Any Fix For Delaminated Pot Base

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kymba

what?
Reaction score
The base of my 98L pot has started to delaminte. Scared the jesus out of me when one side of the pot suddenly listed with 50L of boiling wort in there. I also imagine this gap is making my kettle seriously inefficient

Do i get it welded / brazed back up or try to fully separate it? I imagine it would be dangerous to fully seal it as there is a possibility of creating an air pocket between the base and the pot?

20120422_152739__Medium_.jpg 20120422_152759__Medium_.jpg

The base of my 98L pot has started to delaminte. Scared the jesus out of me when one side of the pot suddenly listed with 50L of boiling wort in there. I also imagine this gap is making my kettle seriously inefficient

Do i get it welded / brazed back up or try to fully separate it? I imagine it would be dangerous to fully seal it as there is a possibility of creating an air pocket between the base and the pot?

View attachment 54204 View attachment 54205

shit, i cant help sorry, but am curious as to what brand the pot was and how long you've been using for ?

shit, i cant help sorry, but am curious as to what brand the pot was and how long you've been using for ?

+1
Would it be covered by the supplier?

As far as what to do I'm not sure.
If you separate it, then you risk the bottom warping cause it probably too thin for the heating externally. Probably be ok for internal electric elements.
If you try and rejoin it, air trapped causing issues, and also will the remainder keep coming apart?
You could try and desperate the lot, and then re-glue it to the pot. I'm sure there will be a metallic glue that would handle the heat.

QldKev

My first Robinox 98L formed a blister on the base on my first use. Robinox sent out a replacement with return pickup on the previous version.

If its a Robinox I would consider contacting the supplier for a fix

edit: just saw your ballvalve... guess a warranty fix is out of the question then :(

My first Robinox 98L formed a blister on the base on my first use. Robinox sent out a replacement with return pickup on the previous version.

If its a Robinox I would consider contacting the supplier for a fix

edit: just saw your ballvalve... guess a warranty fix is out of the question then :(

Why should the ball valve cause the warranty to be voided? I though to void the warranty they would need to prove that the modification was a direct cause for the issue. I could be wrong :(

QldKev

The ballvalve shouldn't void the warranty as the problem is clearly not caused by the mofification.

edit: Too slow.

Drill some holes in the 1st layer with a zero angle drill bit and get it TIG welded back together. Leave 2 or 3 unwelded to allow for air escape.

This is of course if you can't get another via warranty claim.

It's not a robinox, and i'm not sure about the warranty, got it from ebay (dnss_hospitality) in december 2010 and looks similar to the handy import ones. I have contacted the seller to see what they say, but i'm not holding my breath

Converting to electric is not really an option at the moment, although i guess i could turn it into a mash tun

hey great idea vanoontour, could stitch weld it on too to get the same effect

You got it kymba. Stitch weld around the base to let air excape, presuming both parts are stainless.

Back