Anawbs Feedback

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonocarroll

uıɐbɐ ʞunɹp ɯ,ı
Reaction score
Greetings fellow brewers!

As the President of one of the two clubs that run the Australian National Amateur Wine and Beer Show [ANAWBS] each year, I'm interested in your opinions regarding the competition. We are looking for public feedback before the competition gets into full swing this year to help make the competition even better.

If you've entered/judged/stewarded/been interested in ANAWBS then we want to hear from you! What do you particularly like about how the competition is run? What don't you like? What do you think needs improving? What would make you definitely/definitely not enter this year? The main focus on this forum is the 'B for beer' in the show's title, but if you have comments for the wine side of the show, please don't hesitate to chime in.

Comments/suggestions/etc can be added via reply in this thread or in private via PM to me, which I will pass on to the ANAWBS committee with discretion

Cheers!

1. Drop off locations that are open during business hours please QB. B)
(I know this will part will be run better this year I am sure).

2. Can we expand to cover all/more of the BJCP categories mate?

3. I like the booklet sent out at the end with results, keep that for sure.

I was not able to attend the presentations last year so can't comment on that component.

yeah easier drop off. more classes for entry if possible. I like the booklet, I like the trophies.

Don't use wooden pencils for judging, they stink the joint up.

More drop off points and preferably one that opens for business DURING business hours.

Other than that the trophies rock (unlike some comps who think beer nerds want to drink out of pewter tankards.....), best looking trophies i have seen!

Pencil for judging? Big no no.

Last year maybe not enough was done to encourage more judges to show up, either that or just many judges themselves didn't make enough of an effort to get there. A couple judges judged for 3 days, judging pretty much all the beer, I imagine theres people that entered several catergories and recieved their judging sheets back all from the same judges for every beer and I don't think that provides quite an accurate idea of where your beer might sit in the greater scheme of things compared to having them judged by a broader audience.
In the past we have had a much better showing of judges and at sabsosa last year we had an army of judges roll up, I was dissapointed to see not many made the same effort to get to anawbs for judging.
Its one weekend a year and you have plenty of notice so its pretty lame to try on a excuse like I was getting my hair permed that weekend, come on people be real and make it a prioty to be there even for just one half day.
Can't blame transport for not showing up either as anawbs is good for getting you picked up and dropped off if need be, last few years I have had phone calls from anawbs the day before with offers of transport etc which is excellent.

Also got to communicate more with sabsosa to avoid any clashes of dates, I think there was a judging session to be held the same sunday as the sabsosa presentation last year, I think that has happened before aswell.

Anyway thats my only issue, making sure there is ample judges showing up and I guess I am having a dig at those that did not show.

In response to those requesting extra classes for entry then I suggest you request what you want added, what styles do you think should be added?

My favourite comp, they always send lots of goodies.
Apart from a hiccup with the WA drop off a couple of years ago, which was beyond the organisers control, it seems to be a very well run and efficient show.

Last year maybe not enough was done to encourage more judges to show up, either that or just many judges themselves didn't make enough of an effort to get there. A couple judges judged for 3 days, judging pretty much all the beer, I imagine theres people that entered several catergories and recieved their judging sheets back all from the same judges for every beer and I don't think that provides quite an accurate idea of where your beer might sit in the greater scheme of things compared to having them judged by a broader audience.
In the past we have had a much better showing of judges and at sabsosa last year we had an army of judges roll up, I was dissapointed to see not many made the same effort to get to anawbs for judging.
Its one weekend a year and you have plenty of notice so its pretty lame to try on a excuse like I was getting my hair permed that weekend, come on people be real and make it a prioty to be there even for just one half day.
Can't blame transport for not showing up either as anawbs is good for getting you picked up and dropped off if need be, last few years I have had phone calls from anawbs the day before with offers of transport etc which is excellent.

Also got to communicate more with sabsosa to avoid any clashes of dates, I think there was a judging session to be held the same sunday as the sabsosa presentation last year, I think that has happened before aswell.

Anyway thats my only issue, making sure there is ample judges showing up and I guess I am having a dig at those that did not show.

In response to those requesting extra classes for entry then I suggest you request what you want added, what styles do you think should be added?

Judging for ANAWBS was on the holiest of holy days Jayse which is why i didn't attend. That and i was 1000 km away at the time..... but the first excuse has more ring to it.

If they switch it from the last Saturday in September i am available to judge.

Change the dates so you are weeks ahead or weeks after SABSOSA. From my perspective it seems like the 2 comps are competing when there is no reason to. The majority of locals will enter both. ANAWBS has the better trophies, SABSOSA gets you into AABC

The biggest challenge with setting the judging dates is that they have to be during the University Holidays- it's required, as the comp uses space in a University campus

The biggest challenge with setting the judging dates is that they have to be during the University Holidays- it's required, as the comp uses space in a University campus
does it have to? mid semester breaks are only 2 weeks, quite a narrow time frame to be working with...

Yes it does. The University argues they need the space during the semester, even during weekends for some reason.

lol yeah, i should have made that clear, does it have to be at the Uni? maybe something to consider although i've no idea what it costs to hire out venues...

Thanks to everyone who has given comments so far - keep them coming!

lol yeah, i should have made that clear, does it have to be at the Uni? maybe something to consider although i've no idea what it costs to hire out venues...
Lots.

Plus find a venue that has washing up facilities for glasses/pitchers; storage for the hundreds of beers and many hundreds of wines; suitable room for judging and presentation; and is available for the time needed (the behind the scenes stuff runs for much longer than the actual judging). Nonetheless, I'll pass the comments on.

Latest posts

Back