• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Antique Brewing System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toranarob

Reaction score
G'day all. We are cleaning Dad's old shed and found his very old soft drink brewing machines.
I cannot find out much information on them as they are probably far too old!
There are 4 pieces plus lots of spare "bits".
Manufactured by "Mauri Bros. & Thomson" approx. 1930 in Sydney.
Everything is very heavy and made with hand forged iron. The working parts are mainly brass and copper.
It appears to me that all moving parts are free and well oiled.
We reckon there is large copper compressor thingo, a bottle filler and topper, a bottle washer and a complicated looking air compressor/aerator ???
My wife rembers her Dad buying the machines secondhand from an old pub at Tenterfied 50 years ago (they were very old then) , and then he used them for making squash, lemonade and cola etc. at their own pub in Glen Innis until it was sold in the 70's.
The gear was stored in the shed here 40 years ago.
Wonder what it is all worth? Either as a restoration, a rebourn worker, or scrap metal (NOT)!
We are in Northern Rivers region NSW.
email [email protected]
Thanks for any expert assistance we can get here.

G'day all. We are cleaning Dad's old shed and found his very old soft drink brewing machines.
Everything is very heavy and made with hand forged iron. The working parts are mainly brass and copper.
We reckon there is large copper compressor thingo, a bottle filler and topper, a bottle washer and a complicated looking air compressor/aerator ???
My wife rembers her Dad buying the machines secondhand from an old pub at Tenterfied 50 years ago (they were very old then) , and then he used them for making squash, lemonade and cola etc. at their own pub in Glen Innis until it was sold in the 70's.
Wonder what it is all worth? Either as a restoration, a rebourn worker, or scrap metal (NOT)!
email [email protected]

Some pics might help!

Interesting find. Any pictures to help us understand what it is?

Mauri Bros. & Thomson was aquisitioned in 1982 by Burns, Philp & Company.

might be a long shot, but contacting them might yeild some results on original specifications. http://www.burnsphilp.com/Default.htm

would be great to have, just sitting all restored and polished as a centre piece in a bar i reckon

email [email protected]

Take some good quality pictures and contact the Restorer's Barn in Castelamine, VIC.

http://www.restorersbarn.com.au/

Interesting find. Any pictures to help us understand what it is?

Hello again everyone. We are surprised to see how much help and interest there is.
We have just taken some rough pictures and will attempt to post them now.
Thanks again for all your kind help.
By the way...we also found a set of beautiful hotel windows. Stained glass, leadlight B A R enscripted on top! Beautiful.
A host of old beer taps and brass keg spigots.

1.jpg

12.jpg

5.jpg

13.jpg

By the way...we also found a set of beautiful hotel windows. Stained glass, leadlight B A R enscripted on top! Beautiful.
These are desirable items to us home brewing folk!
Photos of these too and I think you'll be inundated with offers from folks here.

Hello again everyone. We are surprised to see how much help and interest there is.
We have just taken some rough pictures and will attempt to post them now.
Thanks again for all your kind help.

The thing in the top photo (middle with foot pedal) is a old bottle filler, dunno about the rest.

Amazing machinery. Thanks for sharing.

Great to see the machinery and the old name plates. Try talking to the Dubbo musuem, they may have some leads

Cheers

5 eyes

Great to see the machinery and the old name plates. Try talking to the Dubbo musuem, they may have some leads

Cheers

5 eyes

We really need to sell all this stuff! The machines, BAR leadlight windows, ancient brass keg spigots, bottle nip fillers from the fifties, old beer taps and temprites, bar jugs and glasses and heaps more . Can anyone-one come to the shed and take the lot at a fair price? Or should we ebay it all?
The latter does not tempt us at all!
Only got a couple of weeks to do it, so any help to move it all would be good. We are in Ballina NSW.
Thanks brewers. Rob

Rob, i've sent you a pm.

cheers Ross

Rob, i've sent you a pm.

cheers Ross

Howdy Ross. No idea what the machinery is worth mate. Some say $10.000 others say 2,000!!!
We are not in the industry. Nor have much of an interest (other than the drinking).
Albeit, we do have a reasonable idea of what the complete timber framed BAR leadlight windows C 1920 are worth (if you could find them!).
We reckon at least $1500.
The very old bottles, bar equipment, brass spigots and taps, nip measure dispeners, glassware,decanteurs etc. from the same era is anyones guess. We have also discovered some old FULL whisky bottles!
There are some pretty interesting items here...eg a complete with all labels (but empty) "Bouteille du Couple".
And much more.
We are looking for reasonable offers and wish our dad's stuff a nice home...regardless of of dollars.
Thanks for your kind interest everyone.

Howdy Ross. No idea what the machinery is worth mate. Some say $10.000 others say 2,000!!!
We are not in the industry. Nor have much of an interest (other than the drinking).
Albeit, we do have a reasonable idea of what the complete timber framed BAR leadlight windows C 1920 are worth (if you could find them!).
We reckon at least $1500.
The very old bottles, bar equipment, brass spigots and taps, nip measure dispeners, glassware,decanteurs etc. from the same era is anyones guess. We have also discovered some old FULL whisky bottles!
There are some pretty interesting items here...eg a complete with all labels (but empty) "Bouteille du Couple".
And much more.
We are looking for reasonable offers and wish our dad's stuff a nice home...regardless of of dollars.
Thanks for your kind interest everyone.

No disrpepect intended.
It appears as though you joined the forum just to flog your dear old dads stuff. Folks who have been around here a while may be skeptical.
Sorry but I am getting some mixed signals here. We want to get rid of it in the next couple of weeks, vs It's too much trouble to post full details and pictures, just come and look at it. We want it to go to a good home regardless of the dollar value, vs we reckon the windows are worth a heap (which I am not disputing). It may end up being a bargain of the century for an enthusiast who will cherish it. More photos of everything may help somone decide if they will go and look at it or if their speculative ideas may be unfounded.

just buy it all ross :p you know you want to haha.

sounds like he had a bit of a stash there. If you could take pics of stuff I am sure people will be flooding you with emails

PLEASE add more photos and as specificly itised as you can, sure this will help, even just photos will aid people in identying what you have, the time scale you have may well be a limitation for many also.. brewers are a busy bunce of time poor people in general.. as Im in melbourne (and just buying a man-cave) im personally not able to be of help in purchasing, but even if I had the throw away cash to do it I would certainly need more info than currently provided..

Cheers

PLEASE add more photos and as specificly itised as you can, sure this will help, even just photos will aid people in identying what you have, the time scale you have may well be a limitation for many also.. brewers are a busy bunce of time poor people in general.. as Im in melbourne (and just buying a man-cave) im personally not able to be of help in purchasing, but even if I had the throw away cash to do it I would certainly need more info than currently provided..

Cheers

Unfortunately we have had to resort to ebay!
Bugga!
For anyone here interested in the B A R leadlight windows, they were listed last night.
Look for "Antique leadlight B A R windows"
Still have all the other stuff available at this stage.
Thanks again to you all for your advice. Rob

No disrpepect intended.
It appears as though you joined the forum just to flog your dear old dads stuff. Folks who have been around here a while may be skeptical.
Sorry but I am getting some mixed signals here. We want to get rid of it in the next couple of weeks, vs It's too much trouble to post full details and pictures, just come and look at it. We want it to go to a good home regardless of the dollar value, vs we reckon the windows are worth a heap (which I am not disputing). It may end up being a bargain of the century for an enthusiast who will cherish it. More photos of everything may help somone decide if they will go and look at it or if their speculative ideas may be unfounded.

Hello.
You are perfectly correct! We joined to sell Dad's stuff. Thought it may be a useful forum to you all. Just in case you wanted it.
We were completely open and direct with our comments. Avoiding "mixed signals" we thought.
But, we are in other forums also and understand that there will always be a know-all smarty. It appears that there is also one here!
You have conveniently driven us away from this excellent site...and co-incidentally missed out on some really nice "stuff".Cheap!!!
Well done. No disrespect intended.

Latest posts

Back