Anyone Ever Malted Their Own Barley ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redgums500

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a go at this ? I have access to low protein barley, literally by the acre, and was wondering about the practicalities of going about it. I have an idea of the theory of malting .

cheers :huh:

redgums

Yes, there have been a number of posts about home malting.

Giving it a go is a great way to understand yet another facet of brewing. The skill of the malter determines how good the ingredients are that make your beer. Poorly malted barley means poor beer, no matter how good a brewer you are.

It is basically rinsing, steeping at cold temps, allowing to sprout (so the acrospire is about 2/3 along UNDER the husk) stopping the germination and drying it. As the grain dries out, the enzymes become more stable and resilient to temperature. The temperature is gradually raised as the grain dries out. Then it is kilned.

That is a bit simplistic, a bit like saying beer is made by steeping malted barley, rinsing it, boiling it and fermenting it.

There is an excellent article on the Brew Your Own magazine website.

You could also search the AHB site using the key word acrospire.

a few people on here do it - use the "search" button
i make some crystal malts from time to time but not base malts
unless you've got all the right equipment it's not really worth the hassle
you can use small amounts of raw barley and wheat as adjuncts in brews if you're mad keen on using some.

That sounds like a bit of fun. Hopefulyl ill get a chance to try it some day. I dont tihnk i would do it very often but it would be great to make a beer with your own malted barley and homegrown hops!

RIMG0655.JPGRIMG0658.JPG

All I did was get two 89c buckets from bunnings, drill holes in the base of one and put 2.5 kg of grain in the iner one and filled it with water. I made sure that it didnt sit in the same water for longer than 8 hours until the shoots started appearing and then just dumped in fresh water occasionally to keep moist. the grains are nearly ready for drying.

next time I will use two 20lt mayo buckets and do 5kg.

Cheers.

RIMG0666.JPG

On the drying rack.

A bakers tray I found in the cupbourd at an old flat lined with the messenger newspaper. I'll make sure theyre damp and of to bed, they should be fully modified by tomorrow morning and Ill set up the heater then.

Was reading the link to ebooks on brewing that Bugwan posted and The Complete Practical Brewer; Or Plain, Accurate, and Thorough Instructions in the Art of Brewing has an interesting description on malting barley. link

Anyone thinking of doing some malting, start with only a few kilos, then scale up. If you are lucky like redgums, you have access to good low protien barley. Malting barley is often downgraded to feed grade due to high protien. Have a look in the horsey feed barn, you are looking for barley that has good consistant grain sized, not a mix of shrivelled and fully filled grains. A 30kg bag is about $10, depending on the season.

When you brew with it, aim for a higher og beer, I have found that the amount of sacharides never reaches anything like commercially malted grain.

I have found an old zapap bucket great for malting, have even drilled up a few more buckets so do 8Kg at a time in three buckets.

The process is very moisture and temperature dependant. Watch out, as the barley reaches the correct point of germination, be ready to stop it, as it then takes off and is fully sprouted quickly. I have seen grain of an evening before I go to bed approaching the right point and by the next morning it is almost past it.

also very easy to get a bucket full of mouldy grain if you don't keep an eye on things.

Here's some pics of my malting setup, does about 10 kg of grain. It's improtant to dry the grain at low temp high airflow to preserve the enzymes before ramping the temp up, I kiln at 40C in this and then do further roasting in the oven after the moisture content is right down.

Some differences in my gear as steeping and germination is in warm 25-30C water.

Cheers, Andrew.

Steeping
Steeping_Tank.jpg
The germinator and kiln
The_Germinator_and_Kiln.jpg
Germination temperature control
Germination_Heater.jpg
Germinating
Germination.jpg
Kilning (withering)
Kilning.jpg

Thanks you guys

You have all given me a lot of food for thought and bound to drive the missus crackers !

cheers :chug:

Back