Another Co2 Question...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somebloke

Reaction score
G'day all,

My Wfire bought me a Coopers Homebrew kit about 3yrs ago & it sat in my shed until a few months ago (I'm putting my 4th Brew through as I type). I never know how awesomely incredible it is to brew your own Beer.

I'm getting tired of bottling & am in the middle of setting up a Keg Fridge (I've got a 50L CUB, the Coupler & Regulator.) It'll fit in the fridge but am thinking then I'd only have one brew. I'm looking for a cheap couple of the 19L ones, so I can have 2-3 on the go at once.

My main ?? is though (yes I've done a search but couldn't find the answer). The cost of a CO2 bottle is a bit pricey for me (everything is being done as cheaply as possible = Student), is there something else that could be used? Could I use a LPG Bottle (I have 3)? Is there something else that I could use?

Cheers,

Dave

you can use CO2 fire extinguisher some the regulators will fit and some you need to buy adapters. But price wise if you buy a new one it is better to get a proper tank. I rent my bottle from BOC its about $12 a month and I have had the cylinder for about 18 months now without refilling it (9kg bottle). Not sure the charge to refill it?? $30 or something I think. If you cannot afford to buy one outright then this is a good option. I prob been threw almost a keg a week on that tank so its lasted well, I think it may be about empty the high pressure needle is right down but not sure if that means anything?

What ever you get it will have to have a testing tag on it (or be in a curtain date) if it hasnt it will have to be tested price not sure? No one will fill or test a LPG bottle so thats not a option.

:icon_offtopic: KG, once the needle starts dropping on the high pressure side it means it's on it's last legs. Once all the liquefied gas is gone is when the needle starts dropping, so you only have gas in there. Time to top up soon. From memory I got about 4 kegs gassed and served once mine started dropping. Before I swapped it over I pulled the prv and there was sweet FA in there

I get about 8 kegs from a 2.3kg bottle, possibly more. That's force carbing, but not transfering or force filtering.

Dude u want to contaminate ur beer with LPG?
U can rent a 22kg bottle from boc for about $30 a year. $70 to fill/swap and lasts me about 2 years. I run 10 kegs. Cheaper up front but more expensive in the longrun.

If I just hook up my 2.6 kg bottle at like 10 psi and leave it. How many kegs should I get out of it. Someone said about 7-8 someone else said 25. cheers

not sure never worked out how much I use per keg. I would say 8 sounds realistic but mines 9kg not 2.6kg.

Edit: cheers PW thought it may be the case or thought it may of been coz its been cool the last few days. Well blew the keg last night and only just done a brew today (havnt brewed for 6 weeks, damn work stuffing me around) so will get it changed threw the week when I am waiting for the next brews to ferment. nothing worse them going to carb it up and run out after being 10 days or so off the HB lol

I hope you get more than 8 kegs out of a 9kg tank. 9Kg = a US 20LB. I've had 5 kegs through and the needle hasn't moved. I don't completely force carb... I call it rapid carb. It takes 3-4 days vs a week. I can bottle from the tap before it carbs up too much.

no 8 kegs for 2.6kg as he asked. Just said I have 9kg but never added it up what I get

My main ?? is though (yes I've done a search but couldn't find the answer). The cost of a CO2 bottle is a bit pricey for me (everything is being done as cheaply as possible = Student), is there something else that could be used? Could I use a LPG Bottle (I have 3)? Is there something else that I could use?
Cheers,

Dave
You could carb naturally then use a soda stream bottle or keg charger to dispense the beer. Nevertheless, it is cheaper in the long run to have a decent gas bottle.

If I just hook up my 2.6 kg bottle at like 10 psi and leave it. How many kegs should I get out of it. Someone said about 7-8 someone else said 25. cheers

I have a 2.6kg and would about 19-20 kegs. Check out Qldkev's website, he has a decent calc on there which will give you a decent guestimate

Cheers for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Hehe & no, I wasn't going to contaminate the beer with LPG, I was only thinking of using the bottle as a vessel for CO2. But, alas it appears Fire extinguisher is the only other solution. Last year my old man gave me 2x 1kg extinguishers for Xmas, are they OK straight off the truck, or do I need to drain them & fill with CO2?

Cheers for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Hehe & no, I wasn't going to contaminate the beer with LPG, I was only thinking of using the bottle as a vessel for CO2. But, alas it appears Fire extinguisher is the only other solution. Last year my old man gave me 2x 1kg extinguishers for Xmas, are they OK straight off the truck, or do I need to drain them & fill with CO2?

They need a valid safety stamp/tag I believe for the vendor to refill

Let me get this clear, you want to drain and fill the LPG tank aud use it for C02? May i provide another option for this. Forget doing that and buy a C02 bottle outright. Less than $200 to the front door for a kegking one, full of C02. Just hold off on the kegs till you have the right equipment.

they need to be CO2 extinguishers as well. Anything you use has to be certified to be used as a CO2 cylinder

Can you even use an LPG tank for C02? Isn't C02 at a much higher pressure rating and needs stronger tanks? Is it even legal? From what i'm thinking wouldn't the LPG suffer failure if filled and operated @ C02 pressure levels? This is falling into the part of my brain saying it's just a bad idea.

no you cant use a lpg tank as a co2 tank as no one will refill the tank unless its been tested and certified to be used for C02 and the cost of that no doubt would be dearer then a new tank. well you can if you become a co2 refiller and buy a refill tank. but then it would cost so much more for the tank to refill it and then you would just use that as a tank. So in one word NO! lol

Can you even use an LPG tank for C02? Isn't C02 at a much higher pressure rating and needs stronger tanks? Is it even legal? From what i'm thinking wouldn't the LPG suffer failure if filled and operated @ C02 pressure levels? This is falling into the part of my brain saying it's just a bad idea.

LPG is liquid at 319 psi
CO2 is liquid at 870 psi

Try and put 870psi into a tank designed for 319psi and bang, all over red rover.

LPG is liquid at 319 psi
CO2 is liquid at 870 psi

Try and put 870psi into a tank designed for 319psi and bang, all over red rover.

That's what i thought. The only way to do this one safely, is using a C02 tank. Hold off on the kegging gear, and keep your life!

Dude u want to contaminate ur beer with LPG?
U can rent a 22kg bottle from boc for about $30 a year. $70 to fill/swap and lasts me about 2 years. I run 10 kegs. Cheaper up front but more expensive in the longrun.

WTF!
I rent a VT cylinder from BOC & it costs me just over $150.00 per year. I don't think it holds 22kg gas.
Either you are getting the deal of the decade or I'm getting ripped the hell off. :angry:

Back