Amount Of Yeast For 11l Batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaup

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recipe which specifies one pack of yeast, the total volume of the recipe is 11 litres. I plan on using a pack of Fermantis US-05 yeast, however it says on the pack its enough for 20-30 litres. So just wondering if its going to be to much if I use the whole pack,or should i halve it?

Thanks

After looking at the mrmalty calculator I pitched half a packet (5.7g) of US05 into a 10L batch this past weekend. After 24 hours it showed some small bubbles on the surface and by 48 hours it was well & truly going. The rest of the packet is sealed in the fridge for next time.

Thanks for that.

I worked it out to be about 6g, just wondering if digital kitchen scales are good enough for this?

Thanks

I'd just go with half the packet. You don't need to be that precise.

Me, I`d probably just use the full pack and harvest a couple of 250 mill. pop top bottles of yeast slurry after it`s all over for repitching.

Me, I`d probably just use the full pack and harvest a couple of 250 mill. pop top bottles of yeast slurry after it`s all over for repitching.

Just out of curiosity, what are the possible consequences of using the whole pack?

You can use the whole pack, the advised pitch rate by the supplier will be 1g/L, but usually you pitch 1g/2L.
There will be no issues, you should get a stronger start to your fermentation but your yeast economy will be down a bit.

Just out of curiosity, what are the possible consequences of using the whole pack?

Thanks to White Labs for this info:

Is overpitching yeast harmful?

If the beer is overpitched, yeast do not grow though a complete growth cycle. This results in few new yeast cells, which makes for unhealthy yeast and low viability by the end of fermentation.

Thanks to White Labs for this info:

Is overpitching yeast harmful?

If the beer is overpitched, yeast do not grow though a complete growth cycle. This results in few new yeast cells, which makes for unhealthy yeast and low viability by the end of fermentation.
Maybe back this up with some pitching rates for us noobs

Sorry ro rehash an old post - but if I want to make an 11 litre batch (1/2 size) in my 23l container, do I need to 1/2 the Sugar I add as well ????

Is the amount of Sugar relative to the number of cans, or litres of water ?

thanks
Dogger

Is the amount of Sugar relative to the number of cans, or litres of water ?

I think that kit and kilo brewing need a little bit of sugar, but not 1kg to 1.7kg tin of goo.

I think the perfect ratio of sugar to goo in K&K brewing is 1.7kg goo can, 0.5kg sugar (better if dextrose), and 0.5g of dried malt extract for a 4% beer.

To answer your question better, for 11 liters I'd add the whole can and about 250g of dextrose and reckon you'll get a pretty good beer. Add the whole yeast sachet.

Yes you can over-pitch, however most 'home brew yeast pitching calculators' work on what is an achievable and acceptable minimum that should be pitched to give 'good' results.
For example good brewing practice on a commercial scale calls for 1 million yeast cells per degree of Plato per milliliter of wort - which if my maths is correct would be about 25% more (in the case of 11L of 1.044 wort) than what the MrMalty calculator gives.
In addition shelf life and storage conditions can have a large impact on the number of viable cells, if your dry yeast is not in the best condition it may have as few as 10-20% of viable cells.

With those sort of margins - in most cases - there is going to be a much greater chance of under-pitching compared to over pitching (even if you pitched double the 'recommended' amount).

Back