Ant In My Starter : )

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mongo said:
Stephen - would this inhibit the yeast growth at all? I take it this happened recently - I'd like to hear how it turns out.

update from ant starter: beer seems to be going along fine at the moment. no off smells from the fermenter, and the starter tasted fine.
[post="108373"][/post]​
Mongo

Bubbling along nicely as I type. The aroma out of the airlock is as it should be with no funny hints. My estimate of the amount of betadine in the brew is about 1.5 ml: I use 2.5 ml/liter as a sanitiser and had about 600 ml left that subsequently ended up in the brew.

Watch this space for the tasting.

Steve

Good job stephen. But i would doubt 1.5 mls of betadine in a batch of beer would ever be noticble let alone detrimental to yeast.

OH yeahi only had a little chuckle

:beer:
Richard

stephen said:
I use 2.5 ml/liter as a sanitiser a

Steve

[post="108441"][/post]​

gday steve,

is this a suitable alternative to Iodophor ?

if so, do you treat it the same ? ( no rinse ).

cheers

ruserious

mongo said:
update from ant starter: beer seems to be going along fine at the moment. no off smells from the fermenter, and the starter tasted fine.
[post="108373"][/post]​

Bit of an anticlimax really.

Actually i did munch into a little ant in my cerael one morning and i can say they are not very tasty.

ruserious said:
stephen said:
I use 2.5 ml/liter as a sanitiser a

Steve

[post="108441"][/post]​

gday steve,

is this a suitable alternative to Iodophor ?

if so, do you treat it the same ? ( no rinse ).

cheers

ruserious
[post="108474"][/post]​

before this slips under the radar, does anyone else use this as a substitute for Iodophor ?

thanks

ruserious

jsut a quick update on the "Antz Pantz" beer. Slightly ominous...
took a sample and it is about 1015. The beer itself tastes quite nice and mild, but there is a noticeable sulphury smell coming from the fermenting wort. it's quite strong from the fermenter, and noticeable when tasting it.
It still has a bit of fermenting to do yet, and the sample had a lot of yeast, but I can't remember my other brews smelling of sulphur.
I am using Forbidden Fruit yeast, which has a "phenolic" profile. Does this include a sulphury smell?

[/quote]

before this slips under the radar, does anyone else use this as a substitute for Iodophor ?

thanks

ruserious
[post="108517"][/post]​
[/quote]

Yep, me. I do always rinse though (even when I use another no-rinse sanitiser) If its good enough to be painted onto the skin before surgery it is good enough to sterilise a fermenter

thanks

ruserious
[post="108517"][/post]​
[/quote]

Yep, me. I do always rinse though (even when I use another no-rinse sanitiser) If its good enough to be painted onto the skin before surgery it is good enough to sterilise a fermenter
[post="108530"][/post]​
[/quote]

good onya Darren, thanks for that, i appreciate it, bit hard to get a straight answer sometimes.

thanks again

ruserious

recharge said:
Good job stephen. But i would doubt 1.5 mls of betadine in a batch of beer would ever be noticble let alone detrimental to yeast.

OH yeahi only had a little chuckle

Richard
[post="108470"][/post]​
I heard that chuckle!!!

ruserious said:
what ratio do you use Darren ?

cheers

ruserious
[post="108603"][/post]​
Ruserious

From Pint of Lager's post back in January sometime:

Otherwise, buy Betadine from the chemist. Check around for the 500ml bottle, $19,95 last time I bought one, contains 10% w/v povidone iodine, dilute at the rate of 2.5ml per litre, contact time 10 minutes for 99.9% kill rate (from George Fix, Analysis of Brewing Techniques")

I bought the 100ml bottle for about $12.50 but it's called Riodine and yes it is a no rinse sanitiser.

Cheers

Steve

peas_and_korn said:
people drank one of your starters?? how drunk were they?
[post="108368"][/post]​

The guy who drank it was a friend's brother over from NZ. As the stubby had foil on it, I'd say pretty drunk. It gets worse though. That same night, they went out but he ran off. He woke up next morning in Gold Coast Hospital and apparently later, when he got home, found 3M stickers on his chest which they use for ECG's. Getting an ECG when you're only 20 is a little young and he doesn't remember a thing!

This emoticon is a striking resemblance to him drinking the starter... :chug:

Just finished bottling last of brew down to sediment...whats that black thing coming through...???? A fly been brewing happily away....
All the brew gone now... Just a bit more body in it.. :)
cheers
PJ

stephen said:
ruserious said:
what ratio do you use Darren ?

cheers

ruserious
[post="108603"][/post]​
Ruserious

From Pint of Lager's post back in January sometime:

Otherwise, buy Betadine from the chemist. Check around for the 500ml bottle, $19,95 last time I bought one, contains 10% w/v povidone iodine, dilute at the rate of 2.5ml per litre, contact time 10 minutes for 99.9% kill rate (from George Fix, Analysis of Brewing Techniques")

I bought the 100ml bottle for about $12.50 but it's called Riodine and yes it is a no rinse sanitiser.

Cheers

Steve
[post="108610"][/post]​

thanks Stephen, much appreciated.

ruserious

Back