Anybody Know Of A Recipe For A Hahn Super Dry Or Equivalent?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT'S IT!!! :angry:

COME & MEET ME IN THE DAN MURPHYS CAR PARK & I'LL SHOW MY DUBBELS & TRIPELS :mellow: *jab, straight, hook* *jab jab*

:D

German beer drinkers make the angriest drunks. :icon_drunk:

I'll be swinging the Baltika #8 & Kozel Dark bottles (although not a match against a heavy chimay longneck)

hi there please help any one know the recipe???

Welcome to AHB :rolleyes:

This style of beer is pretty hard to do at home, as myself and others have said in the other thread. It's a beer easy to do in an industrial brewery, harder to do without monitoring a million variables.

What do you like about Hahn Super Dry? The flavour? Low Carbs? Both these things? That will help us be more useful rather than judgemental or damned rude like some of the responses you've gotten so far.

Cheers,
PoMo.

As Voltaire said: "I disapprove of everything you drink, but will defend to the death your right to brew it."

Well, sort of.

Actually although they come from the same brewery, Hahn Super Dry is a slight cut above Tooheys extra dry but not by much. I find that a good approximation is to use a very bland kit such as Morgans Canadian Light. Then take a fairly neutral malt like BB Pilsner and do a mini mash of 2 kilos at 68 degrees to get some body. Boil for an hour with a 2 plugs of Hallertau Mittelfruh. Use 500g of either dex, or white sugar that you have inverted with some citric acid. I sort of get a sneaky feeling that half a pack of BE2 might work instead if you want to go a bit fuller bodied.

Ferment at a cool temp, around 18, with the Morgans kit yeast. It should have 514 printed on the gold packet. This is a very high attenuating yeast - Mauri 514 - I put an Old in a comp last week and it was judged a bit too attenuated. Bugger because I was looking for dry and got dryyyyyyyy so that's what you are after. If it says 'lager yeast' on the packet don't worry, it's also a fast and furious yeast, also from Mauri and gives a reasonably clean flavour. However I find that HSD and TED don't have a particularly clean flavour compared to Euro Lagers so I wouldn't bother going to the expense of buying a liquid yeast, just use the kit.

Two days before bottling make a hop tea with another plug of Hallertau and strain into brew. This will turn out grassy at first but will mellow out after about a fortnight in the bottle. Use a heap of Polyclar so you can drink it crystal clear and nearly freezing like the serve the drys at the bar.

I'll take a bottle to the case swap and torment Chappo with it and he can do a critique as well :icon_cheers:

Good on you Bribie... for actually giving him something...

some people call them beer snobs, Ill just call them wankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back