Any Idea What Effect A Few 'maltesers' Will Have On Og?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st3v3

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have a Morgans Stockmans Draught in the fermenter at the moment. I mixed it up with an Ultra mix (something like 250g Dex, 5000g LDME, 250g Maltodextrin) and added about 150g extra Dex to the mix - to approx 22-22.5l

When I mixed it all up, there were quite a few malt clumps in the mix (the 'maltesers' in my question)

I took an OG reading, which said 1038. (pretty high ambient temp - around 28-29 deg... I know that's a bit high, but I want to see how this Morgans yeast copes while my aircon is broken)
After 3 days, it was down to 1016.
After 4 days, down to around 1013 but still a bit cloudy
After 6 days, it's still at 1013, and has cleared up significantly.

I would have expected my OG to be a bit higher than 1038
Over the past 12 months I have had very few brews go below 1010, so I'm not shocked by the 1013 FG.
If those numbers are right though, this looks like it's only hit 3.3-3.5% alc which seems low given the ingredients used.

Anyone know what effect the un-dissolved malt will have on the OG reading?

I'm loathe to throw more yeast in, as I was hoping to be able to keg this before the weekend, and it doesn't taste too bad as it is.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

If it is a significant percentage then it will throw it off obviously. If so, then try an online fermentables calculator with the weights of your ingredients to estimate the OG.

The yeast will eat the maltesers no probs.

1013 is probably finished with the addition of malto dextrine 28-29 is way too hight it might taste a bit different!!

I took an OG reading, which said 1038. (pretty high ambient temp - around 28-29 deg...

I would have expected my OG to be a bit higher than 1038

Over the past 12 months I have had very few brews go below 1010, so I'm not shocked by the 1013 FG

Anyone know what effect the un-dissolved malt will have on the OG reading?

I'm loathe to throw more yeast in, as I was hoping to be able to keg this before the weekend, and it doesn't taste too bad as it is.

Temperature effects SG. 1038@29C=1040

Should be aprox 1044 with the ingredients used, give or take a point or 2.

3 points at the finish is not a lot of difference as you say. Not a lot to be overly worried about. Just be cautious and make sure it's stable. (edit: just noticed you're kegging.....it's pretty much academic, then.)

Undisolved malt will throw the OG reading way off. 2 points already explained (temp), I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ubdisolved malt counted for another 3 or 4 points.

Why on earth would you use more yeast? Your apparant attenuation is 70.5% if you consider the OG from the ingredients used. Fairly normal mid range attenuation. Give it another 24 hrs of stable gravity, then keg away. (my rule of thumb - 2 days stable if kegging. 3 if bottling.)

28-29 is way too hight it might taste a bit different!!

Yeah, as mentioned - this was an experiment to see how things turn out at that temp. I normally use aircon to bring the temp down to around 21, but it's on the blink at the moment.

I have had success at 28deg with Ginger beer and Dark Ale in the past.

cheers

and thanks for your comments buttersd... I'll keg and carb it on the weekend and see how it goes.

Speaking of OG (slightly off-topic) why do most recipes specify an OG as well as a FG? I would have thought the FG is what mattered... Does OG have any the finished product?

I'm putting together a recipe and while my potential FG is okay for the style I'm making, the OG is outside the expected/recommended range and I'm wondering if this matters.

The difference between OG and FG will determine the alcohol content. Search the forums for the exact calculations. Like here for example...

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

Edit: added link.

Latest posts

Back