions can and will effect fermentation.

Not at a homebrew scale (ridiculously shaped fermenters excepted).

The main issue with fermenter size/dimensions is the height. Very tall fermenter = very high hydrostatic pressure at the bottom of the fermenter. Not a problem unless height is of the order of many metres.

Back