Another 'noob' for the forums

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuseo

Reaction score
Fellow brewers,

I look forward to asking many of you for assistance and obviously giving back to the community were possible.

Currently I am brewing Coopers can Mexican Cerveza and bottled the weekend just past, this is my first attempt in glass bottles with my shiny new capping tool as well. It has all gone quite swimmingly thus far so cant wait for new years to crack open one! FG was right on 1010 so happy with that. Had it in the tub for like 5 weeks before the transfer. Tasted great before bottling so again, fingers crossed. It is only my second brew I made. The first was defintely far from a disaster for me (Coopers can LAGER). It was very fresh and nearly every bottle was a good one. Head kept well throughout the drink and had a nice lingering aftertaste.

So for me my home brew experiences so far have been great which I think is great considering I am easily deterred from faied DIY anything really :)

Thanks for reading

Troy

aka fuseo

Welcome Troy aka fuseo, that mexican kit will go down nice on a hot new years eve........by next new year you'll be brewing all grain with american hops and liquid mexican yeast......be prepared.

I'm a DIY disaster zone. Yet can make fantastic beer and even develop an all grain brewery that works around my inability to weld, fix, anything really.

The sky's the limit for you.

I think the thing with brewing is, when the disaster comes, you want to know why. Nothing else quite gives me that.

If you'd like little improvements, try some yeast not under the lid (like US 05), make sure you brew whatever you're doing at about 18-20 degrees and if you feel like it, a hop tea from hop pellets.

Replace any sugar with dried malt extract of equivalent weight (and according to the variety of beer you're brewing) and you're away.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I'm a DIY disaster zone. Yet can make fantastic beer and even develop an all grain brewery that works around my inability to weld, fix, anything really.

The sky's the limit for you.

I think the thing with brewing is, when the disaster comes, you want to know why. Nothing else quite gives me that.

If you'd like little improvements, try some yeast not under the lid (like US 05), make sure you brew whatever you're doing at about 18-20 degrees and if you feel like it, a hop tea from hop pellets.

Replace any sugar with dried malt extract of equivalent weight (and according to the variety of beer you're brewing) and you're away.
Well I am about to get some more bottle as I only one box (28) and start another batch so I will take your advice however I have some questions...

So the 'sugar' I have used in both can kits is the 'brew enhancer' type (it was #1 in the lager and then #2 in the cerveza) so I assume you mean this?

Then if I was to make this adjustment what else would be required?

BE1 and BE2 as they are affectionately known are a proprietary blend of sugar (as in dextrose) and dried malts.

You can replace these with just straight dried malts (and possibly save a few bob).

Your process would otherwise be much the same WRE to extra malts.

Hops are another matter, but again, it depends on how far you want to go with this.

If you can replace the bulk of your sugar with Light Dry Malt that will be a big step in quality.
I found with most kits 500gm to 1 kilo LDM and 250-500gm dex worked well. The LDM will give your beer more malt depth and the dex will help with boosting alcohol.
Rule of thumb I used was, light beers...lagers, pilsener, cerveza....500gm. LDM 500gm Dextrose....darker beers, ales, IPA, stout....1kg LDM and 250gm Dextrose.
If you cant get LDM on its own stick with BE2, 50% dex, 25% LDM 25% Maltodextrin(adds body but nothing else).to your desired strength.
Get a copy of Ian's spreadshhet for kit and extracts...do a search...its a great tool for seeing what your additions bring to your brew.

Yes, def get some better yeast, US-05 is standard, BRY-97 is a newer kid on the block(West Coast US Ale and is not bad). Keep it at 18-20c for best results.

Thanks guys! Looks like great advice! Will report back with results.

And will search for that spreadsheet now :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back