Any Good Tips For Brewing Malt Shovel 2 Row

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlover101

Reaction score
howdy aussie home brewers i was just wondering if any one had any expeirence/tips brewing malt shovel 2 row lager. :unsure:

howdy aussie home brewers i was just wondering if any one had any expeirence/tips brewing malt shovel 2 row lager. :unsure:

Personally, i'd brew it as an Ale. Get yourself a packet of US05 and if you want to incease it to standard 23L batch size, you can add 1kg of DME with some Dex.. say 200g~. A Decent low IBU quaffer. If you want it more like an English bitter, steep some crystal and do a small boil with around 20-30g~ of Goldings, fuggles (INsert your favourite english hop here etc) for around 10 minutes to bump up the IBU.

If you want todo it as a lager, i'd look into getting some top end lager yeast. Maybe Wyeast Bohemian Lager and ferment COLLLD.. 10deg~

thanks heaps fourstar :D , i'll probly do as a lager first,why so cold?? and if i was to double it should i use the 1kg dme and dextrose as u stated with the ale??

gday mate i have just put a double batch of the 2 row lager in the keg and 6 tallies. i did this one as per the instructions on teh back of the can and left in in teh fermentor 2 weeks or so and it finished up around 6%.
i brewed mine around 14 degrees or so with the yeast from under both kits. very active brew and smelt great in teh fermentor. i have only tryed one schooner out of teh keg and it was fairly smooth, will know more about the flavour tomorrow after i have a few more.
sorry thats probably not that much help

thanks heaps fourstar :D , i'll probly do as a lager first,why so cold?? and if i was to double it should i use the 1kg dme and dextrose as u stated with the ale??

The colder the ferment, the cleaner the profile. It will take a little longer to ferment out but the results are worth it if you can keep it that cold (in a fridge). If you simply double it into a 46L batch you are looking at around a 4 - 4.2% beer, Drop it back to 40L and its a 4.7-5% beer. Make you're choice ;)

go for 2 tins, 2 kg of DME and 500g of Dex.

I'd personally get yourself some better yeast than the one uner the cap too. 2 packets of Fermentis S23 will give a better profile than the stuff under the lid.

Back