Anybody using this little black pump?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealK

Reaction score
So I overtightened my little brown pump and snapped the top off!
I was looking around for a slightly more powerful (but still 12v) pump and found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Powered-Hot-Water-Pump-DC-12V-Circulation-12L-M-3M-15W-Panel-Tops-15w-/400602386708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d45c35114&_uhb=1

Have any of you had any experience with these pumps? It looks ideal and is very cheap so I wouldn't be losing much by giving one a try but I thought I would see if anybody has tested one yet.

NealK said:
So I overtightened my little brown pump and snapped the top off!
I was looking around for a slightly more powerful (but still 12v) pump and found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Powered-Hot-Water-Pump-DC-12V-Circulation-12L-M-3M-15W-Panel-Tops-15w-/400602386708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d45c35114&_uhb=1

Have any of you had any experience with these pumps? It looks ideal and is very cheap so I wouldn't be losing much by giving one a try but I thought I would see if anybody has tested one yet.
Looks good Neal, you now have the opportunity to be the AHB pioneer that tests the water with one and report back on its performance :icon_cheers:

I think I've seen ppl use them on YouTube brewing videos. They look very similar to that anyway!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I've tried one. It isn't bad - a little better than the brown pump. I find it needs to be pulled apart and cleaned regularly as it has very little starting torque to overcome any stickiness left on the impeller shaft. Also I would put some silicone or whatever on the vents in the back to stop any water getting into the electronics there.

I have ordered one and will test it next week. I will probably have to change some of my plumbing but I think the little bit of extra grunt will be worth it.
Thanks for the feedback.

Good stuff NealK can't wait to hear how you go?! My HIAB-IT brown had a tumble and I have a hairline crack....

I don't have much pump experience. I broke my lbp fairly quickly (it snapped while I was trying to seal a leak!) This pump feels a little sturdier but it sounds like a very quiet engine revving, it is not running full throttle all the time. I do like it though, it is strong enough to do the job and didn't choke on the bits of grain that escaped on the first brew.

The stem coming off the top sheared off when I tried to tighten it too much.

Back