Another Age Article On Beer - "thirst Choice"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
The Age - Thirst Choice

another avg stock standard article on beer not just being a bbq. ie beer and food matching.

god i wish they would actually put some effort into these articles

"However, that is not to suggest that beer can simply replace wine in each and every dining situation. The amber nectar is generally a more informal beverage than wine and - in most cases - much less complex."

Yes it can. Not necessarily and I don't agree at all.
Sad that even someone as well known in the beer reviewing / journalism industry continues to conform to this line of thinking.

I enjoy wine immensely but I hate to see its supposed superiority continually trumpeted...

nice butters. but they did go the coopers and the 'black velvet' half stout half sparkling. arrhhhhh. suprised threy didnt mention shandys

But what did you really expect?

I thought the article was alright....nothing special, but I never really expect it to be really great.

True, they do need to put more effort in...I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

Is it just me, (as I am new to the brewing community) or is beer getting a lot more attention? - in the ways of specialty brews, micro breweries and media awareness??? Maybe I never noticed it 2 years ago, but the bottle shops 10 years ago didn't have the range they do now?

"However, that is not to suggest that beer can simply replace wine in each and every dining situation. The amber nectar is generally a more informal beverage than wine and - in most cases - much less complex."

Yes it can. Not necessarily and I don't agree at all.
Sad that even someone as well known in the beer reviewing / journalism industry continues to conform to this line of thinking.

I enjoy wine immensely but I hate to see its supposed superiority continually trumpeted...

c'mon wine beats beer hands down.

At least they didn't mention VB :p

+1 indeed.

Phillip - I would agree specialty beer certainly has taken off in a commercial sense, but give me a good home brew any day of the week first...

nice butters. but they did go the coopers and the 'black velvet' half stout half sparkling. arrhhhhh. suprised threy didnt mention shandys

oooh, I missed that. :huh: What a waste of coopers stout.....nasty, nay, sacreligious. Half Coopers stout and half Coopers Sparkling Ale, on the other hand.....

I think theres a real snobbery coming into this country with what I call the bloody 'chardonay set'. I live a stones throw from the barossa, and I appreciate fine wine. But these......people, that continue to push poncy, airy fairy, arty farty, artichoke hearts on pizza washed down with chardonay, North Shore house wives having a bex and a good lie down, frou frou french lettuce with omega rich seeds eating types really get my goat.........

End rant. My Northern roots are showing.. :lol:

Now, now - not all North Shore housewives are like that. Mine loves a brew, can't stand diet anything (and she's still 45 kg wringing wet), swears like a trooper (learned from me:)) and drives like a fiend.

Maybe you meant "Mosman wives"? :D They're worse, far worse, even than the description you made.

Cheers - Fermented.

apologies to all on the north shore....I was actually thinking back to the late 70's, before I went back to England, when I was living in Bankstown and similar areas, and the differences in class and income were probably a lot more pronounced than they are now. ;)

Let's just say there are differences between the two areas, but there's still a boat-load of money moving around in both, despite the differences in visible style and some inhabitants' desire for artichoke and goat cheese pizza and kopi luwak (God? Why?) at $30 a cup (I can get a kilo of top Guatemalan for that and still have change). :)

Most of the food and drink wankers are new to it so want to show off to their mates. It's one thing to appreciate it as an interesting interlude, it's another to persist at it as a status symbol. Been there, done that, shuffle that sh*t out at dinner parties by way of being a good host and then go back to regional traditional fare that stops you from being hungry and doesn't empty your pockets quickly. I'm not going into examples because I guess a lot of folk here don't eat fifth quarter. :D

Cheers - Fermented.

This beer versus wine argument that has a social more attached to it is pretty backward.
I've never been convinced of the red wine versus white wine argument either. White wine is chilled, filtered vomit (IMO) and there are plenty of reds that will go very well with a lightish meal. Just as beer shouldn't be excluded. When you look at the level of effort that is achieved in craft brewing, you realise that it really is a craft. The chardonnay set just do what they always do: believe one thing to be the desired and another to be base. True appreciation of craft comes with experience and a willingness to dip one's toes in unknown.

Back