Anhc - What Did You Learn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
='kook' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:14 PM' post='368775']
Ditto. I also learnt that fatgodzilla loves sour beers.

<_< <_<

Club night was brilliant, as was the array of beers on tap from micros around Aus.

:beerbang:

I believe most of the beers on club night were superior than most craftbrews. I learnt that as a home brewer, if I improve my game, I can make great beers too.

Bring on the next conference!

:super:

These are the rest of the words I was singing when I "visited" the WA Brewers section. Kook dressed like the cowboy from the Village People - who took photos ??

I Wanna be a cowboy

Riding on the range,
I've got my hat - on,
I've got my boots - dusty.

I've got my saddle
On my horse.
He's called....T-t-t-t-t-trigger
Of course.

I wanna be a cowboy
and you can be my cowgirl
I wanna be a cowboy
I wanna be a cowboy

Riding on the chuck wagon,
Following my man.
His name is Ted,
Can you believe that?
Camping on the prairie
Plays havoc with my hair.
Makes me feel quite dirty,
Though we all do sometimes

I wanna be a cowboy
I wanna be a cowboy
I wanna be a cowboy

Looking like a hero,
Six-gun at my side,
Chewing my tobacco.
Out on the horizon,
I see a puff of smoke.
Indians on the warpath,
White man speak-em
with forked tongue.
Or not.

I wanna be a cowboy
I wanna be a cowboy

My name is Ted,
And one day I'll be dead yo yo.

I learnt to only make one change or you'll never know what change it was that made your next beer super great or super crap. Consistency is the key here... be pedantic about consistency.

I learnt to only make one change or you'll never know what change it was that made your next beer super great or super crap. Consistency is the key here... be pedantic about consistency.

I like your thinking

Haha I made the mistake of making multiple changes at once. Now i'm just consistent with these changes batch to batch 'cause I don't know which one is benefitting!

I like your thinking
That is part of what is called "Scientific Technique".
They teach it at Universities.
Change only one variable at a time, and see if it makes a difference. Then measure/quantify the change and analyse to see if that change is significant or not.

Les (B.Sc.)

Change only one variable at a time, and see if it makes a difference. Then measure/quantify the change and analyse to see if that change is significant or not.

Les (B.Sc.)

Yep, but when you're having fun, making BEER, sometimes you forget... It's good to have it reinforced every once in a while.

Bonj (B.Comp. (yeah another IT guy :p))

I can't say there is one specific thing. The conference has really inspired me and I can't wait to brew. I think my brewing will outstrip what I can drink over the next few months.

The conference has also really got me thinking about all of my process' and how I can improve them. I think I have become a little slack with parts of my brewing lately but this has inspired me to get everything back in order. I can't see my self going to the lengths that Ron from Temple has but I want to start moving back in that direction.

Diddly squat.. I didnt go.. :( :( :(

Maybe next year, I mean next year... :icon_cheers:

...apart from learning I was the only one in the audience who did not smell diacetyl in that sample,
I learnt a good deal of useful stuff. Its obvious, but always important to ram it home one more time (as Jamil did): be consistent in your brewing.

I learnt 1 IBU != 1ppm iso alpha acid

I learnt that forcing oxygen into your wort (rather than splashing) does make a difference. Not sure if I am game to brush off the old aquarium pump next time I make a batch though.

I learnt bitter is being hard done by in the AABC style guidelines.

I learnt that maybe, just maybe, surfactants could hang around from a no-rinse sanitiser long enough to hurt your yeast (need more data on this though).

I learnt that Phil Sexton has a talent for delivering soul-crushing talks when beer can be talked about purely in terms of a brand, rather than a passion.

I learnt that its possible to make an absolutely fantastic sour raspberry beer in less than a year (thanks Michael G!)

I learnt that I should give Galaxy hops a go!

Berp.

I'd like to reinforce that I took away many things, including Sexton being very driven but very dry and business-like. Maybe if he'd been available to see the other talks and their passion, instead of rocking in late-ish with a briefcase (which may as well have been chained to him), wearing a jacket (in the hot Melbourne weather) and spending a lot of time on the mobile phone. I know he's running a business, but that smacks of control freak/ megalomania, like one of my old bosses (who didn't trust his management enough to run things on their own, so he monitored and directed everyone).

Also the postulation that there is beer in space, delivered by the Berapnopod himself. Quite a dry (pun not originally intended, but I'll call it mine) topic, taken and livened up for the AABC presentation. That was great, coz I missed the one delivered in Sydney and was waiting for it to be posted on YouTube or something similar.
A+ to you Andrew.

Les (B.Sc.)

Learnt the same thing as an apprentice sparkie as a method of fault finding. I have always used the same aproach in my brewing and its a good bit of advice to remember in lots of things.

cheers

I learnt from Ray that it was excellent and the organizers should be congratulated. So congratulations!

Scotty

Jamil helped me to see that it is important to keep enjoying brew day.

Not to get too caught up in measuring this and adjusting that... Get one water for pale beers, one water for dark beers and stick to them. Simplify your brewing system and process and keep it consistent. Allow yourself the time to enjoy yourself. Brewing should not be a chore, it is your hobby after all.

John taught me what the two water profiles should look like.

I learnt that Ben Kraus' Bling IPA is still one of my favourite beers. Best IPA in the country.

Phil Sexton is not a great public speaker.

I also want to put out a mention to Mark Hibberd for his efforts brewing the 4 faulty beers for us to sample and learn from. That was a very good session and I also enjoyed the interactive judging session that followed. Well done to Mark and the others.

Cheers to all for a great conference.

JS (Cale)

...apart from learning I was the only one in the audience who did not smell diacetyl in that sample,

Berp.

but did you get any slickness in mouthfeel?

i found the slickness to be the dead-giveaway in addition to, and perhaps over, aroma.

fun presentation@gala :icon_cheers:

cheers,
reVox

From the sounds of it I'll definately be heading over next year!

Not to get too caught up in measuring this and adjusting that... Get one water for pale beers, one water for dark beers and stick to them. Simplify your brewing system and process and keep it consistent. Allow yourself the time to enjoy yourself. Brewing should not be a chore, it is your hobby after all.

John taught me what the two water profiles should look like.

Is it possible for anyone to put up those two water profiles?

From the sounds of it I'll definately be heading over next year!

Is it possible for anyone to put up those two water profiles?

I have attached John's presentation from the NHC in Denver last year it looks like his anhc presentation was an update and included a summary of AU water profiles - soft.

Also look for version 2.4 of his spreadsheet at http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-3.html - bottom of page

Korev

PS I think I have almost grasped (it is a slippery beast) the RA concept from talking to John - need to try it out in practice

View attachment NHC_Denver_07sm.ppt

I'd like to reinforce that I took away many things, including Sexton being very driven but very dry and business-like. Maybe if he'd been available to see the other talks and their passion, instead of rocking in late-ish with a briefcase (which may as well have been chained to him), wearing a jacket (in the hot Melbourne weather) and spending a lot of time on the mobile phone. I know he's running a business, but that smacks of control freak/ megalomania, like one of my old bosses (who didn't trust his management enough to run things on their own, so he monitored and directed everyone).

Also the postulation that there is beer in space, delivered by the Berapnopod himself. Quite a dry (pun not originally intended, but I'll call it mine) topic, taken and livened up for the AABC presentation. That was great, coz I missed the one delivered in Sydney and was waiting for it to be posted on YouTube or something similar.
A+ to you Andrew.

Les,

To be fair to Phil Sexton. He was on the phone because there was an accident at the winnery, I believe a fatality in the carpark. So I think he did a bloody good job in the circumstances (This wasn't publized during the conference for obvious reasons). Especially with the bloody projector dying during his presentation. I also think it was good to get another perspetive of the industry, especially with the US craft market, where he is right in saying many a great base beer is ruined in the persuit of an extreme beer. I thought a very insightful presentation although I agree he could have rocked up a little earlier which would have avoided alot of the AV problems.

Cheers

Phil

I have attached John's presentation from the NHC in Denver last year it looks like his anhc presentation was an update and included a summary of AU water profiles - soft.

Also look for version 2.4 of his spreadsheet at http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-3.html - bottom of page

Korev

PS I think I have almost grasped (it is a slippery beast) the RA concept from talking to John - need to try it out in practice

Thanks!

Les,

To be fair to Phil Sexton. He was on the phone because there was an accident at the winnery, I believe a fatality in the carpark.

There was an accident on Saturday at the White Rabbit Brewery building site which is across the carpark from Phil's winery. Following his talk, both Phil and I had voicemail messages from one of the winery staff. A painter who was working in one of the trade waste pits slipped whilst climbing out, fell back in, dislodged his respirator and knocked himself out. Scary stuff. He was taken to hospital but was discharged that evening.

Phil let a few White Rabbits out of the bag. Getting pretty excited about it now.

Phil let a few White Rabbits out of the bag. Getting pretty excited about it now.
Yep, same here. Burton squares he reckons - hope they're knocking up a good ol' fashion "Ordinary" Bitter, and not another US-hopped Little Creatures quaffer (not that there's anything wrong with the Bright, Rogers or Pale!). If anyone can get a Pommie bitter right in this country, then you've got my money.

Back