Anyone Foermented In 20l Willow Containers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
The Domestic Godess recently stood on the tap of one of my fermenters as it was sitting on the floor awaiting cleaning. Result is one dead fermenter.

I have a few 17L cubes of NC wort waiting to ferment. I have just blown dry on my house APA and need to ferment. I can't see any issue in using a 20L (actually prob 22L) Willow jerry can for the 17L of wort. It won't go nuts as it's only 1045 or so and will ferment cool. The container has a tap in it etc - I've used it to secondary before without an issue.

Any potential probs?

Cheers - Mike

I have thought about this. Then considered the cleaning ! It' a lot harder to give the krausen ring a good scrub if its stuck onto the sides if youre mucking about with a brush through that little hole at the top.

many people I know (including myself and my father) used to ferment in plastic garbage bins with nary more than a sheet of muslin over the top and they all worked out fine. Guess that this would be another option.
I have also brewed in a 20 litre square drum with a gravity seal in the screw on lid, was a pain in the ass getting it in there but it worked none the less. As long as you can get it clean and sanitary it will work.

It'll be fine. I've never used the willow ones, but have used cubes a lot to ferment in for both primary and the occasional secondary. 17L in a 22L container should be fine, especially with the cooler weather. Clean out after fermentation with napisan.

Used 'em for 10 years with no probs. Soak in napisan for 24 hours to clean all the nasties out.

I regularly use my 20L willow for secondary and any trub ring is easily digested by napisan. Now the thing is that although they are nominally 20L they are actually 23L. So for a brew less than 20 they should work fine.

Latest posts

Back