Another Co2 Question...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP - another option is to naturally carb your kegs and then use a portable mini CO2 charger to keep your kegs topped up.

WTF!
I rent a VT cylinder from BOC & it costs me just over $150.00 per year. I don't think it holds 22kg gas.
Either you are getting the deal of the decade or I'm getting ripped the hell off. :angry:

you can buy a bottle for $180

WTF!
I rent a VT cylinder from BOC & it costs me just over $150.00 per year. I don't think it holds 22kg gas.
Either you are getting the deal of the decade or I'm getting ripped the hell off. :angry:

The reason 22kg bottles (f size) are so cheap to rent is because not many people have the room to store them or can be bothered lugging something round that big. They are massive! Not sure about other states but with my lhbs cm2 is on the money with that price. Certainly does seem a rip off to rent a 9kg bottle.

hmm might see if I can swap my 9kg for a 22kg. I pay about $12 a month so if its cheaper to rent a 22kg then why not? you pay less per month then you dont have to refill it as much. means I will only have to fill it about every 3 years lol

The reason 22kg bottles (f size) are so cheap to rent is because not many people have the room to store them or can be bothered lugging something round that big. They are massive! Not sure about other states but with my lhbs cm2 is on the money with that price. Certainly does seem a rip off to rent a 9kg bottle.

I don't even have a local home brew shop, just a tobacconist that sells home brew gear & he knows absolute zero about anything All Grain & frankly, he's not one bit interested. I get everything online.

hmm might see if I can swap my 9kg for a 22kg. I pay about $12 a month so if its cheaper to rent a 22kg then why not? you pay less per month then you dont have to refill it as much. means I will only have to fill it about every 3 years lol

I pay about $15.00 per month for mine & I might look into one of those F size bottles.

I don't even have a local home brew shop, just a tobacconist that sells home brew gear & he knows absolute zero about anything All Grain & frankly, he's not one bit interested. I get everything online.

I pay about $15.00 per month for mine & I might look into one of those F size bottles.

how about a soda carbonator pump?...no tank, nothing to refill, like they have at many fast food places.

You can find a used one for around $150-$200 maybe cheaper.

im renting a 22 kg botttle from supa gas and it costs me $48 a quarter. its 50ish to fill but last the best part of a year.

Cheers for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Hehe & no, I wasn't going to contaminate the beer with LPG, I was only thinking of using the bottle as a vessel for CO2. But, alas it appears Fire extinguisher is the only other solution. Last year my old man gave me 2x 1kg extinguishers for Xmas, are they OK straight off the truck, or do I need to drain them & fill with CO2?

if the extinguishers are CO2 extinguishers .. then they are fine to use "straight off the truck".

If they aren't CO2 extinguishers, no one will fill them with CO2 anyway.

im renting a 22 kg botttle from supa gas and it costs me $48 a quarter. its 50ish to fill but last the best part of a year.

22kg in under a year?? I have 9kg one and its been going about 18 months. I do drink alot but I have been working away alot in the last year so I could cut that in half almost I guess but still Id expect over a year out of 22kg

if the extinguishers are CO2 extinguishers .. then they are fine to use "straight off the truck".

If they aren't CO2 extinguishers, no one will fill them with CO2 anyway.

The standard CO2 fire extinguishers have a tube in the cylinder to draw liquid CO2 for fire fighting, you need to get that tube removed so that only gas is drawn off from the top of the tank (you will wreck the regs). I have a CO2 extinguisher and costs around $35 to fill and lasts around 20 - 25 kegs.

There are companies that recharge extinguishers, if you contact one, some of them recon for brewing. good place to start.

Bluejed

I have a mate that sells PPE gear and he does extinguishers. I told him people use them for kegging and he gave me his price (best I can get here by a long shot without going wholesale) and its not to much cheaper then a proper tank. As said you have to modify or you have to run it upside down so the dip tube sucks C02 not liquid. I would of put it on the forum if I thought it was a viable option but unless he can get a better price I dont think its worth it for him or to the people buying them.

I may grab one when tax comes in just for the fact he tags them and fills them so I would get discount every way but not a viable option in my eyes unless you know some one in the game that will give you pretty much cost price.

I'd reccomend a few options here:

If you aren't sure you'll be brewing at the rate of 1 keg per week then a small soda stream unit would probably do it. Nice and cheap and to stretch it you can carbonate naturally in the keg and just use the bottle gas to push it out.

If you think you'll be brewing more frequently then look for a larger bottle possibly from e- bay.

Renting is cheap but its also dead money. I can't bring myself to do that.

If you like 4wding then you could look at Air-up and kill 2 birds with one stone. One of their bottles will do your tyres and your beer just need to change the regulators - although that's probably not student cheap, but the dual functionality could save you money.

Latest posts

Back