Any civil engineers here?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarniwoop

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm considering retraining from my current engineering field and moving into civil. I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask so If there are any civil engineers here who wouldn't mind chatting off line send me a pm.

Cheers

Iain

Iain.

I'm not an engineer, but have worked in a HR role in engineering consultancies for a while now. Happy for you to PM me if you think might help.

zarniwoop said:
Hi All,

I'm considering retraining from my current engineering field and moving into civil. I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask so If there are any civil engineers here who wouldn't mind chatting off line send me a pm.

Cheers

Iain
You dont like getting home on time? Dealing with ever changing goal posts?

This is the field for you :lol:

You going structural or actual civil?

(Engineering Draftsman / 3D Structural Model Manager)

Yob said:
You dont like getting home on time? Dealing with ever changing goal posts?

This is the field for you :lol:

You going structural or actual civil?

(Engineering Draftsman / 3D Structural Model Manager)
Ah so situation normal for engineering :D

I'd prefer civil over structural but given i'll be in my 40s by the time I'm ready to switch I can't be too choosey.

Civil you will be forever stuck between council and asshole clients.
Structural you design it, it gets built. Done.

Ha! If only that were the case, so many (large commercial) projects are so fast tracked we are forever redesigning structure to accommodate fluid architectural design, it's ******* endless.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I couldnt go from tradesman to civil engineer....I swear to much.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just did a recent switch from web designer to builder.
My vocabulary has dropped 500%.

If you want to go to the dark side of Civil Engineering become a Geotechnical Engineer - thats where the voodoos at...

Jaded and Bitter said:
If you want to go to the dark side of Civil Engineering become a Geotechnical Engineer - thats where the voodoos at...
So true. Only geotech reports can replace shall with should/probably/may and get away with it. Black magic.

Recent RMIT graduate here. Feel free to ask me as well.

Also, on that note. Anyone looking to employ a graduate Civil/Structural Engineer?

Yob. LoL at "fluid design". That's what happens when there's a **** up.

It's bloody rare that a tender package ends up looking like as builts, reo plans need to change with floor profiles,set downs facades etc, then there are the builders who just want to do it their way,

I once got given a revised floor profile from architects the day after the floor was poured.. That was an interesting phone call..

Coming up on 20yrs as a civil engineer, working for myself & as an employee of various consultants from fair to middling to muddling ;)
Keep a hold of that swear vocab, if you have to work with architects it comes in handy.
Feel free to pm me if you like.
g

gaijin said:
So true. Only geotech reports can replace shall with should/probably/may and get away with it. Black magic.
Based on our assessment of the encountered subsurface conditions during our investigation, we consider it likely... :p

It really comes down to what you want to build and where. Then we have to try and figure out how the fractured/faulted/weakly cemented, nonlinear/elasto/plastic materials around/beneath/near will behave.

Edit - deleted minor rant

Latest posts

Back