Another 60 min boil?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal.p

Reaction score
Hi,
Due to a snafu on my side, I've ended up with 4L more than my target in a BM20.

I used a calc to find out how much to boil off to reach my OG of 1076 and its 3.7L

So I'm waiting for the BM to heat back up as I write. 3.7L is probably another 60 min boil at least.

Is it OK to just keep boiling the wort down until I hit OG/volume? I've already added all additions. Are more whirlfloc/hops required? All the hops are bittering hops now? :eek:

It'd would be great if someone had some tips on how to approach this.

Cheers,
Neal

If you had late hops you'll be extracting more bitterness from them. Might be best to make a second stronger version and mix it together for a double batch?

Maybe just put new hops in whirlpool. The recipe, Black IPA, asked for 31g Magnum at FWH, 16g Amarillo and Citra @ 30, and same again @ 10m. It is supposed to have two dry hops @ 3 and 6 days.

Unfortunately I dont have the ingredients for a double. Thanks though.

With a further 60 min boil the IBU's went from 76 to 107 with no new additions...lol...

you could start fermenting as is, make a second batch and mix together later

You'll get closer to your original recipe than just boiling more

Ta, that was a good idea. I saw it a bit late. I screwed something up. I hit the gravity but only ended up with 16L in the fermenter. I had some steeped grains but took account of that 2L by taking 2L off the mash water volume.

Latest posts

Back