Another Kegging (for a beginner) Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's huge, that's more than enough to get a future proof setup!

I don't have to count the bottles, I leave that to the wife, good job I don't leave all of them where she can count them, that will be giving her to much ammunition.
Shikitar why don't you try a cube to start off with, I always try and keep 10 litres in a cube, I bottled 10 litres to day and put 10 in a cube (priming a cube use 1/2 of what you would use in a bottle) it is easy and a good way to start. I have kegs from 5 to 20 litre but only use them on family occasions.
View attachment 111983

Hi where is a good place to get 10 lt. cubes in Melb?

Hey guys, just a quick update as I received all my parts etc., after having decided to do a conversion on one of my fridges. It's a squeeze but I can just fit three kegs (in a triangle arrangement) into this fridge, originally I wanted four but I think even from a drinking perspective that was a bit ambitious for me (weekend drinker only).

Anyway, I got my three SS Intertaps into the door, looks very pretty, that was relatively easy compared to trying to get 4mm ID line onto barbs - so far not overly successful! I have tried hot water, which sometimes works but it mangles itself a bit or I can't get it all the way over. Then I bought some stepless clamps, obviously the wrong size because I can't get them over the barb part either.. I'm a bit frustrated with it, took me about 30 minutes to get the taps installed, followed by four hours of fk'ing around with line and barbs to end up with maybe three passable fittings done.

Anyone got any pro tips?? It seems like as soon as I pull the line out of the hot water and stretch it a bit it cools and shrinks almost immediately.. I should have got maybe 5mm or 6mm ID line instead but wanted the benefits of 4mm..

You will get the 4mm ID onto the barb tail of the tap shank but the chances of getting it onto a barbed disconnect are next to none

You will need mfl disconnects and a push in fitting such as l
John guest.

Share a pic of your conversion so far

Well I managed to get my 4mm lines on last night, I got a hold of some needle-nose pliers and along with some hot water this made it all a lot easier! I do think I need to get some push-in fittings though, I can see a need to disconnect and reconnect the CO2 and gas manifold at least on a semi-regular basis..

Will take some photos soon, just gotta build a shelf in the fridge now! It's very close, albeit a very simple setup..

This might be a silly question but do I need to clean/sanitise the gas lines or just run with a she'll be right approach..

Well I managed to get my 4mm lines on last night, I got a hold of some needle-nose pliers and along with some hot water this made it all a lot easier! I do think I need to get some push-in fittings though, I can see a need to disconnect and reconnect the CO2 and gas manifold at least on a semi-regular basis..

Will take some photos soon, just gotta build a shelf in the fridge now! It's very close, albeit a very simple setup..

This might be a silly question but do I need to clean/sanitise the gas lines or just run with a she'll be right approach..
I have never cleaned and sanitised gas lines. I'm sure that it wouldn't hurt tho. I can unscrew my disconnects for easy cleaning. I would purge the oxygen from the gas lines before you use them.

I've never cleaned gas lines either, or disconnected and reconnected them regularly. Occasionally I've taken the gas lines off the disconnects for a couple of reasons but otherwise they just stay on. The gas manifold never gets disconnected. When the gas bottle needs replacing I just remove the regulator, go swap the empty for a full one and put the regulator back on.

As for purging lines before use, I didn't think of that when I started but I suppose I did it by default anyway because I used the gas to push cleaner and rinse water out of the kegs and through the lines and taps before I filled any with beer.

Latest posts

Back