Any Gluten Free Beer Recipe's?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am new to aussie homebrewer and i have had a gluten intolerance now for 8 years. Before being diagnosed I used to brew regular homebrew with about 500 long necks produced every year. Since becoming a coeliac suffer and not long ago with the introduction of sorghum malt, I have been able to convert some of my old beer recipes into gluten free recipes.

I have been able to brew an English bitter, Pilsner and an Aussie Bitter which were about 90% the same as what I brewed before i got coeliac disease. I have tried the Brewers Choice Pale Ale and the taste was not that pleasant and it was too watery with minimal to no head retention. I have been able to fix this to some degree. So I suggest using liquid sorghum malt which is now readily availabe to brew with.

Hi, I am new to aussie homebrewer and i have had a gluten intolerance now for 8 years. Before being diagnosed I used to brew regular homebrew with about 500 long necks produced every year. Since becoming a coeliac suffer and not long ago with the introduction of sorghum malt, I have been able to convert some of my old beer recipes into gluten free recipes.

I have been able to brew an English bitter, Pilsner and an Aussie Bitter which were about 90% the same as what I brewed before i got coeliac disease. I have tried the Brewers Choice Pale Ale and the taste was not that pleasant and it was too watery with minimal to no head retention. I have been able to fix this to some degree. So I suggest using liquid sorghum malt which is now readily availabe to brew with.

3 Kg Briess Sorghum Malt

60 Minute Boil with the following Hop Additions:

60 min 18 g Amarillo + 18 g Cascade
30 min 12 g Amarillo + 12 g Cascade
5 min 12 g Amarillo + 12 g Cascade

1 Whirlfloc Tablet

Use Yeast Nutrient 20 grams - it's really a big help with the yeast in GF Malts
US05 Yeast

OG 1.047
FG 1.012

4.6 %ABV
41 IBU's (funny how it doesn't taste like GF Malt)

Yell out if you want some more.

Hope this helps,
Martin

Hi Gfhomebrewer, do you mind sharing your English Bitter recipe?

3 Kg Briess Sorghum Malt

60 Minute Boil with the following Hop Additions:

60 min 18 g Amarillo + 18 g Cascade
30 min 12 g Amarillo + 12 g Cascade
5 min 12 g Amarillo + 12 g Cascade

1 Whirlfloc Tablet

Use Yeast Nutrient 20 grams - it's really a big help with the yeast in GF Malts
US05 Yeast

OG 1.047
FG 1.012

4.6 %ABV
41 IBU's (funny how it doesn't taste like GF Malt)

Yell out if you want some more.

Hope this helps,
Martin

So HBHB, how did this recipe turn out? If you had to compare it to a commerical beer, what would it be like? I made a similar recipe, but I added malted grains to mine. It is still carbonating, so I don't have input on it yet. A review of this recipe would be most helpful. I will do the same when mine finishes carbonating. My beer is a GF version of an American Pale Ale--- I used Cascade and some Perle for bittering.

Cheers,

Crystal Tinsel

Hi Gfhomebrewer, do you mind sharing your English Bitter recipe?

Brewman,

Checked out your blog. Lots of good recipes and input. If you had to describe your Centennial Ale and your Sierra Nevada Ale, how would you compare them to the actual beers in flavor, style, body and head retention? Very curious to see how everyone's recipes are translating into finished products.

I am planning on brewing an English Ale GF beer using a partial mash next. I first want to see how my Pale Ale turns out so I can start tweeking my recipe. I just did a partial mash using malted quinoa and oat along with the sorghum syrup. Had to do a partial decoction so it took me several hours to do this. I am hoping to increase the mouthfeel of my beer by using the malted grain I sprouted myself since malted specialty grains are nearly impossible to come by in the States.

Cheers,

Crystal Tinsel

Brewman,

Checked out your blog. Lots of good recipes and input. If you had to describe your Centennial Ale and your Sierra Nevada Ale, how would you compare them to the actual beers in flavor, style, body and head retention? Very curious to see how everyone's recipes are translating into finished products.

In all honesty, no idea. At a guess, I'd say they'd be like the originals, but less the malt flavour. The centennial was awesome. I've had comments like caramel and there was nothing of the sort in there. The SNPA is only five days in the fermenter, so it really hasn't taken hold.

With regards to head retention. The amarillo IPA I'm drinking now holds a head, then into lacing. S-33 seems to create beers with fantastic head retention. At a guess I'd say the gluten free maltodextrine is helping.

I'm also currently doing a test by leaving out whirlfloc, to see if it's dropping out proteins that I need to keep in there.

In all honesty, no idea. At a guess, I'd say they'd be like the originals, but less the malt flavour. The centennial was awesome. I've had comments like caramel and there was nothing of the sort in there. The SNPA is only five days in the fermenter, so it really hasn't taken hold.

With regards to head retention. The amarillo IPA I'm drinking now holds a head, then into lacing. S-33 seems to create beers with fantastic head retention. At a guess I'd say the gluten free maltodextrine is helping.

I'm also currently doing a test by leaving out whirlfloc, to see if it's dropping out proteins that I need to keep in there.

Brewman,

I also used maltodextrin in my batch of GF Quinoa Pale Ale that is in the bottling stage. My intent of using the maltodextrin was to try to improve the mouth feel and head retention. When I checked the beer just prior to carbonation and bottling it was close to a Bards in mouthfeel, but the color was lighter. I also added some peaches which did nothing but up the alcohol content. My beer was definitely "heavier" than an American commerical beer, but until it finishes carbonation, I will not know what kind of head retention I will get. I will definitely post my findings. I used gelatin finings to clarify my beer and it worked so well the bottles have sludge in the bottom. I even racked the secondary product twice to remove sediment and dry hop debris prior to bottling. I am hoping for a really clear beer if the sediment at the bottom of the bottles is any indication. I was also trying to drop out proteins at the end. I will see if this affects the end product.

Cheers,

Crystal Tinsel

Brewman,

I also used maltodextrin in my batch of GF Quinoa Pale Ale that is in the bottling stage. My intent of using the maltodextrin was to try to improve the mouth feel and head retention. When I checked the beer just prior to carbonation and bottling it was close to a Bards in mouthfeel, but the color was lighter. I also added some peaches which did nothing but up the alcohol content. My beer was definitely "heavier" than an American commerical beer, but until it finishes carbonation, I will not know what kind of head retention I will get. I will definitely post my findings. I used gelatin finings to clarify my beer and it worked so well the bottles have sludge in the bottom. I even racked the secondary product twice to remove sediment and dry hop debris prior to bottling. I am hoping for a really clear beer if the sediment at the bottom of the bottles is any indication. I was also trying to drop out proteins at the end. I will see if this affects the end product.

Cheers,

Crystal Tinsel

Yeah I tried maltodextrine in the bottling stage, really didn't see any benefit. I've moved it to the boil now so it's well mixed in. As I can't drink normal beer, it's important to get feedback from people who drink both gluten and gluten free beer. What I usually here back is, dry, sweet, cidery or mouthfeel as faults. So when I get that info back I try and modify future recipes to fix it. These days my beer is very clear and sediment in the bottles is very solid. You'll want at least 3 to 4 weeks mininum for US-05 to bottle ferment. From this time on you'll see good head retention etc.

I've ordered some american gluten free oats from another city nearby. Supposedly 4 out of 5 Celiacs can hack it. So if I'm lucky enough to be one of the four in testing, I'll be trying to make a gluten free porter soon.

Since starting brewing earlier this year, I've done about 18 gluten free batches. Hoping to trial malting grains etc next year.

So HBHB, how did this recipe turn out? If you had to compare it to a commerical beer, what would it be like? I made a similar recipe, but I added malted grains to mine. It is still carbonating, so I don't have input on it yet. A review of this recipe would be most helpful. I will do the same when mine finishes carbonating. My beer is a GF version of an American Pale Ale--- I used Cascade and some Perle for bittering.

Cheers,

Crystal Tinsel

It comes up just fine. I built this one up for a mate who was a fan of the hops combination from his pre-diagnosis drinking days and he loves it.

As is often typical with Sorghum Malt base, the head doesn't tend to hold very well.

If i was making it for myself, i'd be doing a 20gram dry hop of each at about day 4 or 5.

The bitterness & flavour of the hops tends to balance out that all too common sweatness that comes through from the Sorghum.

Hope this helps,
Martin

spaced said:
Keep all the Gluten Free brewing gear separate, don't risk cross contamination.
Is this really necessary ?

I was going to make a small-batch extract version for the outlaws (one of which needs GF).
But this means I'd need to buy a new fermenter.

Also my "big" pot is used to boil spaghetti ... is going through the dishwasher a good enough clean ?

thanks,
-kt

What do people use for a bit of colour and flavour in these GF beers? I tries rice malt syrup once and that did SFA the beer still turned out a super pale straw colour and the flavour impact was zero. I find that using the sorghum syrup limits you quite a lot to either pale ales or IPAs. I'm not sure how you would use the Briess product to make a malty British beer such as an ESB (as mentioned above), I just don't buy it to be honest. Unless people are toasting their own sorghum malt, but unfortunately for my gluten intolerant friend that is a stretch to far for me.

Mr Wibble said:
Is this really necessary ?

I was going to make a small-batch extract version for the outlaws (one of which needs GF).
But this means I'd need to buy a new fermenter.

Also my "big" pot is used to boil spaghetti ... is going through the dishwasher a good enough clean ?
I've been thinking about this last night (SWMBO would say "stewing") ...

So I couldn't re-use a beer keg?
I'd have to buy new bottles ?
Spoons, Tubes, mash paddles?

Say I did AG, how does the LHBS "clean" its mill out ?

Geeze, it'\s all getting really hard.

I made some gluten free beer recently to give to some gluten free mates (note: they are gluten intolerant not coeliac).

Just bought wln4000 (white labs clarity ferm) and chucked it in a normal batch. Makes the gluten level below 20ppm and was well received by mates.

I noticed that it cleared up a lot quicker than normal beers however it took a little extra time to dissipate this taste it had. Was a decent beer.

Sitting in a pathology wait room as I type this to take a celiac test. Cross your fingers for me guys! If I AM celiac, I'll try the clarity ferm stuff, but if it doesn't work for me (20ppm is "gluten free" but still too high for some celiacs), I'll join the sorghum mob.
Ekul, after the "taste" of the clarity ferm dissipated, was there any perceivable difference in your beer? Head retention? Hop flavour? What style of beer was it?

Back